Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the B9 was in an accident today. Everyone is fine and the cars can be fixed.

I had to stop short b/c the guy three cars ahead of me stopped short to pull into a parking lot. Car 2 and 3 made it and so did I. ABS kicked in as well as the brake assist. I came to a halt and didn't hit the car in front of me. Well, the car behind me slid right into me.

She was driving a PT Cruiser. Our bumper went into her front grill and her bumper pushed in the exhaust. We were all cool about it and agreed on what happened. The police took the report, insurance was called and the cars towed away. It wasn't a messy "you should have" or "it's your fault" crap. We all went away fine and said let insurance handle it. IMO, that is the way it should be.

Got the B9 towed to our dealer and they took a quick mechanical look at it. Needs a new bumper, pass rear quarter panel, exhaust (possibley some other hanger parts) and a new hatch as it's mis aligned now. They will make an official quote after the body shop takes a look at it.

The PT Cruiser got it bad. Front end crushed, radiator leaking quarter panels crushed into the driver side door and she had to make her way through the passenger side door. Believe it or not, after all that damage, her air bags didn't deploy.

We have NJM insurance and I'm hoping they won't give us any crap about having the dealer do the work. I'm figuring we should be ok since we are the "victims" in this case.

Onto the pictures and I'm open to any suggestions/ comments since we've never been rear-ended before.:confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bummer - also glad to hear that u r OK too. I work in Health here in Australia and was shocked when looking at the stats of how many people get killed in car accidents in your country every year.... damn scary...

take care now...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Good to see no one was hurt and the Tribeca came out of it alright. The spare also acts as a cushion for rear impact.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Welp, it doesn't look too bad:( Glad to hear everyone was alright.

I'd be surprised if they actually give you a new hatch and rear quarter panel though, it doesn't look too twisted/dented and they're expensive. When insurance gets the bill they'll probably tell the shop to bang them out first.

Where'd it happen?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd be surprised if they actually give you a new hatch and rear quarter panel though, it doesn't look too twisted/dented and they're expensive. When insurance gets the bill they'll probably tell the shop to bang them out first.
Don't say that! I'm the victim and I want all new stuff :)

Where'd it happen?
It happened by the Wayne train station on Mt. View Blvd.

I'm curious, how fast do you think she was going when she hit you?
Given the speed limit, she was at least 25mph. It was still early morning and the road was damp. The B9 did great though; stopped like it should have. Now my girlfriend will never buy another car. She is a big believer that whom ever is bigger will win. I wish I took pics of the other car to show you guys.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check out the rental we got in place of the B9. It's so fricking fast!

A base Kia Rio. Ours is ugly gold with hubcaps. I guess you can't expect much for $20/day. At least it has A/C.

·
Registered
552 Posts
That's a sweet ride there:tup: :D And I bet your GF is making you drive it around;)

Friends of ours were down in FL...they got a sweet Kia Rondo as a "mid-size" car and were expecting something like a Grand Prix or Malibu. I told them that's what they get for doing a $10/day rental through priceline.com:lol:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got the B9 back. Snork, you were right, they just banged out the hatch; no new one. It's ok, but not perfect. You'd only notice a small gap if you were looking for it. All in all, $2800 worth of exhaust and cosmetic damage. I was like "damn!" that is a lot for what looked like a simple fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Being rear-ended stinks. I got hit in my VW Jetta. $6000 to repair it. Had to get a new trunk deck. Got rear ended last week in the Tribeca. Guy wasn't paying attention. He ran into my trailer hitch, thank goodness. But he drove off. Told the sherrif and they are looking for him.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey guys, I got my Tribeca broken into this past weekend. They broke in through the front driver side window. They seem to be looking for my registration, but I never leave it in the car. They didnt take any of the electronics, just my mini cute umbrella. Anyways, I got my window replaced. I asked around for prices, and they were all over $400. So I didn't even bother to go to the dealer. I found a place that did it for $375. After it was all fix, the door seem to have a hallow sound when you close it. My brother and I think that insulation inside the door panel was taken out and not replaced since the broken glass got stuck in it.

Does anyone know or have a documentation on how to open the door panel so we can put some insulation in it so it won't have a clungky sound? I really don't want to bring it back to the dealer since I know they'll charge me a boat load. Also, does anyone know if there is an insulation there and what kind? I want to fix this myself. That sound is driving me nuts!

THanks for everything in advance!:D

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update.

The B9 is back at the dealer. I reviewed the body shop work and it sucked. The driver side part of the rear bumper had dimples as if they never sanded it, bumper fitment wasn't great as some parts had minor buckles at the seams and they never banged out the hatch enough to make a smooth seam. I took it back and the dealer was annoyed too. They obviously source out the body work, so they will have them do it all over again. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
630 Posts
hope everything worked out well and the B9 body is back to perfection..gonna have alot of waxing and washing to do lol...my wife backed into a fence when we 1st got our B9 lol

·
Registered
552 Posts
MM...it's good to see the dealer is taking care of it, but also remember that most all insurance policy repairs are guranteed by the insurance company as well for the life/time that you own the car.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
snork said:
MM...it's good to see the dealer is taking care of it, but also remember that most all insurance policy repairs are guranteed by the insurance company as well for the life/time that you own the car.
Really? I didn't know that the repair work was guaranteed by the insurance company. So basically if any of the work fails, they will fix it again for free?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I expected higher cost then 2,800 even though it doesn't look bad on the outside and banging out certain parts is a no go and replacement is. Paint job has to be good. Rear hatch replacement a must so it closes correctly and even. Make sure alignment is right on.

If you are not satisfied, find your own repair and paint shop.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Magic Marker said:
Really? I didn't know that the repair work was guaranteed by the insurance company. So basically if any of the work fails, they will fix it again for free?
Yeah, all major insurance companies should have this sort of policy...the grey area is what constitutes a "failure" or "defective" repair.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts