Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thread title says it all. Wife was merging on the highway this morning, said the Check Engine light came on along with the Cruise Control light (CC light started blinking) right after she accelerated to get up to highway speed.

Plugged in my Actron code reader as soon as she got home:

P0026 - Intake Valve - Bank 1 Control Solenoid CKT Range/Perf

A quick Google doesn't bring up much except one person recommending taking it to an authorized Subaru dealership (needed a nuclear physicist to come up with that one did we?) and someone else saying that I can remove the solenoid with a 10mm wrench and use brake cleaner to clean it off ... apparently there may be some oil gunk/residue on it.

Anyone else tripped this code or know anyone who has? And anyone know where this solenoid is so I can see what's behind door number 2?

--Billy
2007 B9T Limited
1996 Forester S

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm getting the p0026 code and at the same time the traction control disabled light comes on and the cruise control light flashes. The CC is because of the TC problem. I have a Scangauge and only get the p0026 code. I've reset it a few times since an oil change to Mobil 1 5-30. Perhaps that will clean things up or I may try the cleaning trick. Update: I took the passenger side solenoid out and it looks fine, nice and clean. Put it back in and took a 35 mile ride. No code yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
milo066 said:
I'm getting the p0026 code and at the same time the traction control disabled light comes on and the cruise control light flashes. The CC is because of the TC problem. I have a Scangauge and only get the p0026 code. I've reset it a few times since an oil change to Mobil 1 5-30. Perhaps that will clean things up or I may try the cleaning trick. Update: I took the passenger side solenoid out and it looks fine, nice and clean. Put it back in and took a 35 mile ride. No code yet.
Since no one replied until now I hadn't updated this thread. An oil change did it for me too. Guess my 10K mile change intervals on full synthetic were a bit optimistic. I've revised it down to 7500 miles on full synthetic and we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm still getting the P0026 code and TC light after a few hundred miles. I swapped the L and R valve solenoids to see if I now get a code for the other side (P0028 I think). That would indicate a bad solenoid. No code yet after ~100 miles. Boy they do get hot however!

·
Registered
1 Posts
milo066 said:
I'm still getting the P0026 code and TC light after a few hundred miles. I swapped the L and R valve solenoids to see if I now get a code for the other side (P0028 I think). That would indicate a bad solenoid. No code yet after ~100 miles. Boy they do get hot however!
For clarification, by swapped do you mean you removed the solenoids from the housing and switched them. I ask because the housings are not entirely the same and the one on the driver's side is tricky to access since two bolts are behind the timing belt cover. How do the solenoids come off? Also, on the passenger side, do you have oil residue coming from the sensor on the top? Did you do anything to stop it and how did you tighten/remove it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I swapped the L and R oil control solenoids at the Front of the engine (remove 10mm bolt and wiggle them out. O-ring seal). The code still came back P0026 so I know (hopefully) it isn't one of those. Thinking about it I wondered what would trip the code. Certainly not these units. Looking in the e-manuals (a real PITA to find anything) I found that there are similar 2-wire solenoids at the rear of the engine and also a kind of Oil Pressure device, 1-wire. I think the OPD probably generates the code. I removed the wires to both on the passenger side and felt around, and put the wire connectors back on. Thinking I may need to replace this unit which appears to be a screw-in. Next I took the car to have the Air Conditioner relay (blue one in compartment behind the battery) replaced as that had failed and I had no AC (the compressor clutch would not pull in). Now I have AC fine and have not generated a code since fiddling around. I'm not complaining but I don't really know what solved the problem (hopefully). Perhaps the oil change after 600 miles? Re-seating the connectors? Fingers crossed! I don't know why the traction control disabled was coming on at the same time, but that seems fine now too. It's been over a week and ~200 miles A-OK.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, here's the final verdict, for now at least. I've spend several months with sometimes getting a P0026 code and sometimes not. I had swapped the front solenoids L and R and the code remained the same. Having discovered another 2 solenoids on the back of the engine and 2 oil pressure switches nearby there also I deduced that it is the oil pressure switch that causes the code. A friend is a mechanic that works on Subarus and he had a customer come in after we were having this discussion and the Outback had a P0026 code also. He replaced the solenoid and the code came back. He replaced the oil pressure switch and the code went away. So finally I replaced my OPS on the passenger side only. I bought a new solenoid but never installed it. The code hasn't come back in ~200 miles now. I'll post back in a month or so or sooner if the code comes back. It is an EASY replacement. Using a 15/16" combination wrench to take it out and tighten the new one. I removed the connector to the rear solenoid and then the OPS on the passenger rear of the engine. Both connectors go into the same harness, so unplugging both allows them to move away.. Forget about buying a new solenoid, get the oil pressure switch first. ~$20 or less. The solenoid is around $130.
BTW, the traction control light that comes on with the cruise and check engine lights when the P0026 code happens doesn't come on now either. I don't know why it is tied to this situation. ??

Feb 2012: the oil pressure switch replacement did the trick, the code has not come back. The traction control is tied into any engine code trip, says a dealer service manager. All is well in this arena anyway...

Dec 2018. I've never gotten another code, the oil pressure switch was the fix!

·
Registered
62 Posts
wmichladiesman said:
For clarification, by swapped do you mean you removed the solenoids from the housing and switched them. I ask because the housings are not entirely the same and the one on the driver's side is tricky to access since two bolts are behind the timing belt cover. How do the solenoids come off? Also, on the passenger side, do you have oil residue coming from the sensor on the top? Did you do anything to stop it and how did you tighten/remove it?
The solenoids are removed by taking out a single 10mm headed bolt for each of the 3 I worked on. The seal is an o-ring on the solenoid body which slides into the housing. Very easy on the 6 cylinder engine both fronts and passanger side rear. I don't know about the driver side rear, didn't touch that one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
part number

milo066 said:
The solenoids are removed by taking out a single 10mm headed bolt for each of the 3 I worked on. The seal is an o-ring on the solenoid body which slides into the housing. Very easy on the 6 cylinder engine both fronts and passanger side rear. I don't know about the driver side rear, didn't touch that one.
Can you tell me how you found the part or part number to replace this? I am sure I have the same issue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
gotwww said:
Can you tell me how you found the part or part number to replace this? I am sure I have the same issue.
Oil pressure switch part number or solenoid? The dealer should be able to help with those.

·
Registered
11 Posts
milo066 said:
Oil pressure switch part number or solenoid? The dealer should be able to help with those.
Both.

We don't have a dealer very close and I was hoping to find either an aftermarket source or someplace on-line to order from but I can't seem to locate a part number to search for.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Parts

gotwww said:
Both.

We don't have a dealer very close and I was hoping to find either an aftermarket source or someplace on-line to order from but I can't seem to locate a part number to search for.
With all your Subarus?
Google is your friend then...
Try subaruparts.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
milo066 said:
With all your Subarus?
Google is your friend then...
Try subaruparts.com
Believe me, I do Google for a living and I can not find these part numbers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
---

gotwww said:
Believe me, I do Google for a living and I can not find these part numbers.
If at first you don't succeed.....
I'm sure you can do it!
Post the part numbers here when you get them!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am looking at a diagram here

The dealer is telling me

Intake Valve Control Solenoid is listed as "Control Valve"
10921AA040 (front and back left)
10921AA070 (back right)

It's the Valve Timing Oil Pressure Switch (AKA Variable Valve Lift Diagnosis Oil Pressure Switch) that I can't yet find (and the dealer can't so far either)

·
Registered
1 Posts
If this helps.

I am having the same problems. I believe the oil pressure switch is the major cause to the errors P0026 and P0028 (on the passenger and drivers side respectively). Try cleaning it after unplugging, if that doesn't work a replacement can be found online.

Autozone has the part. Here's the link for a 2008 Subaru Legacy: http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobi...l-Pressure-Switch/_/N-jrq2hZ93xnq?switch=true

·
Registered
11 Posts
my situation ended up being caused by an oil filter that was recently put on by a quick oil change place. They used a sub-standard filter that was apparently restricting flow.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi all- I have a 2006 Tribeca and am suddenly plagued with the same issue, so I replaced the oil switch (Subaru p/n 25240KA040). The problem is still there - did I replace the wrong item? Or maybe as you said gotwww, it is a crappy oil filter?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That part number is the solenoid, from previous post...
What did it cost?
The oil pressure switch was $20-$30 if I remember, the solenoid over $100
The oil pressure switch screws into a threaded hole in the cylinder head in the rear of the head (pass. side in my case), the solenoid is pushed in with an o-ring seal and held in by a small bolt into the head...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.