Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Subaru Tribeca, and about a month ago I started noticing a clunking sound on left turns. Took it to my mechanic and he thought it might be brake related and greased up the brakes. Got it back from him and it still was doing it. Drove it around a lot and figure out how to reproduce it exactly:
  1. Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to the left. (No more, no less)
  2. Accelerate
  3. When it gets to about 20MPH, It starts clanking rhythmically, about a 2 clanks per second.
  4. It sounds like metal hitting metal, and I can VERY faintly feel it in the steering wheel.
Brought it back to my mechanic and gave him this information; he states everything is tight and he doesn't see/hear anything wrong. I took the tire off, and didn't see anything that looked like it was making contact, but since it only happens when there's load, it's hard for me to diagnose.
A few of my mechanically inclined friends said maybe it's the CV joint, but wouldn't that make noise in harder turns too? It's so weird that it only happens when I have the steering wheel 90 degrees left. I checked the boots on that axel and they seem sound.

Any thoughts or things I could try to do to figure it out? Should I try another mechanic? Should I just ignore it?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Sounds like the front sway bar bushing is worn out. Or end link. I would be looking at the sway bar connections anyway. You can just totally disconnect it and see if the sound goes away. Don't drive too fast or corner too hard with it gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply! Would an end link or sway bar bushing make a consistent, repeating clank sound throughout the duration of the turn? It seems to be once per tire rotation. I made a little video of the sound here:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Hmmm... that doesn't sound like what I would expect from endlink. And most likely NOT sway bar. To me it sounds like the CV. Does the speed of the clank change with the speed of the car, or the speed of the engine? It's not the typical click,click, click of a CV though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took it to a new Mechanic; it was the CV! They replaced it and it's good to go. Thanks for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts