Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 2006 Tribeca B9 7 passenger, I do not have Nav nor do I have a DVD player. I have read several posts about installing a Back up camera, and Ipod Auxiliary into the double din screen. I have a few questions though.

1. Because I do not have Nav can I still connect a back up camera to my unit? Do I still have the same connections on the back of my unit, as the Nav unit has?

2. I have been searching around and have found that you can purchase Ipod Integration kits from Subaru but they are modeled for 2007-2010. Why won't the kit work for a 2006 model? I really would like to know if it's possible to use install a integrated Ipod cable? or can I only install a regular auxiliary cable for Ipod hook up. You see I really would like to be able to have one cable that will both charge and connect my Ipod to the stereo.

Could anyone give me some help on these issues and if you have thread links could you post one's that have pictures of step by step installations for both of these projects. Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
No one has responded to you, so I will:

Without Nav or CD changer, you are going to have to find another way to do this. Others have indicated that only the factory (Kenwood) unit would work, but that was with the CD changer. You should be able to use whatever will fit in the dash in terms of DVD player and take the camera feed off of that. One example is the Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD which is designed for back-up camera. You'd need to measure to see if it will fit. Another is found here
http://www.merimobiles.com/Intra_Car_Double_Din_DVD_Player_Reversing_Camera_p/meri0168.htm
You can do an advanced search at dogpile.com for camera 'double din dvd' It will give you alot of choices. As far as taping into the system of the Tribeca goes, you can try this forum.

Here's another idea
kmartin said:
I bought a $99 wireless backup camera at Target and installed the monitor inside the sunglasses compartment above the RV mirror. I can pop the compartment down in reverse, and then close it up out of the way when I'm done. The picture quality is pretty good in the daytime and so-so at night, but it beats a lot of the alternatives for cost/value. I wired the monitor into the compass/mirror, and it works very well. The camera mounts on your license plate cover and is wired into the backup lights, BTW.

-Karen in AZ-

PS: I did also install a video line for my iPod into the back of the nav screen, so I am using it for something constructive :)
You should be able to find stand-alone wired or wireless back-up kits easily as well. They run from expensive to cheap.

Hope this helps. If not, this thread surely will:

http://www.sb9t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436&highlight=back+camera

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your help, do you know of a double din replacement unit that will still display the mpg, trip, etc...? or do i have to give that up to get the back up camera option and ipod connectivity?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
JustinCredible said:
Thank you so much for your help, do you know of a double din replacement unit that will still display the mpg, trip, etc...? or do i have to give that up to get the back up camera option and ipod connectivity?
I've never seen a HU that displayed the MPG and the other tidbits the stock unit does. Another alternative would be to source a Gentex mirror with a small LCD in the rear view mirror. I was thinking of doing this. Power the mirror from map lights and run a wire to a camera out back. I've been hesitant as a new Gentex mirror w/ LCD is $400 alone......

·
Registered
146 Posts
Magic Marker said:
///I've been hesitant as a new Gentex mirror w/ LCD is $400 alone......
Good reason to hesitate. YIKES! :eek:

I'd rather not spend that kind of money and there are several other solutions available.

·
Registered
146 Posts
JustinCredible said:
Have to give it up. I suppose you could look into a factory unit from the dealer, but $$$$$$$omething might make it unattractive, if available at all.

·
Registered
118 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts