Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First post looking for info. My elderly folks just picked up a 2009 tribeca and are looking for a winter wheel/tire combo. Does anyone know the specs of the original 18" wheels? Specifically, the bolt pattern, offset and center bore along with the actual wheel width. I want to make sure any set (I'll be doing the research so they can just buy what is required) is properly hub centric has no brake clearance issues.

Since we are in Canada. Calgary to be specific, the TPMS is not legally mandated like in the USA. Can it be disabled and if so, how? dealer only? If it can't be disabled, what kind of warning does it give if the wheels don't have the sensors? Having a single light on the dash wouldn't be a problem, but if it flashes a lot and has any audible warning, that would get annoying.
I hate the thought of having to pay a dealer to change codes for the wheels every spring and fall when I change the wheels out.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I purchased a set of Subaru wheels off ebay. The wheels did not have the TPMS sensors. I installed regular rubber valve stems and mounted up 4 Cooper M+S tires (awesome tire by the way). The dash icon light will stay on but there is no chimes, buzzes, etc. to deal with. A small piece of black electrical tape over the dash light will deal with it nicely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Those look very nice. Great news about the TPMS stuff. Any idea what the specs are on that wheel? The center bore is most interesting. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great link

After looking around there I still can't find the center bore spec. I've read 56.1mm for other subarus but not sure if it's the same for the triveca.
anyone have a wheel laying around you can measure.

bionicbadger said:
Everything you need is here:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tribeca/tribeca2009.html

for wheels it is:
Wheels 18 x 8.0" 5 dual-spoke alloy, Offset 55 (2.17)

·
Registered
2 Posts
"minus 1" size decision for better winter driving!

I've not ordered yet, but engineers and TireRack.com all tell me Tribeca winter handling will be much better with 17" 235/65 rather than original 255/60 18". On this site another owner even reported using STI 17" alloy wheels, and my dealer has a special on those rims but doesn't want me to buy in case I'd hold him liable - he fears not strong enough for 4200 pound Tribeca. Comments? My bias is better off with narrower 17" winters (Dunlops made in Germany) and alloys for STI (Enkei made in Japan) are probably high enough quality to handle heavier Tribeca, so would rather do that than use cheaper made-in-China Moda brand, from TireRack, esp becuz their offset only 45, wheraeas STI is 55, same as original Tribeca wheels.

Any others out there using 17" wheels for their winter tires on Tribeca, please?

TKS!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
17s

I went with the 17" package from tire rack.

Qty Size and Description AvailabilityPrice Each Total Price
4 235/65R-17 Pirelli Winter Carving Edge XL In Stock $144.00$576.00
1 Pirelli Warranty Packet In Stock N/C N/C
1 Tire registration card -retail In Stock N/C N/C
4 17x8 moda EB1 Bright Sil In Stock $119.00 $476.00
4 Required centering ring In Stock N/C N/C
20 Required lugnut for vehicle (Nickel Plated) In Stock N/C N/C

Everything came as ordered, bolted right up and the tribeca is a tank in the snow now. All good. No TPMS sensors in the tires, so the light comes on during the winter, but it's non-issue.

MBFletcher said:
I've not ordered yet, but engineers and TireRack.com all tell me Tribeca winter handling will be much better with 17" 235/65 rather than original 255/60 18". On this site another owner even reported using STI 17" alloy wheels, and my dealer has a special on those rims but doesn't want me to buy in case I'd hold him liable - he fears not strong enough for 4200 pound Tribeca. Comments? My bias is better off with narrower 17" winters (Dunlops made in Germany) and alloys for STI (Enkei made in Japan) are probably high enough quality to handle heavier Tribeca, so would rather do that than use cheaper made-in-China Moda brand, from TireRack, esp becuz their offset only 45, wheraeas STI is 55, same as original Tribeca wheels.

Any others out there using 17" wheels for their winter tires on Tribeca, please?

TKS!

·
Registered
2 Posts
17" on Tribeca

Thanks tcp, good to know TireRack choice has worked - did your quote from them refer to the "required centering ring" and "required lugnut" at N/C? For some reason their quote to me, for same Moda EB1 wheels but with Dunlop winters, doesn't specify the extra 2 parts and I don't want garage here to have trouble - I'm thinking the extra parts are because of the 55 vs 45 offset spec difference between OEM and moda after-market...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chances are they are included in your actual shipment, but I would check with them to make sure. Most aftermarket alloy rims have a center hole that is larger than most manufacturers use, so they can be used on multiple vehicles. A centering ring is to make the hole fit onto the hub of the vehicle without any play and to make sure the weight of the vehicle is not on the lugs but on the center hub with the lugs holding it in place. Subaru seems to be 56.1mm. Most Toyotas are 60.1mm and mitsubishis are 67.1. The hole in a lot of rims is 77mm so they can be used in multiple applications with the correct spacer ring inside. The rims I ordered required different shaped nuts than the OEM to make them tighten correctly on the wheel. They were included. The offset is different because the Modas are narrower than the OEM wheels. They will sit in the correct position with the different offset.

http://www.1010tires.com/tech.asp?type=wheels

MBFletcher said:
Thanks tcp, good to know TireRack choice has worked - did your quote from them refer to the "required centering ring" and "required lugnut" at N/C? For some reason their quote to me, for same Moda EB1 wheels but with Dunlop winters, doesn't specify the extra 2 parts and I don't want garage here to have trouble - I'm thinking the extra parts are because of the 55 vs 45 offset spec difference between OEM and moda after-market...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts