Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to time constraints I brought my 2006 Tribeca to Capitalland Subaru in Glenville NY. It has an oil leak on the passenger side valve cover. I told the service advisor that I wanted the valve cover gaskets and plugs done. She quoted me a price of $816 yesterday. Today I got a call saying it will cost $1400 dollars for the following reasons (1) the car has a major oil leak from passenger side vc gasket, (2) the car is older and has rusty bolts. I asked her what the difference was in price due to the amount of oil, a leak is a leak. The same procedure has to be done. Also told her that I had the vehicle up.in the air and did not see rusty bolts. The reason it is there is because of the difficulty getting to the back bolts, something I thought the subaru tech would be better equipped to do.....very frustrating. Does this.price seem reasonable to anyone? Or am I being taken for a ride?

·
Administrator
692 Posts
Welcome to the down side of flat engines.

If you are capable of getting the vehicle up already, why not do the work yourself?

I am sure it won't be too fun. I haven't done it but I can't imagine it would be impossible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did mine last month, and it wasn't too bad. My technique is to unbolt the motor mounts (17mm I think), unbolt the pitch stop mount (14mm I think) and jack the engine up off of the crossmember a couple inches. That gives a lot more room to work with to unbolt the valve cover.

You'll want to replace the valve cover gaskets, all 6 plug socket gaskets, and you might as well do the spark plugs while everything is apart if you are near the service interval for the plugs. You'll also need some Subaru three-bond gasket material for the curved part of the valve cover.

Valve cover bolts shouldn't be tight at all, they should only be turned to 4.7 ft-lb, so I wouldn't expect rusty bolts to give you a hard time...

·
Administrator
692 Posts
Fortunately the bolts are $1.44 each, also not an expensive fix.
Thanks for the pointers just in case I ever have the fun of doing this.

Reactions: jeyping

·
Registered
1 Posts
Due to time constraints I brought my 2006 Tribeca to Capitalland Subaru in Glenville NY. It has an oil leak on the passenger side valve cover. I told the service advisor that I wanted the valve cover gaskets and plugs done. She quoted me a price of $816 yesterday. Today I got a call saying it will cost $1400 dollars for the following reasons (1) the car has a major oil leak from passenger side vc gasket, (2) the car is older and has rusty bolts. I asked her what the difference was in price due to the amount of oil, a leak is a leak. The same procedure has to be done. Also told her that I had the vehicle up.in the air and did not see rusty bolts. The reason it is there is because of the difficulty getting to the back bolts, something I thought the subaru tech would be better equipped to do.....very frustrating. Does this.price seem reasonable to anyone? Or am I being taken for a ride?
Hi. I just replaced both valve cover gaskets in a '06 3.0L. it was a pain in the ass, but I managed without pulling the engine and I'm not a mechanic. The back two bottom bolts are very hard to reach. I had to buy a 10mm ratcheting wrench. Very little space to work with in the engine bay. I think the gaskets cost between $40-$80. I'd say that $1400 is ridiculous. I saw somewhere that Subaru quotes 4 hours to do this.

·
Administrator
692 Posts
I hope that regular oil changes with good quality oil help avoid the hardening of the gaskets. The second I see one seep I am going to hit the high mileage oil.

·
Administrator
692 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts