Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the dash creaks and squeaks a lot during cold weather. Especially on rough roads or even when turning. It started happening last winter, but the tech couldn't recreate it so it went unrepaired. I lived with it, but once the warm weather came back the creak/ squeaks were gone.

Fast forward....it came back again and it was around 30 degrees out. Since we were in the area, I rushed over to the dealer and had the Service Manager hop in the car for a ride. The noise was coming from the center over to the passenger side of the dash. Thankfully, the noises were still there. He said they would need to take the dash apart and install some silencing tape. It's getting done this week. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

On a side note, since they are already taking apart the dash, they are going to install our iPod kit for minimal costs. :tup:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Try to find out what they did to the dash. I think ours has the exact same "rattle"...every once in a while it sounds like there is a rattle or something loose right behind the navi screen on the passenger side. I have found that if I push inward directly on the dash on the top-right above the navi screen the rattle would stop, but it takes a fair amount of pressure.

Also, let us know how the ipod kit works out, and pics?

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is interesting. We have what appears to be a (cold) temperature sensitive rattle coming from the RHS of the dash. The only thing is........ our car is r/h drive!
Putting pressure on the instrument binnacle appears to stop it but who knows - it's never there long enough to get it to the dealer. I'll be interested what happens with your car.
Simon

·
449 Posts
Today I noticed a pretty bad rattle in our dash. I don't typically drive the B9 as it's the wife's ride. Today we went down a small section of cobble stone and there was a horrible rattle (tapping sound like a harness hitting metal) coming form the right side about half way back on the passenger side. Somewhere by the center back of the airbag hatch I think. My wife put her hand in the area and pressed down and it just about stopped. It does not look like a fun area to investigate :( It was warm here today and if it's nice tomorrow I'm going to maybe try and remove the glove box and see if I can get back there. Anyone else with this issue? Unless the road is pretty bumpy it does not seem to do it. I don't hear it at all on the highway.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Peaty...that's pretty much identical to what we have. I've been too lazy too look up instructions to remove the navi/stereo screen, but I recall it's not too hard to do, I think you could gain the needed access from that opening.

·
449 Posts
Removing the stereo screen is exactly what I was thinking might give me access too. I could also clean back there as it's seemed to gathered some dust due to static The bad news is we went from a almost 70F day yesterday to 20 today. I don't want to mess with plastic till it warms up least I crack anything. I may peek above the glovebox to see up there though.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our appointment is all set for next Saturday. I'll find out exactly what they did and let you know how it all worked out.

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our dash noise was resolved just the other day. I didn't get a chance to talk to the service reps since I picked up the B9 after service hours. The service report states that the tech found that the there was excessive gap between the dash and windshield. So I guess they pulled the dash out and reinstalled closer to the windshield. The noise is gone, but from time to time there is a new louder squeak coming from the passenger side. I'll give it a little time before I report that one in. Other then that, I'm pretty satisfied with this fix.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Magic Marker said:
Our dash noise was resolved just the other day. I didn't get a chance to talk to the service reps since I picked up the B9 after service hours. The service report states that the tech found that the there was excessive gap between the dash and windshield. So I guess they pulled the dash out and reinstalled closer to the windshield. The noise is gone, but from time to time there is a new louder squeak coming from the passenger side. I'll give it a little time before I report that one in. Other then that, I'm pretty satisfied with this fix.
I posted this same issue almost a year ago on NASIOC as well as here and no one else seemed to have had the problem then! Anyway, I know the sound well. Its kind of like the sound a radiation geiger counter makes when doing a reading. Anyway, in my case I brought the car in 4 times, each time leaving the vehicle there and getting a loaner. The first time, they completely removed the dash and reinstalled but after a week the sound came back. The next two times, they thought it may be one thing or another and replaced parts (a "Sun Sensor"?) only to have the issue start right up again. I went in several other times in the mornings to get their master tech to hear it on a test drive and of course it would never happen then. However, the last time I went in, it was happening real bad and I finally got the tech to hear it and acknowledge it! They kept my car for almost 5 days but I must say it isn't doing it now and its been about 2 months now.

Anyway, I hope the sound hasn't come back in your case because the sound SUCKS, and unless you crank up the stereo its hard to ignore! Let us know how it worked out for you!

·
Registered
71 Posts
It most likely is the dog bone that is attached to the firewall which is in the engine bay... i have had my Tribeca re-welded 2x... it eliminates that clickity noise...

·
Registered
160 Posts
HB_Dad said:
I posted this same issue almost a year ago on NASIOC as well as here and no one else seemed to have had the problem then! Anyway, I know the sound well. Its kind of like the sound a radiation geiger counter makes when doing a reading. Anyway, in my case I brought the car in 4 times, each time leaving the vehicle there and getting a loaner. The first time, they completely removed the dash and reinstalled but after a week the sound came back. The next two times, they thought it may be one thing or another and replaced parts (a "Sun Sensor"?) only to have the issue start right up again. I went in several other times in the mornings to get their master tech to hear it on a test drive and of course it would never happen then. However, the last time I went in, it was happening real bad and I finally got the tech to hear it and acknowledge it! They kept my car for almost 5 days but I must say it isn't doing it now and its been about 2 months now.

Anyway, I hope the sound hasn't come back in your case because the sound SUCKS, and unless you crank up the stereo its hard to ignore! Let us know how it worked out for you!
That was exactly the sound we had in our Beca. It was coming from passenger side Sun Visor :) which your dealer probably replaced because pushing Sun Visor up provided short time relief, so they probably thought the visor was the problem. However, I found that it was the extra heat gun glue that was touching the plastic subframe under the roof panel that was making the sound - see my link above how I fixed it for under $10 with thin felt material...

·
Registered
192 Posts
SubOperator said:
That was exactly the sound we had in our Beca. It was coming from passenger side Sun Visor :) which your dealer probably replaced because pushing Sun Visor up provided short time relief, so they probably thought the visor was the problem. However, I found that it was the extra heat gun glue that was touching the plastic subframe under the roof panel that was making the sound - see my link above how I fixed it for under $10 with thin felt material...
No, it was definetely the dash (the right side) not the roof. As I said, they finally fixed the problem a couple months ago. However, I am starting to hear the sound ever so slightly again very periodically, but when it happens now its seems to have shifted to right in front of me on the LEFT side of the dash. The sound truly seems to be something to do with the dash plastic itself rubbing against something such as the glass. It could also be the fit of the defrost vents. SInce the sound is so minimal now, I won't bother unless it gets back to how it was before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the dash noise too

The right side of the dash on my '06 makes the same annoying noise from time to time. At first I thought that someone dropped an object down the center vent...not so. The noise comes and goes, seems to happen in both cold, warm and hot temperatures. Apparently no one knows the source or the fix...I sure don't.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts