Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 with about 33K on it. I bought it with 30K on it. I have noticed a faint to moderate whine. I don't think it was there when I bought the car but I could be wrong. At first I only noticed it at slow speeds (low gears) while accelerating. The pitch seemed to correspond to the RPMs. The noise was not noticable at higher speeds. Perhaps it was there but was drowned out by road noise or perhaps the RPMs just tend to stay in the lower range. Out of curiosity I tried reving the engine recently while the car was in park. It sounded like the whine was there. I took that to mean that the problem is not likely with the torque converter or any of the other transmission or differential components.

Anyone else have this noise? Do you know what it is? Does anyone know how to "lessen" it? For example, if it is the power steering pump, will a different fluid help or an additive? I brought it to the dealer and they said they didn't notice anything that wasn't a typical noise for the car. I'm not sure if that meant they didn't notice the whine or if it meant they noticed it but considered it a typical noise for the Tribeca.

·
Registered
71 Posts
its a subaru... they all whine, rattle, crunch and pop... look at the consumer reports build and integrity have been ok but not great

·
Registered
18 Posts
Recently purchased a 2007 B9 w/ 22k. The thing is in great condition however there is a engine whine noise consistent with rpm's.

Listening under the hood, the whine did not seem to be coming from the accessories/pulleys...but more from the engine itself.

Normal Timing Chain Whine? Any thoughts??

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is normal. The timing chain is loud. Way louder than a timing belt. It does drown out alot of the other subaru engine noises though. I'm just happy to finally have a subaru where I don't have to change the timing belt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
whrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............

yeah.... i kept pointing that out when test driving the B9 and the sales people were like "what whine".... (meat heads!)
I really can say that it is Timing Components as I plugged a stethescope & a mic up against the timing cover and the "whrrr" did get louder upon Rev's. The drive belts.. appear to get louder as well.. maybe its just a combo of all of the above. The 2nd gen Tribeca has resolved this issue.
My wife doesnt even notice it.... Till this day, shes like what noise. But, she can be dead asleep and hear me slip a fart 10 miles away.... I fricken love it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an appointment later this week, and 1 of the 3 things for them to check out is the "whine." To me it is a little louder than normal operating noise... I think its a bad bearing or a noisy power steering pump, but I can't pin point it under the hood. Well heck it only has 22K, let the dealer deal with it.

FYI: I am also having them check out a hard-shift when cold issue and front end binding noises when parking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We get the cold hard shifts too...I kind of like that too...makes me think I am driving a 360 Modena with the F1 shifters making ultra quick shifts. I should probably have it dealt with before powertrain warranty expires.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2GC8sNaB9 said:
yeah.... i kept pointing that out when test driving the B9 and the sales people were like "what whine".... (meat heads!)
I really can say that it is Timing Components as I plugged a stethescope & a mic up against the timing cover and the "whrrr" did get louder upon Rev's. The drive belts.. appear to get louder as well.. maybe its just a combo of all of the above. The 2nd gen Tribeca has resolved this issue.
My wife doesnt even notice it.... Till this day, shes like what noise. But, she can be dead asleep and hear me slip a fart 10 miles away.... I fricken love it!
Good one...wife's are all the same!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Follow-Up

Picked up the B9 from the dealer:

Although in my opinion the "whine" is a bit too audible for normal noise levels, the dealer confirms this is the normal H6 operation. Must be the timing chain after all, its good to put this to rest.

Wonder if running Mobil 1 quiets the timing chain with its extra penetrating properties??

·
Registered
101 Posts
The whine noise described here is "normal" according my Subaru dealer. I have a different high frequency noise (described elsewhere on this board) affecting my '09, which occurs at 65-70 mph. When I went to the dealer to have my car examined, they thought I was complaining about the "normal" noise -- which I actually do not hear coming from my car.

·
Registered
146 Posts
"But, she can be dead asleep and hear me slip a fart 10 miles away.... I fricken love it!"

Perhaps it's not the sound. There is no odor :eek: to the timing chain whine.

Best way to test this would be to record "the sound" and play it back when she's asleep.;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
2010 Tribeca with 50k miles and howl

I recently purchased a used Tribeca, my first Subaru, and am rather pleased except for a ‘howl’ in my automatic transmission. The sound changes as goes up through gears and especially noticeable from start through 2nd. Dealer is investigating since engine speed also changes as gears change. Cannot believe any auto manufacturer would make their top of the line ‘touring’ vehicle with this howl or whine as I have been told by others.
I have created an audio file made from a microphone hanging at the rocker panel level off from the right mirror. But at this time do not where to store it online so anyone can listen to it. Reply if you have a web site. Sb9t did not allow an audio file attachment. But I have attached the .wav file as a zip.
I have had the dealer verify my transmission level is OK and it is. By the way from ‘Hot Low’ to ‘Hot Full’ is ONLY 1 cup of transmission fluid ! This is only a 4% difference in the total transmission fluid capacity. Chevrolet has 1 pint allowance. Anyway do not overfill.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
It doesnt sound terribly loud to me, but it's hard to tell. Maybe find another used Tribeca in your area to test drive to see if it has a similar sound?

I would certainly check and or replace Front Diff fluids, especially if it's mainly on the right side.

When I changed my trannie fluid in our 08 I figured the difference was closes to 2 cups (1 pint), but maybe I wasn't carefully measuring... It's hard to judge as you fill through the tube you check, so it's hard to get a good reading right away.

·
Registered
42 Posts
tdelker, Thanks for listening to this. Dealer says all Subaru's make same sound.

Update as of Dec 9, 2015. Still making same howling sound. Not worse, but very noticeable especially for Subaru's top of the line model. What gives? Anyone else with same noise?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts