Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday AM I get the call that the car is down two tires, we needed new ones anyways so I start shopping. We live in N. KY - so we need all season tires. No one locally has anything in stock, other than summer tires.
So - I order at 3:30PM from tirerack.com, ups ground has the tires there at 11am friday :)

The dealer did the mount/balance and so far (about 1k miles, dry, wet and snow) we are LOVING the Khumos vs the OEM tires. We got the road ventures, and have less than $800 in them purchased, mounted, balanced and aligned.

I'd recommend them for anyone with not a ton of snow, but also has to get through winter every year.

C

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Thanks for the review. It's tough buying tires for any car. It isn't like you can return them like a shirt if they don't fit your tastes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
>> It isn't like you can return them like a shirt if they don't fit your tastes.

Au contraire, my friend :)

Just buy at DiscountTire - they have a 30 day return policy.

·
449 Posts
Well at almost 60K on our Tribeca the much dreaded day by me has come. It's time for tires. The OEM tires, while not to the wear indicators yet, have gotten rock hard and have poor grip now. I did some looking around and decided on the Ventures myself. I get them installed tomorrow at a local place I've used before. I was quoted 670.29 installed. Not a bad deal IMHO considering these are 18" tires. We don't typically get much snow here in KS but this has not been a typical year (for anyone) I actually managed to get stuck on Christmas day trying to get to my Mom's house to dig her out. That was when I really realized we needed new tires :) I think these will work out well.

How are you liking your tires now that you've had them a few weeks?

·
449 Posts
I got my tires today. 670.29 out the door like the guy said. Not bad all things considered. I only drove the car from the tire place to work just now. maybe 4 miles. I checked the tire pressure and of course they were up at 45 psi-g each. I dropped the fronts down tot 36 and the rear to 35. I like to be a little higher than the door states. I'll give up a little comfort in ride to get a little better MPG's (possibly) If nothing else they look pretty nice :) and for the money hard to beat.

When I get home I'll be re-torquing the lug nuts too...

·
Registered
6 Posts
OT: Peaty...see you are a miata owner too! Mine is a beatup cosmetically 95 NA with a 99 1.8 swap (after a blown head gasket in the original engine). Are you on the miata.net forums too?

·
449 Posts
Yes I am on miata.net too, I have a 99 that's stock for the most part. I've done a few things to it. You can see what here:

http://peatpics.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=18430

Click the top left pic and it will bring you into the mods section. It's a fun car, I love it. I park my Forester in the summer and commute to work in it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the late reply, being in KY - we've had a few incidents of snow of 8+ lately and ice etc. The tires are GREAT. We've had everything, from ice on an expressway that was shut down, to 12+ of snow, to hard rain - and they've been great, definitely happy with the purchase!

·
449 Posts
We've been having a lot of the same weather with the same results. The difference between the new and old tires is pretty drastic. I've been very happy with the new tires too. I don't regret getting them at all.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Peaty....So I assume they were able to re-use the old valve stems. The valve stems have the tire pressure sensor-senders in them correct?

·
449 Posts
Yes they did not change those out and everything seems to be working just fine :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts