Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if you guys have figured out but I found an easy way to hack this :

Remove the center vent ( quite easy by popping the uper part first) and then remove total 6 screws to take out the monitor.

Unplug the harness which is connecting from rear DVD sytem to front monitor. Find the lightest color wire in the second row ( it should the 4th wire) as you see in the photo. No need to cut it though, just use a small gauge wire then plug in to the hole of that the 4th wire. Plug the hardness back.

Loose any screw of the monitor and then ground the other end of the small gauge wire to this screw and tighten it back.

Now turn on the DVD, e-brake off, press audio button twice and then you can see DVD will play on the NAV monitor !

This trick and photo is from Legacy forum and I just put it here and found it no need to cut the wire though... so it can be undo any time. I've done it on my car in less then 5 minutes.

Also you will notice there is an extra video line in at the back of the monitor as well, so while doing this, you can use an RCA cable to plug in that video in and put it out somewhere, may be in the glove box for future use (like me for using the media center).

And the above trick also apply for this Video in as well.

Enjoy...

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
kmartin actually brought this to the attention of the forum over in this thread: http://www.sb9t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436

However, your insight that you can just push in a small guage wire is a bonus b/c then the mod is reversible w/o looking hacked up:) Karen doesn't have the rear seat DVD though, she was using the video line in at the back of the monitor for her video iPod, so its good that someone has finally confirmed the RSE DVD works as well:tup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
snork said:
However, your insight that you can just push in a small guage wire is a bonus b/c then the mod is reversible w/o looking hacked up:) Karen doesn't have the rear seat DVD though, she was using the video line in at the back of the monitor for her video iPod, so its good that someone has finally confirmed the RSE DVD works as well:tup:
Didn't realise it's there since I got factory backup camera so... never bother to read that thread :lol:.

But there is an downside : not sure because of the uncut ground wire now the parking brake light stays on permanently though. I'll have a check this afternoon to confirm.

NOTE: The trick for using SAT NAV while moving is quite as simple as this one. Just ground the wire from the SATNAV unit under passenger seat to any screw and it would work.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yeah, this would ground the whole parking brake light circuit. That's kinda annoying. By cutting it as the others have done, you leave the rest of the circuit to function as normal.

I have subie extended gold warranty...so I haven't done anything "permanent" to ours yet cuz I don't want to screw the warranty:eek:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
snork said:
Yeah, this would ground the whole parking brake light circuit. That's kinda annoying. By cutting it as the others have done, you leave the rest of the circuit to function as normal.

I have subie extended gold warranty...so I haven't done anything "permanent" to ours yet cuz I don't want to screw the warranty:eek:
Yeb, this to confirm that if you want a undo job then you have to live with parking brake light on permanently. Otherwise just cut the wire and everything's just fine.

Just a warning that when you remove the vent and screws to take the monitor out, take extra care with those screws cos just a second of carelessness, those screws may slip off your hand and drop somewhere inside... well you just have a bad day then :lol:

Next thing I'll try is to burn the NAV dvd and try to get rid of the EULA message. As I read somewhere on forum that the message is in a file and it can be done by hacking into the binary.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If I drive around with my foot brake on 1 click to see the nav screen, can it do any damage? It doesn't feel any different when you drive, would the brake even be touching with 1 click?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hum said:
If I drive around with my foot brake on 1 click to see the nav screen, can it do any damage? It doesn't feel any different when you drive, would the brake even be touching with 1 click?
1 click probably wouldn't do much, you could loosen the brake cable to be sure. I wouldn't recommend driving a long distance like this cuz you can't be sure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hum said:
Why would you try to do the unsafe way, and annoying cos you would see the brake light on whille you can do the trick in less then 2 minutes? :p

Just remove the cover on the unit, unplug the harness, then there is an emply pin at the bottom row. Wire than pin with any screw on the unit. Re-plug the harness and that's it.
It can be undo anytime.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The long and the short of it: go back to post the first post...remove the navi screen, find the "parking brake wire", cut it and ground it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Cut the wire just like in the picture, then ground the piece hanging out of the plug connector to any screw that is set in metal...I believe there are some screws around the navi screen. You will probably need to splice on an extra length of wire since when you cut it since there will only be a few inches left over.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can't seem to get the center vent cover off. Is there some trick? I got the upper corners to pop out, but when I got the lower part of the vent corner to come up I started pulling on it and it gave me too much resistance. It felt like it was going to snap. :confused:

·
Registered
152 Posts
jamaitin said:
I can't seem to get the center vent cover off. Is there some trick? I got the upper corners to pop out, but when I got the lower part of the vent corner to come up I started pulling on it and it gave me too much resistance. It felt like it was going to snap. :confused:
Unfortunatly thats what it feels like... it's not easy to get of in my opinion. Just becareful. If memory serves, it was best to pry up the back first and lift forward. Check the manual to be sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did the Modification over the weekend and let me tell you it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Recommend this fix to anyone who has a passenger who wants to ride in the front seat instead of the back to watch DVD's. Now if I could only find an easier way to control the DVD for the front seat passenger. Ah well thanks for the great info on how to make this fix work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
if i do the nav-unit mod (ground the 2nd pin lower row from l) will it give me also video from rse while driving or do i 've to do both the mods ?thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok i did the dvd hack, i cut the wire and grounded it.To take the cover off, just use something like a credit card. starting from top left corner, than right top corner, than pulling a little you will take easily out all the cover.

I've connected also another rca cable into the rca video-in on the back of the monitor, but, how do i select that input ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
worth to try. does any one have a picture of aux rear connection? searched every hole - can't find it on my B9SE7'06

1 - 20 of 46 Posts