Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about cutting the parking brake ground wire behind the monitor which would allow me to watch DVDs on the NAV while driving. I spoke to a friend about it who works for an insurance company and he warned me against it. Apparently if there is an accident or even worse, a fatality, the first thing the insurance company will do is look for any modifications to the DVD player or NAV. They will look for any way out of having to pay damages. They have trained technicians who will look for these things. I never really thought about it until he mentioned it. I thought that I would pass it along.

·
Registered
152 Posts
avjunky said:
I was thinking about cutting the parking brake ground wire behind the monitor which would allow me to watch DVDs on the NAV while driving. I spoke to a friend about it who works for an insurance company and he warned me against it. Apparently if there is an accident or even worse, a fatality, the first thing the insurance company will do is look for any modifications to the DVD player or NAV. They will look for any way out of having to pay damages. They have trained technicians who will look for these things. I never really thought about it until he mentioned it. I thought that I would pass it along.
Innoncent until proven guilty. They would have to prove beyond a resonable doubt that you where watching a movie at the time of the accidnet in order to get out of it (in which case they should be able to); otherwise they're going to be up for a serious breach of contract lawsuit and unless they could prove it, they'll loose.

Just because you wanted video to be visible without your parking break on (ie.. I never put my E-Brake on unless i'm on a hill), or just the ability to display on the screen without the Ebrake, doesnt mean they can breach contract and leave you liable.... I have no worries... *Snip*:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
awd_envy said:
Innoncent until proven guilty. They would have to prove beyond a resonable doubt that you where watching a movie at the time of the accidnet in order to get out of it (in which case they should be able to); otherwise they're going to be up for a serious breach of contract lawsuit and unless they could prove it, they'll loose.

Just because you wanted video to be visible without your parking break on (ie.. I never put my E-Brake on unless i'm on a hill), or just the ability to display on the screen without the Ebrake, doesnt mean they can breach contract and leave you liable.... I have no worries... *Snip*:D
Innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply for insurance contract law. They can deny you for whatever willy nilly reason they feel like and then YOU have to sue them to prove they were wrong.

I don't know about the initial claim, but it seems reasonable they would look at modifications as easy ways out of paying claims.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Without wishing to upset anyone...... don't you think that there is a damn good reason why you can't watch video while driving?

·
Registered
127 Posts
SimonD said:
Without wishing to upset anyone...... don't you think that there is a damn good reason why you can't watch video while driving?
+1 Don't we have enough problems with people talking on their mobile phones, reading the paper, doing their makeup... etc?

You wanna watch TV..? have someone else drive and sit in the back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts