Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

What size are the front and rear sway bars? 25mm? I'm looking at buying some aftermarket polyurethane bushings to fix the front-end knocking noise. Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
25mm up front, not sure about the rear. The Tribeca front swaybar seems to be a popular install on other model forums, and maybe one of those folks have tried poly bushings if nobody on this forum has done it. The problem with poly bushings is noise -- I installed a set on a vintage Mustang years ago and it sounded like $#%@. However, I believe a grease specific for poly bushings is now available.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks tribeca09! Would you happen to know if changing out the bushings and links is an easy diy job? I have the service manual, and it *looks* like it should be easy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I haven't had to do it yet on my 3k mile Tribeca, but I expect this to be a straightforward diy job except as noted below. Like you, I'll do it myself with poly bushings when the time comes rather than having the dealer install oem rubber. Good luck!

Caveat: I noticed on one of those forums where somebody installed a thicker Tribeca front bar on a Legacy that they had to shave the bushings to fit. The side of the bushings facing the frame seemed to have crown, rather than being flat, and the guy shaved off the crown. You should try to check that the poly bushings you're buying will fit the Tribeca correctly (i.e., have a crown, if there's a crown on the original bushing) before beginning this project. Here's a link that will show the oem Tribeca bushings with the crown and how the guy shaved them to fit the Legacy:
http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111718
It's possible that poly bushings not shaped just like the oem bushings will cause some problems for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts