Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering on front of car and if it is worth it?

Is 3m best, if anyone knows and cost for those who have done it?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I had it done to the entire front end of my 08 Impreza. Hood, headlights, bumper, fogs and the side mirrors. I had Xpel used and professionally installed. It was very expensive. $800 installed. I don't regret it one bit. It was worth every penny. You can check out pricing at www.xpel.com. I've seen some people do the kit on their own, but I watched a pro do it. There was no way I could have done it on my own. He had to do some custom cutting on the fly even though the film kit comes pre-cut.

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this stuff better then 3M?

How long do these clear bras last and what care do you do for it?

I heard some yellow after a while.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I really can't say if it's better or worse then 3M.

As for longevity, I was told 7+ years. I guess you really never know until time passes. As for car, you just wash it as you would paint. The great thing about it is that bugs and such just wash off vs. having to scrub or break out the chemicals w/ paint.

I've seen some yellow, but not sure what brand it is. I guess you can just research online for real world long term experience.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
it was already installed on my 07 when i bought it. it's called roadblock and it is holding up well at close to 60k on the odometer. it started to "yellow" this year but i used a light hand polish and rubbed the material very lightly. the yellow went away and it looked new again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My dad had it done on his lexus for like 350$ canadian last week... Front off the car, mirrors. BTW, you guys should check the roof just over the windshield, i had to get the hole roof painted on my 2006 B9 because there were 5 impacts that were already rusting... Nedless to say, when I get the 3m invisible installed, i ask them to put some on the roof where the impacts were.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey folks.

Has anybody installed or had a professional install Aerogard, ClearMask AR, or Ventureshield? (BTW, these are 3M and/or Venture products -- it's a little confusing, but they're all related. http://www.clearmask.com/3M-films.php and http://www.clearmask.com/venture.php)

I'm considering these ClearMask AR kits -- hood/fenders/mirrors; grille; bumper; roof; and lights. Is $450 for the materials, without installation, excessive? I'm assuming that professional installation would add several hundred to the cost of the materials, right? I'm probably going to do the installation myself, but I may call around the MD/DC/VA area to see what kind of deals are out there. Any suggestions on installers?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
IMO, clear bra installation is best left to the pros. I watched the guy do it and it is definitely a learned art.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just did it after Subaru completely painted my car. Guy offered me Ventureshield or 3M. After I've looked at both materials for a day or two I went with 3M. It was more expencive but better quality in my opinion. 3M looked more transparent. I will post pictures as I've taken many of them when the guy was installing. I had bumper, hood, subaru emblem on the mesh grille, fenders, doorjams, part of rear gate done. It took him 2,5 hours and all the 3M rolls were cut on the plotter machine according to 3M patterns. I've asked to change the pattern a bit as I have mesh grille which does not have V-shaped part of the grill pressing against the nose. It came out very nice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Today I had Clearshield installed by Driven Dynamics in Rockville, MD. It took approximately 5 hours and the total price was $450 for bumper, fenders, hood, and mirrors. If you are in the Washington, DC area, I recommend calling Gilbert at Driven Dynamics. I checked them out on many different forums before deciding to go with them.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
tribeca09 said:
Today I had Clearshield installed by Driven Dynamics in Rockville, MD. It took approximately 5 hours and the total price was $450 for bumper, fenders, hood, and mirrors. If you are in the Washington, DC area, I recommend calling Gilbert at Driven Dynamics. I checked them out on many different forums before deciding to go with them.
Sounds like a pretty damn good deal @ $450 installed. I figure 5 hours of work by a pro would turn out to be 12 hours of work by a newb!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Clear Bra adventure

I recently traded my modified 05.5 LGT in on a Tribeca and belonged to the Legacy Association forum and noticed that all the members there (including myself) were willing to intelligently attempt almost anything on our rides.

I have yet to encounter more than ONE PERSON in this forum who has a little adventure in their blood! I installed a clear bra on my LGT, which wasn't fun but it wasn't impossible. It too me 2 hours, a heat gun, and a spary bottle with a solution of soapy water but I got er done.

If you drive a Subaru you have to have some level of adventure and experimentation in your blood. I paid $30 for the clear bra but there is no way in hell I would pay some monkey wrench $400+ to melt a bra on my car and trim off the excess.:eek:

Should I bother posting how to install a VF42 on a B9 with a FMIC? Probably not.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've restored a classic Mustang convertible stem to stern, including the complete motor rebuild. You couldn't pay me to install clear bra or window tint. I just don't see the "adventure" in it :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Whether anyone should bother to post installs is up to them.

Read a few more posts and discover how many of the members of this forum designed AND installed things...Of course, I am not one of those, but I have benefitted from their experience by learning what can be done, and how to do it. The damage to nerves in my neck doesn't allow me to get into it on my own. Instead, I take the information to someone else and ask them to do it for me.

I can thank this forum for information that allowed install of a back-up camera and an Ipod adapter. Without the bright and talented people here, I'd not have known it was even possible...let alone HOW to do it.

If you think that your system of doing something will encourage others to try it, by all means post your method...including photos. It will certainly be appreciated and used by someone.

Better to do that or let it go than to erroneously put everyone else down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Matturbo36 said:
Should I bother posting how to install a VF42 on a B9 with a FMIC? Probably not.
At least, not until you explain why you would WANT to that kind of a mod to a Tribeca in the first place :confused: :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts