Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering tires.

I wont see snow in HOUSTON so looking for street only good wet/dry tires for a reasonable price.

Looked at NITTO 420, YOKOHAMA 520 and YOKO geolanders, FALKENS at discount tire. I only have good experience with YOKO'S 520 on wife's previous car.

ANY EXPERIENCE WITH DECENTLY PRICED TIRES that hug the road, give good wear and low noise.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wouldn't piss on a yokohama if it was on fire.

Of those 3 I'd go for the falken. You get alot of tire for the money. I've run through 3 sets of falken azenis sports on my svx and loved every one of them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Gonna go with immortal on this one. Falkens have been, in my experience, a less expensive option with a great bang-for-the-buck factor. My Falkens were some pretty high speed rated 40-series tires, and I had them on a Saab 900 when I was about 23 or 24. Long story short, ride quality and road noise were not considerations.

I haven't tried any of the grown-up Falkens, but I can assure you that they'll be the next set of tires I have to buy.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I had Yoko's and loved them. When they needed replacing I went with Falkens for value over name. BTW, this was just on my Civic back in the day.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so no to FALKENS?

I have had the YOKO'S 520 from discount tire and were perty good.

The Nitto 420 looks good and am just wondering on tread life, anyone with first hand experience with these?

No snow for me, but dry and plenty of wet roads here in Houston.

I don't know how long these LS2 GOODYEARS ARE GOING TO LAST or if they are a good riding tire.

·
Registered
54 Posts
GREEKBOY said:
Michelin DIAMARIS i have on my car and are very nice tyre...
The michelins are excellent but very expensive.
If you have a discount tire in your area they are offering $70 rebate on a set of 4 michelins. I also have a friends and family $60 rebate on a set of 4 that can be combined with it.
$130 off - that's almost 1 free tire. :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have Michellins on OTHER CAR, but curious on the NITTO 420's?

Any personal reviews on longevity, ride quality, etc?

·
Registered
50 Posts
You might look for the Sumitomo HTR Sport H/P's

Had a set of Sumitomo's on my SVX and they were great.........;)

I'd also look into Cooper tires, which have gotten some good reviews (no personal experiance with them)

Have heard mixed reviews on the Nittos (not specifically the 420's) and didn't care for the Yoko's that we had on a previous vehicle (though the geolanders have gotten pretty good reviews on tirerack)

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm thinking about Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus tires. Local tire shop has them for ~$140 each out-the-door including tax, mounting, balancing, disposal, state fees, etc.

I had to get 1 new Goodyear LS-2 last week (flat tire:()...it came to $146 out-the-door. We've got 28k miles on the rest of the tires and they're wearing pretty well. I don't think it's out of the question to get 50k, if not 60k out of them. I don't have any real gripes that a lot of other people have with these tires. They're quiet, comfortable, above avg in the rain and just OK in the snow....not bad for an OEM tire IMHO.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Did the shop shave the tire to match the wear on the other ones? Our cars are AWD, and it's critical that both fronts are the same diameter and both rears are the same diameter.

Running different size tires (and I'm talking same SIZE, but one has 28k on it and the other is brand-spanking new) can result in catastrophic damage to the differential(s).

I don't want to scare you, but I do want to make sure you know what could happen.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If not for differentials, it is better to have tires respond the same and wear the same, I would get credit on other tire and have it replaced as well. IMHO

Discount tire would give you between 18-20 bucks, depending on tread left.

jimbo said:
Did the shop shave the tire to match the wear on the other ones? Our cars are AWD, and it's critical that both fronts are the same diameter and both rears are the same diameter.

Running different size tires (and I'm talking same SIZE, but one has 28k on it and the other is brand-spanking new) can result in catastrophic damage to the differential(s).

I don't want to scare you, but I do want to make sure you know what could happen.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What is the longevity of those COOPERS?
How many miles did the SUMIMOTO'S give you?

Rotorflyr said:
You might look for the Sumitomo HTR Sport H/P's

Had a set of Sumitomo's on my SVX and they were great.........;)

I'd also look into Cooper tires, which have gotten some good reviews (also no personal experiance with them)

Have heard mixed reviews on the Nittos (not specifically the 420's) and didn't care for the Yoko's that we had on a previous vehicle (though the geolanders have gotten pretty good reviews on tirerack)

·
Registered
552 Posts
I hear you guys on the treadwear/size and the differential...but to be honest I'm not really worried.

A) the other tires have worn pretty well
B) the extra couple millimeters on the diameter doesn't really amount to a hill of beans in practical terms. You could have more size differential just by having the tires inflated ±2psi difference from each other which is definitely not an uncommon scenario. Also the tires naturally "sit" down on the sidewall and can chew up more than a couple mm variation just due to manufacturering tolerances:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
snork said:
B) the extra couple millimeters on the diameter doesn't really amount to a hill of beans in practical terms. You could have more size differential just by having the tires inflated ±2psi difference from each other which is definitely not an uncommon scenario. :)
Correct.
Often ignored, but correct. :tup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
LORE BECA said:
What is the longevity of those COOPERS?
How many miles did the SUMIMOTO'S give you?
I'm not really sure of the actual mileage count on the Sumitomos as they were on the SVX when I bought it. I believe the gal I bought the car from had them on there for a little over a year, I had them on for another 2 years or so (I would have put about 28k on them in that time) and they still had tread left. If I had to guess though, I'd say between 38 & 40k

The reason I replaced them is I caught something in one of the tires that tore thru the sidewall, and figured I might as well replace all 4 at that point. Realize though the Sumitomos I had on my SVX aren't the same as those you would put on the Tribeca, so treadlife will vary.

As for the Coopers I believe their site list's the H/T's as 40-50k and list the CS4T (touring) at 80k
(not sure about the other models). You might want to check out their site (coopertire.com)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts