Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
If all they do is scale the platform to the size needed they probably can get away with a simple change in driveshaft length and cv axle length, leaving the rest of the drivetrain sub-assembly alone.

Also according to a member on legacygt.com a 2.2L engine will power this 7 seater when it comes into production, and pilot vehicles are expected in April 2017. A 2.2 twin scroll turbo would make a lot of sense here, more power down low than the 2.0 (which is no slouch), and better economy than the ej25. I would be willing to bet a 2.2DIT could put down 260hp and similar torque without breaking a sweat, now about that transmission...

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I bet a 260HP 2.2 could put down around 290lb-ft of torque given the FA20's numbers.

If there was an electric assist on top of that the car could have some serious giddyup.

My nostalgic side likes the 2.2L number as well, given how great the original EJ22 was - despite its lack of top end power, that engine was one of my favorites and makes me miss my '95 Legacy.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I drove a 2016 wrx today, I have to agree the get up and go with such a small engine is fantastic! A 2.2 version would be plenty to power a 4000lb SUV.

Sadly we will be car shopping soon...the Tribeca's age is starting to show through, she is still pretty though! We were hoping to hold out for the new subie, but it may not happen...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Just a slight informal gossip update, apparently their is a 2.4L turbo engine being worked on in the Indiana plant...some speculate it may power new STI and the Viviz...

·
Registered
548 Posts
2.4t, probalby good for 300-325hp max, and that is peak power, Viziv would need another hybrid motor or something not to be extremely slow.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
With some different tuning and a smaller turbo, that size engine could definitely work without a hybrid, but an electric assist would definitely be nice for both performance and fuel economy.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I've heard the same rumblings from Lafayette on a larger turbo, but in the context of a potential replacement to the current FXT's and WRX's FA20F.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Looks like one dealer is already getting a head-start on marketing:

http://www.planetsubaru.com/2019-subaru-ascent.htm

They're calling it the Subaru Ascent, and looks like deliveries will start in May 2018.

If the dates hold, looks like we're only about a year away from orders.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts