Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought the winter season was over and left my front window open about a half an inch since I have rainguards and just wanted the car to air out a bit in the nicer weather. Freak snowstorm saw winds blowing sideways, woke up to my drivers side window controls covered, and snow blown across my dash right into the center vent above my radio. Cleared out as much of the snow as I could but it was all up in the vent. No problems with my windows or locks, but I think the snow that went in the center vent melted into the radio causing me issues. Immediately after starting the vehicle the radio did not work or light up, about an hour later radio lit up but I could not hear any music coming out of the speakers, if I turned the volume all the way up I could hear some really low thumps coming from the crappy factory sub at the rear passangers side. Left the radio turned off and tried it a couple days later and everything was fine, radio played great for a week. Then we had another cold spell and the radio is back to just the very low thump when volume is turned up to max. Now that we're seeing warmer weather I think I'll rip the dash apart without as much risk of breaking any clips so that I can see if theres any visible damage. Anyone have any suggestions of things I should look for or any way to trouble shoot this problem? I was thinking of checking for corrosion in wiring harness and potentially opening up the radio and wiping the innards with some IPA. Anyone? Bueller...?

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
343 Posts
disconnect all connectors, blow with air, clean physically, use some deox... but that doesn't mean that water didn't get to PCBs and it didn't already corrode there...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So with the warmer weather finally arriving here in Niagara Falls Canada, I was finally willing to attempt my radio repair. I was easily able to get the trim off the dash and around the gear shifter, slide the center console/arm rest back, and remove the radio from the dash, without any issues because of all the helpful How-To's posted on this amazing forum. Now that I had the radio out, I was diving into the unknown. I checked all 5 connectors on the back of the radio, all clips looked clean which was a little discouraging since corrosion in them would have been easily cleaned and a quick fix to my problem. The stock radio in my 2009 Tribeca was made of 4 separate components held together by 2 brackets, one on either side of the radio. On the bottom is the sirius radio receiver, above that is another component (I'm thinking it may be the small amp for the useless factory sub in the back of the vehicle), and above that at the top of the bracket are 2 separate parts that are kind of combined: the radio/receiver and the 6 disc player underneath it. I was able to undo the 8 screws holding the radio/CDPlayer into the bracket (I left the other 2 components in the bracket to hold it all together), and then I was able to take the back of the radio off by undoing the 8 screws holding it on, they were a mixture of Phillips screw heads #1 and #2, there were no wires or anything else holding it to the radio, its kind of like a heat sync I think. With it off, I saw 2 matching transistor like chips, each had about 30 prongs connecting to the board, and there was a burn mark and some corrosion at the bottom of one of them that affected 6 of the metal connections where the chip was soldered to the circuit board. This was the only place I saw anything that looked abnormal. I used a small wire brush to clean off the corrosion and I used some Isopropyl alcohol to clean it all up until it was nice and shiny and looked like the other pins, I reinstalled the back of the radio, put it back in the bracket, reinstalled everything and my radio works great again! Only took a few hours but saved me hundreds if not a thousand dollars. Thanks to everyone that has contributed so that go-getters like me can tackle a repair like this without going in completely blind, you are all so awesome I can't even begin to explain my appreciation for you all!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts