Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As far as I know, only Porsche & Subaru have horizontally opposed cylinders, and Porsche's is rather a (beautiful refined) anachronism, isn't it?

So what real advantage does it have in the Tribeca & other Subarus? Is the engine & centre of gravity really lower than the competition? The height of the hood seems to be the same as all the other CUVs out there, & cornering speeds aren't any higher in Tribeca road tests than the competition.

It seems to me though, that the sprawled, wide shape of a boxer engine robs the driver of foot room, in that, say, a straight 6 (like in a BMW) is much narrower, thus allowing the wheel wells & pedals etc, to be moved further forward & the engine to be moved back a bit.

I remember my old MGB, which, while a very small car by modern standards, allowed for an amazingly comfortable driving position, with legs out straight, & the gearbox well back in the car, with driver & passenger feet either side thus reducing weight over the front wheels.

Don't know if any of you have driven a VW Beetle & then compared foot & leg room with a current Golf/Rabbit? Having the engine stuck out the back like in VW Porsche certainly frees up a lot of space in the front driver ****pit, doesn't it?

I suggest that having a boxer engine in the front gives us the worst of both worlds - limited legroom & pedal space, as well as an engine that is stuck over & ahead of the front wheels, thus contributing to understeer.

Or am I missing something? Any engineers in SB9T ?

And, HOLY SMOKES, what's with the asterisks in "cokcpit" on preview? Good thing I wasn't talking about male pheasant or airplanes even. Where does the pilot sit in a plane? in the asterix pit???? And say, for example I wanted to refer to pea****s in my post?

Am I subscribed to a religious group here or a car forum? Grow up please, administrators!

·
Registered
60 Posts
My opinion its selling stuff. Realistically I'd put maybe 5% of racers in identical track cars would honestly actually feel the LCG difference between the identical cars w/a boxer & conventional set-up. Not to mention maintenance is more labor & cost. Just my 2 cents, but I do like the boxer set-up myself as far as uniqness & I'm sure this is what Subaru is banking on.

·
449 Posts
A boxer motor is innately balanced, there is no need for harmonic balancer on the crankshaft. It also allows the front drive shafts to be the same length which is why they call it symmetrical AWD. Also the way the motor itself is flat and low the, center of gravity is lower making for a more stable less tippy car. Also with the shape of the motor not being so high it's designed to fall out and under the car in the event of an accident and not come into the cabin.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yeah, like Peaty said the balance is best technical reason for a boxer engine. And the CG is technically lower, but like you said, you'd have to be racing the car to actually notice a difference.

The boxer engine also lends itself to the Subaru "Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive" since it is symmetrical and being able to mount the engine a bit lower lines it up better for the tranny mounting and transfer cases. The compact design also allows for the front drive axles to come straight out of transfer case as well, no need for additional changes in direction of the flow of power. This does have the slight down fall though that the engine does have to be mounted a bit more forward than is ideal though for best weight distribution The engine is mounted ahead of the front axle, being a bit nose heavy, but having the AWD differential and drive shaft to the back does help bring some of the balance back vs. a FWD car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts