Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the following recall announcement email from SOA, I think they just blanket sent it to their mailing lists since I have an 07 B9...

Dear Subaru Owner: This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2008 and 2009 model year Subaru Tribeca vehicles.

DESCRIPTION OF THE SAFETY DEFECT
Subaru has determined that your vehicle could have been manufactured with an improperly installed Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) G-Sensor. This sensor is designed to be mounted in a forward facing direction but may have been installed backwards during production.

DESCRIPTION OF THE SAFETY HAZARD
The VDC G-Sensor is a component of your vehicle’s electronic stability / traction control system and is located in the passenger compartment beneath the center console. If the sensor was improperly installed, vehicle handling characteristics during hard braking, sudden turns or other quick maneuvers could cause the vehicle to react in an unexpected manner or result in unstable handling. Under extreme conditions, the driver could lose control of the vehicle and a crash could occur. The driver would have no prior warning that this condition exists.

REPAIRS
To correct this condition, Subaru will inspect the position of the VDC G-sensor. If the sensor is found to be installed correctly, no further action is needed. If the sensor is found to be installed incorrectly (backwards), the sensor will be removed and reinstalled in the correct position. The VDC system will also be reprogrammed to ensure proper operation.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO PROMPTLY
You should immediately contact your Subaru Dealer for an appointment to have the VDC G-sensor inspected and any related repairs performed at no cost to you. In the meantime, until the VDC G-sensor has been inspected and, if necessary repositioned, we recommend that you “turn off” your vehicle’s Traction Control System. Disabling the system will eliminate the possibility of a malfunction associated with an incorrectly installed VDC G-sensor. However, please be aware that it will also completely disable your vehicle’s electronic stability / traction control system. The system can be “turned off” by depressing the Traction Control System switch located at the left lower instrument panel. When the system is turned off, the Vehicle Dynamics Control monitor light will illuminate on the instrument cluster indicating the system is deactivated. It will be necessary to follow this procedure each time the vehicle’s engine is started.

Please see the following sections in chapter 7 of your Tribeca Owner’s Manual for additional information: 1) “Vehicle Dynamics Control system monitor”, and (2) “Traction Control system OFF switch”. If you choose not to turn off the VDC system, please remain alert for the conditions and safety hazards described in this letter and take appropriate precautions when operating your vehicle.

HOW LONG WILL THE REPAIR TAKE?
The actual time to inspect the VDC sensor is approximately 10 minutes. It will take an additional 20 minutes if the sensor requires repositioning and reprogramming. However, it may be necessary to leave your vehicle the full day of your scheduled appointment to allow your dealer flexibility in scheduling. Please present this letter to your Subaru Dealer at the time this repair procedure is performed.

IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE: To locate the nearest Subaru Dealer you can access our website at
www.subaru.com and select “Find a Dealer”. Or, you may call us at 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783) during normal business hours for assistance. Please call us immediately if the dealer fails or is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge or write to the address listed on the first page of this letter.

You may also contact the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. SE, West Building, Washington, DC 20590 or call the toll free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888- 327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to
http://www.safercar.gov if you believe the dealer has failed or is unable to remedy your vehicle without charge within a reasonable amount of time. Your continued satisfaction with your Subaru is important to us.

Please understand that we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and your vehicle’s proper operation. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this matter may cause and urge you to schedule an appointment as soon as possible to have this repair performed.

Sincerely, Subaru of America, Inc.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hah...no I got this email today...

Dear Subaru Owner:

The notice that was sent to you earlier this week regarding a safety recall for the Tribeca does not affect your vehicle. It was intended for 2008 and 2009 Tribeca owners with specific Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) and our records show that your VIN was not affected.

We apologize for the error and confusion. Please feel free to contact us with any questions. Our customer service number is 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783). You are welcome to call and confirm if your vehicle is affected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Recall

I got the same email and letter. When I called the dealership, they told me that I should drive with the traction control off. I said to the guy so you mean to tell me that with the snow and ice in the NE, you want me to drive with the traction control off, are you serious. He said yes, and you shoud bring it in immediately.

I spoke to 3 other stealerships and they also said to bring it in, but it will take between 15 minutes to a few hours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a sensor which applies brakes to either side of the car which can be installed backwards on 08,09 models. Basically what happens is when you start to slide it will apply brakes to the wrong side of the vehicle causing you to go into a spin. That is why they recommend you turn traction control off. All they will do is remove the center console and check to see if the sensor is installed correctly. I herd that the SIA plant where they were made had hired a lot of temporary workers due to expanding to build the Toyota Camry so they had a lot of fill in workers building on the Subaru line. Which usually leads to quality issues if not caught before they leave the factory. You could find a nice ice or snow covered parking lot and test it out and see if it corrects your attempted spins which would also tell you if its working correctly. Hope this clears up the confusion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts