Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Rear diff light was starting to flash again, so I went under and pulled the ground, snipped the connector off and put on my own spade. It was a crimp but the wire was so small I was concerned it would pull out of the crimp, so I also soldered it. That a difference a little soldering paste and a well tinned iron make.

Gave me an excuse to buy a crimp and connector kit. Been needing on.

Tom

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Solely the ground not connecting causing the rear diff light to flash. Diff issues on subarus are very very rare but they do happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
seems like a common electrical problem. Mine just started flickering tonight, but it doesn't seem like there is an actual differential problem. I will not complain if that all it is. Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
can anyone take a picture of where the ground wire is for the sensor? Mines been flickering on and off occasionally for about a week now... I'd like to do this repair before the deep snow really starts flying. Thanx in advance to anyone that can help everyone out that has this common problem.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I was just under there this morning cleaning the terminal; unfortunately, I didn't take pictures, but you can't miss it... it's a single blade connection on the lower part of the rear differential facing the front of the vehicle.

BTW - For reference, here is a video showing the flickering REAR DIFF TEMP light. If yours resembles the one in the video, the simple fix should work.

https://youtu.be/NS3kB8bJ6sU

·
Registered
3 Posts

This is the view with your head at the trailing edge of the Passenger rear tire. There are two connectors. It is the single spade connecter that is closer to you in this photo. It is closest to the drain plug for the rear diff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for the size of that photo, I don't know how to shrink it. Press Ctrl and - on your keyboard to zoom out for the entire page.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You need to clean both of them.
The one with what looks like a yellow wire is the temp sensor.
The other one with the grease all over it is the ground wire, that the sensor needs to operate.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hay guys I have the same problem.
Light come alive and then gone , for few seconds.
First I checked fluid level. At 100K I replaced fluid, now 126K .
Clean connectors , know light is OFF.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My diff temp light started flickering on and off last night. We just had a hell of a snow storm followed by freezing temperatures, so I'm figuring a piece of ice loosened/cut or frayed the wire. I'll have a look this weekend and post back.

Update: 4/2/2017
- Got underneath the rear end and saw the wire hanging from the clip. The fix was simply (reconnect the wire) but it took some time since I decided to clean up the old one and solder everything back together. Applied shrink wrap and electrical tape to help with the weather proofing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Simple design failure, should be winterized with heavy shrink with hermetic connector for ground.

I soldered mine back in August and just last week it started flickering again... Problem now is there is no more wire to strip to clean it up. I'll have to go and basically make a wire connector. 18 awg doesn't help things.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
In the end no matter how much cleaning and adding of dielectric grease, the ground always went intermittent after a few months.

I snipped the wire and added a lug and just attached it via that. No problems since then.

Tom

41 - 56 of 56 Posts