Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 3.0 Tribeca. It had the CEL on (not flashing), VDC & CC light flashing. Went and diagnose it, had misfires on 2 & 4. We assumed the spark plugs, as they weren't changed in a long time and the car also has LPG.

Cleared all the errors, 1 week drive, nothing showed up (both on gas and LPG). After 1 week, check engine was back on. Checked the codes again, this time was cylinder 1. The next day, CEL started flashing, and engine shaking at idle.

What have I done thus far:

- changed spark plugs
- checked coils
- checked injectors
- checked compression

At this point there is misfire only on cyl 1. The odd thing is that the flashing CEL, idle shaking and power loss happen from time to time. It can run 5 minutes shaking, then 20 minutes CEL stops flashing and it works like a charm, then CEL starts flashing again...and so on.

Any ideas where should go next? I'm thinking either ECU or some electrical issues somewhere.

Thank you for your answers and sorry for any mistakes, as English isn't my native language.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Try moving the coil on spark plugs around to see if it follows. Same for the injectors (more them around). No codes with the Variable Valve Timing? No other codes at all?

Assuming you have narrowed it down to spark, If it isn't the coil, and it isn't the wire to the coil from the ECU, then it is in the ECU itself.

Tom

·
Registered
837 Posts
Sounds like the issue ours had, drove fine for a while then would start missing. Shut it down and it started up fine. I checked everything along with allowing the dealer over a day of diagnostics, we came to the same conclusion it was a bad ECU.

I am assuming you have already had the battery tested as well and eliminated any issues with grounds on the engine block.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had same issue over and over again. Finally took it to non dealer repair shop. They discovered the dealer had broke the clip things on wiring harness during diagnostic. That's why it would come back on later.depending on how bumpy of driving till it came loose. I replaced wiring harness fixed it. Hasn't happened again in 2 years. Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We narrowed down to the top connector going into the ECU (see image). The only problem we have now is that we cannot unpin the cables from the connector. I will update with more info, hopefully it will help somebody else too.
I was hoping to find an used ECU on ebay, but the code it has is a bit wired and can find it only "new" for around 6-$700 - BV 22611AM01B, so that's a bummer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts