Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a set of winter tires for the tribeca today. Same size as factory, they will go on an extra set of factory rims that I got cheap off ebay. I'm not going to install TPMS on them since I don't want to spend the money every spring and fall to get it reprogrammed.

Wasn't too impressed with the factory tires for the first winter. Deeper snow and ice was very easy to spin tires and to slide sideways.

We'll see in a month or 2 how the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 SUV tires handle winter driving. They weren't cheap and I hope they last a few years...

Anyone else buying winter tires this year?

·
Registered
40 Posts
bionicbadger said:
Deeper snow and ice was very easy to spin tires and to slide sideways.
But that's what makes your Suby more fun to drive. Actually, I have the most fun driving my two Subies, in the snow. As for snow tires for my Tribeca, I'm just buying a different set of all-seasons with more aggressive tread than the LS2's. I have my RS as the daily driver and I have snows on that car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I always use dedicated snows, even on our subarus. Last season I picked up a set of '05+ STi 17" rims cheap and bought a set of 235/65/17 Hankook IceBear tires fro discount tire direct. Loved the tires, great combination of performance on both snow and dry. I also liked having narrower tires for the deep snow to avoid skiing.
Buying the rims and 17" tires saved me enough over buying 18" snows that the rims were free.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ziggy said:
Where did you order your tires from?

I am thinking of doing the same as you for this winter.
I ordered from 1010tires. Free shipping, no duty (since they are in Canada), and a small discount off their web site price by getting a quote from their rep on the westernsubaruclub forum. I got a quote from Kal-Tire that was $700 higher, but they would have installed TPMS. I can live without it for that price.

Might have been cheaper to order tires from the US, but duty and shipping add quite a bit, and I wanted the nokians which tirerack and some of the other online guys dont sell.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The first thing I did was to trade our 300C for a Tribeca this summer as I was tired of the Wife Unit 'mentioning' she didn't like to be stuck. The second thing I did was pick up a set of used wheels for it. The third step in my plan to eliminate my Wife's stuckness was to put a set of Cooper Discover M+S tires on the new wheels and install them on the Tribeca. So...here's some photos of the project!

Side by Side view -

The Face...stock tire on the right :)

Off with 'summer' and on with 'winter'

I'll keep you posted as we don't have any snow that has stayed yet this year and I hope the 'new shoes' don't get a good test until sometime in December.

John

·
Registered
127 Posts
I like those Coopers... gnarly tread. I don't dig the sliding during the snowy/icy times. I just took my 20's off and put the stockers back on. Looking for a good M/S to put on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts