Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there is any worth to try and do my own 60/90k maintenance. I skipped the 60 and now have 91k on the car, to be frank I did not even to the 30. :eek:

My dealer charges $762 for the 60k maintenance and said everything in the 90k is covered in the 60k with additional things like spark plugs.

I have a really great local shop that gives me great pricing, I did not ask him yet but I'm sure its less than the dealer. I am afraid that he does not know the ins and outs of the tribecca or fluid types for the diff and tranny.

BTW car runs great!:lol:

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you have extended warranty have dealer do it.

I would ask them what they actually do instead of just check, meaning I WILL PAY FOR SPARK PLUG CHANGE AND NOT TO CHECK THEM AND PUT THEM BACK ON!

I hope that helps, don't pay 700 bucks to just check, but if they change plugs, drain and fill tranny, diffs etc then I can see that price being worth it.

Just to change plugs in my old v8 was 180 bucks by indi mechanic to give idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

according to this
http://www.subaru.com/content/downloads/pdf/maintsched/2006SchedCA.pdf

I am capable to change the; coolant, transmission and drivetrain fluids as well as change the spark plugs.

The chart does mention a fuel filter, but I'm not sure that is needed on the tribecca, I think its in the tank.

I would want to pay my local shop to do the brake fluid since I never tried that before.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have changed myself:

- rear diff oil
- front diff oil
- transmission oil
- coolant

Once the car was on 4 plastic ramps, it wasn't difficult. Getting it on the ramps can be tricky! The car must be leveled when changing diff fluids.

I did not change engine oil yet as it was done by the dealer.

I plan to replacing brake fluid. It takes 2 people.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Shouldn't the valve clearances be checked and adjusted at 60k? I'm pretty sure they're not hydraulic. Is it a bucket and shim arrangement? Anybody done this?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Capacity of the transmissions: 10.4 US qt (9.8 liters, 8.6 Imp qt)

·
Registered
113 Posts
The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump assembly (yes, in the tank)

Valve clearance is not mentioned in any service intervals all the way through 150k in my resource

If your concerned that a mechanic wouldnt know what or how to find/research the right fluid types, I certainly wouldnt use him!

Brake fluid change does require 2 people and can some times be tricky. Certain systems need to be bled a particular way so air is not introduced into the system. If you have never done it before I would recommend taking it to someone. But looking at the service instructions it looks like a normal system and I dont know if you could use a tool to force fluid through the master cylinder (its like a pumper thing that doesnt require you to use the brake pedal. Sorry dont know the name of it but its much easier)

Considering you didnt do the 30 or 60k service i would consider the 700 bucks a worthy investment for all 3 services. The benefit is that if something happens after the fact, they are liable to correct the problem (provided its directly related).
Be careful of the dealer giving you extra work to be done that "they found" during inspection.

fyi, i recently had the tranny fluid changed in mine by dealer and it was 140 bucks for that alone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.