Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much would be for replacing water pump on Subaru Tribeca 2006 B9 and any advice would be appreciated. . Thank you for any help

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
It's a lot of work because you have to get inside the timing cover and remove the chain.

Are you sure you need to replace it?

Not sure about price...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what I been told by my mechanic. He wont do the job and dealer told me $1400 but they are surprised because the guy I talk to never had Tribeca with bad water pump.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Its rare, and usually only a small weep. I don't think I've heard of a badly leaking one.

If you coolant level is stable, i would just monitor.

$1400 doesn't sound unusual given the work involved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I been also hearing whining noise and my mechanic told me is coming from the water pump.I will get second opinion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How much would be for replacing water pump on Subaru Tribeca 2006 B9 and any advice would be appreciated. . Thank you for any help
$1200 at the dealership. Involves taking off the timing cover, timing chain etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
tribeca

Its not a bad job, factory water pump is 140.00 tube of grey silicone, 2 gallons of antifreeze, thermostat and gasket. Most shops can do it in a day 700 tops, dealers don't have a lot of experience replacing the pump on the Tribecas, find a good independent. You will be money and time ahead.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
As many have reported, taking the timing cover off is a bear.

I wouldn't trust an independent, they rarely know the subaru engine, unless they specialize in subarus.

They all use the same book time, it just comes down to labor rate at the shop. Dealers tend to be higher for sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
WP

I don't find that true, unless you are using a general facility garage that doesn't see many Subaru's. The garage I use has plenty of experience and Subaru's are everywhere. I would not trust a general mechanic that hasn't done the job before. Unless you have a certain knowledge that the best guy at the Subaru dealer is doing the work, I wouldn't chance it. By the way, My water pump leaked out of the weep hole for months before I did the job, so you may have time, just be sure to keep the coolant level up to snuff.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I personally would only bring my subaru to a dealer or our local subaru expert - Superupair of something like a headgasket. For the water pump, it's not a very technical job even if it is challenging to get all those screws out without breaking a few off.

That said, I don't even trust those shops, and have always done my own repairs.

To each his own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check YouTube

I had an ongoing anti-freeze blowout problem which was quite troubling. I was battling it for about 2 years. I have a 2006 and follow this forum and several others. Understand that my Tribeca is not a daily driver. I have two other cars which I use regularly and I only use the Tribeca to tow, haul stuff to the dump, and in heavy snow driving. It has about 120K mikes. It is my 3rd car and I will never stray too far from home. So, first problem was the radiator blew out at the bottom bracket. It would only leak when the car got real hot. By the time I identified the problem I decided to replace the radiator, the thermostat, and all the hoses. Good idea, summer of 2018.
Next up, during 2019 car would just loose coolant and overheat. I finally figured out that it was the oil cooler transverse pipe that had a pinhole leak. Four gallons of antifreeze later I bought a replacement pipe. Kept having the the same coolant leak. WTF??? I was thinking that it was the water pump but I couldn't catch any weep hole leaks. I researched changing the water pump. Whoa!!! Problem was the oil cooler pipe I bought to replace the bad pipe also had a pinhole leak; it was a defective part. I removed the bad 'new' oil cooler pipe and just capped both sides with rubber caps.
What I want to say is that if your water pump is truly bad, replacing it means that you must either remove the entire engine/trans assembly and do it on an engine rack, OR remove the entire front header of the car and do it while the engine is still mounted in the car. Either way, it is a HUGE job. There is a Russian guy with a Tribeca that filmed his water pump job and put it up on YouTube. He removed the front end of the car. Bumper, headlights, radiator, etc etc etc, it all came off. He did the job without removing the engine and trans. It is a great video. Who cares that he only speaks Russian, you can see exactly what it takes and this is no small job. Another thing to consider is if you are going to do a water pump, should you also replace the timing chain? You should replace the timing chain IF you are replacing the water pump. Should you also replace the head gaskets???? (They go bad often) If your engine has 140K+ miles you may as well replace the head gaskets and if you try to do that job while the engine is still in the car, it is almost impossible due compartment clearance. Better to pull the engine and just do water pump, timing chain, head gaskets and every other gasket and seal at the same time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
tribeca

You won't need the timing chain, maybe the top guide because the plastic breaks a bit and causes it to move back and forth, but even at 200000 timing chains stay in good shape. If and only if the oil has been changed at good regular intervals. The only hard part about taking the whole front end off is recovering the freon. You can get that sucked out at any shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
TC replacement

When I say "Timing Chain" I am really referring to all the replacement pieces that come with the TC kit. That would include the tensioner and other parts. Reason why I like to replace chains is because they stretch over time. Take any new chain and over lay it on any similar 100K chain that hasn't broken and you will see how much these things can stretch. Stretched chains not only slap around inside the timing compartment but that micro-stretch will shift the timing just so slightly and stress the engine and reduce fuel economy. You already have two VVT solenoids pushing the advance of the timing anyway, why make it even worse?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts