Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a roar coming from the front of my 06 Tribeca. It sounds like the front drivers side wheel bearing. If I turn right at highway speeds it gets worse and left it gets better. It has 50,000 miles and I was wondering if this is normal. I am buying a bearing assembly and will install today. Has anyone done this? It looks like it bolts right up, but any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hmm...not too many people on this board have that many miles yet. I haven't heard of anything of this sort before. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I picked up the bearing assembly and will try and install this weekend. Does any one have a breakdown of the front end? Thanks.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I looked on subarugenuineparts.com they have exploded parts views in their OEM catalog, but I couldn't find anything relating to the bearings in the front suspension?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for checking Snork. Ill try and take some pictures as I do it, maybe help someone else.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have 61k on mine... no real problems except for a groaning suspension and squeak from the fire wall and dog bone joint which has been welded 2x... other than fantastic vehicle... i haven't run into any other issues as of late.. but then again it is a 06...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you mean by groaning suspansion? What is a dog bone joint and why did you have to weld it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, It was the wheel bearings... front drivers side. It is a wheel bearing assembly and was very easy to do. It took me about an hour with air tools.

·
Registered
630 Posts
my B9 has 50,000 miles and i hear this "tick" noise when i hit the brakes or hit a bump and well no it just ticks when it wants to..idk what it is? its so annyoing and its comming from the front end..right end maybe?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Roaring Sound

I've recently purchased a 2008 Tribeca with 65K miles on the clock and at low speeds, especially when the engine and transmission is still cold, I'm hearing a slight roaring sound that becomes more noticable and louder when braking and coming to a stop but the roaring sound diminishes when increasing the speed. I also tried shifting to neutral when going downhill and the roaring sound is still there.
I am totally new to Subarus and AWD, I'm not sure if this is normal to AWD systems. Otherwise, the Tribeca runs great and drives flawlessly and effortless. Runs smooth on the highway without any vibrations at all speed.
Could this be differential bearings or wheel bearings?

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
totus81 said:
Here you have instructions pdf.
This is an old post but after reviewing it, I found out it was specific to the front axle, and it is section DS-13 to DS-14 of the manual but on DS-15 and 16 it says to refer to DS-20 ASSEMBLY, Front Hub Unit Bearing does anyone have that section DS-20 for me please?
I have 275/45R2 Khumo tires and I was selling my car but a backyard mechanic who inspected it for the buyer said I had a bearing noise, I used to be a heavy duty mechanic by trade and I know the noise he's referring to is my tires, so the buyer wants me to replace the bearing and I don't mind replacing it if that's what it takes for him to buy the car, I know they are only trying to make me lower the price for the bearing and labor cost but I decided to do it myself and see if that will make him buy it or not.
If you have DS-20 for me, I would greatly appreciate.
The noise is not there on turns either side but he hears the tires humming on straight line and he says I have a bad driver's side bearing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are the rear wheel bearing assembly as easy as the front? I have a 2008 tribeca 119k miles and my drivers side rear wheel bearing assembly is making noise.
Is it something I can do without pressing anything?

·
Registered
37 Posts
We just replaced tires on our 06 (again..) and now hear some front wheel bearing noise. Mileage is 132k, bearings are original. I thought it might be a defective tire, as the noise wasn't a howl but sounded more like an old bad bias ply tire. Took it to the dealer where the tires were done, and they diagnosed wheel bearing. Said it wasn't urgent, but definitely do it soon. I'll do it myself of course, with SKF part.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Have you had the axles replaced since that last time? I'm curious as I have a suspicion that the bearing goes bad when the shop untorques the axle nut with the vehicle on the ground. There are specific warnings in the FSM not to do that (or at least there use to be).

I do my own axle swaps and have never had a had bearing other than my rear 05 that had a factory defect that was covered under and extended warranty for them because of that.

Bad fronts would be a hint that that because rears rarely have the axle replaced.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you had the axles replaced since that last time? I'm curious as I have a suspicion that the bearing goes bad when the shop untorques the axle nut with the vehicle on the ground. There are specific warnings in the FSM not to do that (or at least there use to be).

I do my own axle swaps and have never had a had bearing other than my rear 05 that had a factory defect that was covered under and extended warranty for them because of that.

Bad fronts would be a hint that that because rears rarely have the axle replaced.
Funny that you should mention that. I have had two things done - axles were replaced at about 93k, by my local shop, overall pretty trustworthy. And at the dealer two weeks ago they noted a torn CV boot and replaced it.....so I'm wondering if the axle nut was either loosened with the wheels on the ground by the first shop when they replaced the axles, or if the dealer did the same, or maybe over-torqued the axle nut when installing. The bearing started making noise about 1600 miles after the dealer replaced the CV boot.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts