Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Not yet, but I plan on getting one so I can rotate my own tires too (although I imagine you're changing snows). Haven't really looked, but the standard spots are a good start. When underneath, look for the frame and where the suspension link arms connect, those are the spots the can obviously already carry the weight of the car.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, changing over to summers... I did it on my outback... in the rear I just put it under the rear diff and jacked up both sides at the same time. In the front I used exactly where you suggested, right where the front trailing arm meets the subframe. I don't want to use the emergency jack points as its really only setup for the emergency jack, the floor jack I have doesnt have the right "mating" and I think I may end up bending some metal.
I just hope the tire guys didnt tighten the lugs too tight on the snows.
Anyone know the correct torque for the lugs on the aluminum rims... I'm guessing somewhere around 90-110ft/lbs?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did my outback to 90lbs + or - 5lbs... I have one of those cheaper torque wrenches with the arrow rather than the one you can dial it right in.

·
449 Posts
You can jack up the car in the back using the rear diff and for the front there is a jacking plate below the steering rack. Same as all other scoobies. If you use the side you should use a pinch weld adapter so you don't bend the pinch weld.

pics and info here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6696

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up using the emergency jack since I really couldn't find a safe place to jack it up... The rear diff does not show as well as on the outback. There is lots of plastic underneath and I was scared of not being on the right spot.

The emergency jack worked fine in any case. I had my neighbors impact wrench so getting off the lugs was uber easy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Peaty said:
You can jack up the car in the back using the rear diff and for the front there is a jacking plate below the steering rack. Same as all other scoobies. If you use the side you should use a pinch weld adapter so you don't bend the pinch weld.

pics and info here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6696
Cant login to site... Does anyone else have the pictures of the jack points?

·
Registered
771 Posts
When you lift the car using the front jacking plate, do you remove the plastic engine cover first? If not, don't the cover get damaged?

·
Registered
771 Posts
On my 07 the engine cover is directly attached to the jacking plate.

·
Registered
771 Posts
This is how I do it....the blue foam comes from large floor squares used for kids to play on for example. I had to glue 5 layers as it is too soft. The wooden circle was added to gain an extra inch of lifting need so I can use my DIY wheel cribs.

The blue foam sits partially on the plastic engine cover. I do not like that but what can I do?

I can also use it with the pinch weld adapter. The soft rubber would compress adjusting to the changing car angle when lifting using only one of the 4 locations on the side.

Attachments

Reactions: thompsonrc

·
Registered
783 Posts
Let me bump this up. I have a question about the pinch-weld adapter shown in the photo. Does it put stress on the outboard portion of sheetmetal (the rocker panel), and if so, is there any visible deformation? Factory jack is stepped on the top, designed to apply force only against the reinforced portion behind the pinch weld.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I went to the garage to check it out.

Both, the adapter and factory jack, have a flat surface on the side facing out. But what prevents this side from applying pressure is the bump on the inside side of the pinch weld.

You should be able to turn the factory jack around and still end up applying pressure on the inside side of the pinch weld.

So both methods should be safe. However I prefer lifting using the rear diff and the front brace. I prefer placing the whole front or rear on the wooden blocks:

http://www.sb9t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2811&highlight=wooden

When I looked at the pics I posted above I think I remember that the adapter when lifted high skewed little bit and did apply some pressure on the outside side of the pinch weld. Saying that, I think it is fine to be used for wheel change but I would not recommend using it to be lifted high up to reach the height of the wheel cribs.

I have since upgraded the floor lift and can lift the car using the read diff or the front brace.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts