Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

whats a good place to get a bolt-on trailer hitch receiver?

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  AWeD Gray 
#1 ·
is it important to get a genuine Subaru component?

should I weld on ot bolt one?

does anyone have one of these? if so, how much did you pay?

Thanks

webslinger:lol:

#2 ·
Cheap pretty good hitch

go to etrailer.com

they have bolt on hitchs that go on really easy. I bought one and it is pretty good. only thing is it hangs down below the rear plastic bumper rather than go through the plastic.

Some people have modded theirs to hang up higher to look oem. It doesn't look that bad hanging down so w.e.

#4 ·
thebluedream said:
go to etrailer.com

they have bolt on hitchs that go on really easy. I bought one and it is pretty good. only thing is it hangs down below the rear plastic bumper rather than go through the plastic.

Some people have modded theirs to hang up higher to look oem. It doesn't look that bad hanging down so w.e.
Would you happen to have a pic of it hanging under the plastic bumper? wanted to see how it would look. Also, was it a easy bolt on job that didnt require too much work or time? Thanks.

#7 ·
hawker800mech said:
I installed the oem hitch on my 07. It was very easy, especially the wiring. It just hooked right up to an existing plug. It cost a bit more than aftermarket, but I'm very happy with my choice. It took me about 2 1/2 hours for the complete install.
I did the same. The kit was very easy to install. I was a little nervous cutting the bumper, but there are lines on the inside of it already showing you exactly where to cut. Then the kit comes with a nice piece of trim to finish it off. It lookes EXACTLY like it would if it had come like that from the factory. and looks nice as well.

I use it all the time... it's been money well spent.

#9 ·
I have Subaru OEM and I installed it myself - all steps are clearly descibed in the instructions that come with the kit. Very happy with the way it looks and works :) used it a lot over the summer and on vacation trip to Cape Cod. I paid 282 for the kit (my local dealer had 20% off all accessories promotion at the time) and used Subaru bucks to pay for it :cool:

#10 ·
I installed a 2" receiver hitch, lighting harness, and OEM tranny cooler this weekend on my '06 Tribeca.

The hitch went on easy enough, but was a bit cumbersome on my back by myself. It went in fine, though. The toughest part was getting the bolts routed in the right locations as the instructions misled me. After feeling around I found the correct access holes. Once all 4 bolts are in and ready, it's just a matter of holding it up and getting the bolts started. Don't mess around guessing how tight the nuts are torqued on; get a $20 torque wrench and some 1/2"-drive sockets and get it done right the first time. It is recommended that re-torque all 4 nuts after your first tow, also. I didn't modify it as Blackmax had done, and it does hang down below the rear shroud. I like his install better, but this will work fine for now.

Pulling out the jack tray was very easy to access the OEM harness plug, but I had to cut a hole in the tray to get the plug and wires inside. As far as the "clips" that you need to pull out, there are 4 of them, and you can use a philips screwdriver to get the center plug started, and then they pull out very easily. Once they are out, the tray comes right out. I zip-tied the wire to existing cables in a couple of spots, and on each side of the converter box after attaching it so it shouldn't come loose. The harness sits in the jack tray, and for now I'll simply drop the wire under the hatch when needed.

The OEM tranny cooler was pretty simple, too. The instructions are very detailed, and all of the parts are included. The toughest part is checking your transmission fluid level after the install, as it is under the cosmetic engine shroud and way down there on the driver's side. You are supposed to get it to operating temp (drive it a few miles) and then check it at the "Hot" range. The odd thing was, I initially checked it cold, and it was beyond the "Hot" range. After installing it and warming it up, it was still above the "Hot" range even though it should have dropped as there was more space to occupy with the cooler in place. I'll check it again after using it some more. If it is low, I am assuming I'll fill it by running a tube down to the dipstick neck and running fluid down that.

#11 ·
These guys have done a couple hitches for me over the years. Depending on their specials, sometimes you can get the hitch plus installation for not much more than ordering off the internet. They do barter a little. Located right in Seattle on Aurora. I would rather pay a little extra money for somebody to grunt and swear for a few hours while I go back to work. Then I have more time to play with my Tribeca on the weekends.

http://www.racknroad.com/seattle-store.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.