Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seriously, no one has posted this yet?:eek::confused::lol:

http://www.subaru-global.com/ms2016/la/

Surely, this appeals very much to me/us as a TB replacement due to its most welcome size plus the anticipated typical Subaru virtues. Better have a lively powertrain though as well as at least 1400 lb payload and 5,000 lb towing capability.

Of course, as feared, it seems to offer nothing more than the usual for off-road use but I doubt anybody was holding their breadth for that.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I saw it on jalopnik yesterday, and it does look good, just like most subaru concepts what ends up being produced is generally way off though.
truthfully im more interested in the specs then the visuals, what will it have for power plant. this thing is massive i mean its almost 15 inches longer, about 6 inches wider and taller. so it must weight at least 46-47 hundred pounds.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup. They need something interesting. In addition to size, the TB, esp the B9, suffered from a drivetrain that was neither lively, nor economical. Delivering on both counts plus size could make this the real deal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for the posts. I totally missed this. I am in an Outback for now, nice, but I miss my Tribeca already. Can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the posts. I totally missed this. I am in an Outback for now, nice, but I miss my Tribeca already. Can't wait to see it.
If you went H4, I can see that, if you went H6, I cannot;)

A Tahoe is the biggest that would fit in my garage. I am not sure what to expect. CR are quick to say it will be midsize, not full size, but I doubt they know any better than any of us here. Sure, the current size could be a marketing trick, but I doubt the production model will shrink all the way to 195" or so. Besides the length, it is remarkable how wide the prototype is.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right, of course, I should have thought of those. The pics seem to confirm that we may guess a little better than CR, lol.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Along with power plant and mpg, how about a bigger tank? Was ready to leave the Subie fam for now with the recent repairs on my 07, but if this pans out, I'd be more than happy to keep it till the upgrade.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Looks like Toyota Highlander.
Well... I believe I prognosticated that it would be built on the Highlander platform, so I'm going to go buy myself a cookie, now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Along with power plant and mpg, how about a bigger tank? Was ready to leave the Subie fam for now with the recent repairs on my 07, but if this pans out, I'd be more than happy to keep it till the upgrade.
Yes! this and normal sized wiper arms!!!

Well... I believe I prognosticated that it would be built on the Highlander platform, so I'm going to go buy myself a cookie, now.
Winners are given a cookie, while wrong answers result in buying cookies for the winners.

I read the 7 seater is going to be on the Subaru SGP platform. I guess it would be more accurate to say it will be built on a Impreza platform...

Speaking of cookies, psygnal11, your suggestion just made me want to eat a cookie after I posting. And I also know I am going to get heart burn after I eat it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know where anyone gets the idea Subaru would use another automaker's platform...looks aside that is.
I can see why psygnal11 thought that. Toyota and Subaru cooperated on the BRZ/FRS. You think there would be more than one vehicle to come from that joint venture.

Subaru also has had a history of selling rebadged cars to plug holes in their lineup. Before Subaru had the Exiga in Japan, they sold the Traviq, a rebadged Opel (GM) minivan. They are still doing it currently, they stopped making their own kei-cars and are reselling rebadged Daihatsus.

·
Registered
837 Posts
They cooperated on the design but Subaru built both then Toyota styled their own, but in the US market I can't recall Subaru rebranding any other auto makers vehicles as their own. I do know of the Saabaru that happened here, but nothing else comes to mind. Maybe Subaru built Camrys...

Subaru is dedicated to their awd systems and as such their platforms evolve around the powertrain sub-assembly, something most other plants probably aren't equipped to produce. Equipping them to do so would be so costly I can't imagine an instance in where it would be economically feasible for the other automaker and beneficial to Subaru in terms of quality and reliability.

As far as joint projects go, it has been stated many times in press releases most of their cooperation is based around Toyota filling gaps in hybrid capability and engineering. Subaru plans to be producing all Subarus sold in America from their North American plant, that is why they have moved Toyota out.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe that comment was...an attempt at humor? One can hope...

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
The last Subaru that was sold under Subaru's name that was a rebadge in the US was the Justy (Suzuki Swift).

Very very unlikely that this is not the SGP, considering Subaru has said themselves it would be built based off of that platform (according to one of the Viziv-7 articles I read).

Obviously the tub has to be different, with such a change to wheelbase and overall size.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts