Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted a little more oomphff from the audio system, but as a family car I didn't need anything extravagant. I read plenty of reviews on the Subaru addon subwoofer (H630SXA000), as most had good things to say about it for the price point. I got one new off someone on ebay for $65 including the extra "brackets" (H630SXA100) I was told I'd need for non base models.

Well.. AFTER I purchased the unit I found out the subwoofer isnt for Tribeca's with navigation (navigation unit takes up the space the subwoofer would go in). I took a peek under the passenger seat and it appeared it would work fine, even though subaru says it's made for the drivers side seat.

MANUAL (but keep in mind this displays the setups backwards). I was able to skip steps #25,26,27,28,29

I had to reverse the standard subwoofer brakets (left to right, and right to left) to make sure it's distance from the console was the same as if it were on the drivers side. Note, these are NOT the special brackets "installation kit brakets" #H630SXA100, but the ones that come with the sub. The final thing that I had to adjust is a bracket below the passenger seat that provides the "floorboard lighting" for the backseat when the interior lights are on. I just pushed and bent it up 1/2" so it wouldn't rub the sub :D. Worked great.

Everything else I did according to the manual and it was cake. Took about 35 minuets to install. It sound's alot better then just the stock speakers, and for $65 I'd do it again in a heartbeat. However I'm not sure I could justify $225, perhaps I'd spend $150 but not much more then that (my personal preference). So for $150 or less I give it a :tup:.

If anyone needs or wants the H630SXA100 brackets let me know... I dont need them. They are basically just two rails. If you look under your seat and see rails on each side you don't need them.

For reference: This was on a 2007 7-pass limited w/nav & entertainment.
I've also attached some pictures for visual reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Wait doesn't your 7pass LTD have the included sub in the hatch? I've always thought you couldn't do that; have a sub in the hatch and under the seat.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Magic Marker said:
Wait doesn't your 7pass LTD have the included sub in the hatch? I've always thought you couldn't do that; have a sub in the hatch and under the seat.
Yes, I have a sub in the hatch, and you can still put the sub under the front seat as well.. UNLESS you have a navigation unit (what Subaru says). However, as I've posted the sub will fit under the passenger seat. So now those of us with nav systems are nolonger excluded from the add on sub option.

Works like a champ... plug & play.

·
Registered
552 Posts
So from looking at the instructions, the kit comes with the wiring harness that you have to connect to the back of the headunit and route down to under the seat?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
snork said:
So from looking at the instructions, the kit comes with the wiring harness that you have to connect to the back of the headunit and route down to under the seat?
Yeah, you got it. The wiring harness allows for the plug-n-play. No wire cuttuers or splicing needed.

--------------------------------------
Stereo
New Wiring Harness
Original Stereo Harness

-------------------------------------

Code:
[COLOR=DarkRed]
Stereo---[B][.][/B] [/COLOR][COLOR=Blue][B]<[/B]-----NWH------[B]----[/B]----[B][.][/B]  [COLOR=DarkGreen][B]<[/B]----OSH--------[/COLOR][/COLOR]
                     [B][COLOR=Blue]|
[/COLOR][/B]                     [B][COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR][/B]
                     [B][COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR][/B]
                     [B][COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR][/B]
                     [B][COLOR=Blue]\/[/COLOR][/B]
           [[B]New Subwoofer[/B]]
and the routing was easy.. like I said the whole thing took about 35 minuets.

·
Registered
80 Posts
MANUAL (but keep in mind this displays the setups backwards). I was able to skip steps #25,26,27,28,29

I'm going to keep my eye open for a sub on the cheap. Thanks..

Great help. I've taken apart the radio and centre console already for other stuff, but I got a few questions if you don't mind clarifying:

Questions:

From the Subaru manual:
1) Item 16, why do they mention don't unplug antenna wire at base of center console. Are they referring to the the connection on lower kickplate on driver side? If you don't disconnect this, you cannot remove radio

2) What is 19, 20 for? Isn't that the fm radio antenna? If so, doesn't the end have a square connector?

3) How did you route the harness to passenger seat if you didn't have to do #25,#26,#27,#28,#29

I've attached pictures of my passenger side, can this take the subwoofer? Just want to be sure. Thanks in advance.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mwoo68 said:
From the Subaru manual:
1) Item 16, why do they mention don't unplug antenna wire at base of center console. Are they referring to the the connection on lower kickplate on driver side? If you don't disconnect this, you cannot remove radio

2) What is 19, 20 for? Isn't that the fm radio antenna? If so, doesn't the end have a square connector?

3) How did you route the harness to passenger seat if you didn't have to do #25,#26,#27,#28,#29
#16, The wire they're referring too is the wire you have also left connected in your IMG_2130 photo. Your good on that.

#19 - If I remember correctly 19 is just referring to which screw to remove to place the NEW ground wire on the subwoofer harness. #20 is the new ground wire(attached to the new sub wiring harness) being screwed to the radio chassis.

As far as skipping the steps, I was able to feed it under the carpet be the vent location under the seat, and the reach to grab it from the stereo area.

That Orange looking light in IMG_2144 & IMG_2147 is the rear floorboard light I talked about. You'll have to bend that up 1/2" to allow adaqute clearence withough the seat rubbing the subwoofer as it's adjusted by passengers.

One item I didnt see in your photos is the mounting bars. My Tribeca had them on both sides. If you do not have those bar's you'll need the mounting kit, which includes those two bars (and only those bars).

You can see mounting bars in this photo:

If you have them, your good... if not, you need the mounting kit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
#20 is the new ground wire(attached to the new sub wiring harness)
OK. Now I get it, wire comes from the new sub harness

I was able to feed it under the carpet be the vent location under the seat, and the reach to grab it from the stereo area.
I'll give that a shot when I get there

One item I didnt see in your photos is the mounting bars.
What kit is that? Do you the part number?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mwoo68 said:
One item I didnt see in your photos is the mounting bars.
What kit is that? Do you the part number?

See my first post:

awd_envy said:
I got one new off someone on ebay for $65 including the extra "brackets" (H630SXA100) I was told I'd need for non base models.
awd_envy said:
If anyone needs or wants the H630SXA100 brackets let me know... I dont need them. They are basically just two rails. If you look under your seat and see rails on each side you don't need them.

good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you for the detail. I bought the additional sub online not knowing it was not designed for the 07 ltd with nav. I asked the dealer to install it but they said they could not. I gave it a go myself after reading this thread. I was able to install it under the passenger seat by reversing the brackets from the instructions as indicated. I didn't have to bend anything to get it to fit properly under the passenger side power seat. Sounds fairly good after adjusting the gain and frequency using the 2 nobs. I picked up the sub for $130 new. It took me about 2 hours going slow and careful. I also was able to skip the removal of the center counsel except for around the shifter. Here is the link where I bought this. Thanks again! http://www.patrickaccessories.com/Subaru/H630SXA000/Subwoofer%7CAmplifier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts