Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a couple of used 2007's and wonder what members might think of these deals?

2007 limited 5 passenger
listed at a dealer for $19,900
I really like the color of this one but it has 53K miles.
They are willing to certify it but have indicated to do so that can not move on the price.

2007 limited 5 passenger
private seller asking $20,500, indicating he will take $19,500
36K miles
I don't like the color of this one (white)

Thoughts or opinions?

·
449 Posts
I guess there are pros and cons with each. The Dealer's Tribeca will have some sort of limited guarantee I'm sure. It's going to need new tires if it doesn't have them already though.

The private party's is going to have to be checked out but that is pretty low miles. I'm not a fan of white myself.

Tough choice, is there anything indicating one was taken better care of over the other? All things being equal I might be inclined to go for the lower mileage one myself. For me that's about a year almost two of miles I'd put on a car difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. The dealer has dropped his price to $19.3 with factory certification (-$600 without). He also indicates that the tires are in good shape so I am assuming they are the 2nd set.

Neither vehicle is within close proximity to me so I have not seen or driven them yet.

The 53 K miles still scares me somehwhat.

·
449 Posts
Regarding the tires, ask him what brand they are. If they are the OEM Goodyear tires they may still look OK (mine with 58+K miles looked fine) but they tend to harden with miles and age. They will have poor traction and need to be replaced. Just trying to give you a heads up as I've just been through a tire replacement and others have noted the same thing with them looking OK.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peaty said:
Regarding the tires, ask him what brand they are. If they are the OEM Goodyear tires they may still look OK (mine with 58+K miles looked fine) but they tend to harden with miles and age. They will have poor traction and need to be replaced. Just trying to give you a heads up as I've just been through a tire replacement and others have noted the same thing with them looking OK.
Thanks again for your advice. This was the response from the dealer on the tires. "The tires are fairly new, we didn't put them on, but they still have the little cleates on thes sides of them and lots of tread. The're not cheap tires either, their are nice Goodyear all season 18" tires. We didn't need to do any brake work to it, the brakes were at 85% all the way around."

·
449 Posts
Humm, I'd you should inspect them up close if you go with that car. At that mileage I suspect they are OEM. Look for little micro-cracks between the sipes in the tread

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Like Peaty said, you need to physically look at the car. Based on the response by the dealer, he doesn't sound like he's even looked at the car. He's probably just asked the service department what they thought. BTW 53k is a bit high. We have an 07 and not quite at 36k yet.

·
449 Posts
FWIW I'm on the third season of my winter tires with my forester and the little nubbies are still there too :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
mileage is just a number when it comes to subaru, i would make sure that the car wasnt beat on or anything like that and base that as the deciding factor but with 36,000 miles the white one seems cheaper. do they both have similair options? cuz navi, dvd, leather adds value

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tribeca_06 said:
mileage is just a number when it comes to subaru, i would make sure that the car wasnt beat on or anything like that and base that as the deciding factor but with 36,000 miles the white one seems cheaper. do they both have similair options? cuz navi, dvd, leather adds value
Both vehicles are the same except for the interior and exterior colors. I have been able to negotiate the vehicle available from the dealer to $18,980 which would include the balance of the factory warranty (certified).

Would any of you be concerned that this vehicle has a trailer hitch mounted to it?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Probably not. I have the towing package on mine (includes transmission cooler) and I've only towed a small utility trailer a couple times (when moving a pool table).

·
Registered
630 Posts
oh ok, $18,000 is a good price, and the hitch is really a plus..the car cant really tow that much anyway, i have it and tow a pop-up but i would make sure to ask the dealer if it has the transmission cooler with it though otherwise it should be fine and really is a plus and it was about a $500 value too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.