Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Tribeca 'Touring' with stock HID low beams. Right side went out at 50k miles. Had to replace bulb and then ballast. ~$500. Remember low beam HID's run at the day time running lights.
Before that the LED 3rd brake light above back window, had some burned out LED's. After reading so much about this problem, I have decided to do some more checking.
I find that the battery voltage at idle and down the road to be 14.25 VDC. This seems a little high and may be causing bulbs to burnout after such a short time. Battery when off is about 12.5 VDC. HID and LEDs should have a much longer life.
Anyone with other thoughts?

·
Registered
746 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HID stock to non-HID

I agree that alternator does have to be higher then battery and this may be alright. Do you have any thoughts on why lamp burn-out seems to be a problem, I and others are having? Service center thought my alternator was making howling noise, so I was seriously considering something here.

The ballast part numbers on the ebay site (5DV 009 000-00) are different than my original# 12V 00040547 . I am concerned that no place is there a cross reference that lists both. Have you ever seen a part number breakdown of what letter or number stands for? Even HELLA catalog does not list this?
I hope this is a Hella improved version, but they should say so if it indeed is better.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Howling alternator is probably actually a failing idler or tensioner pulley bearing. Replace those bearings. Common failure and it will leave you by the side of the road if it happens since you battery won't charge.

Some issue on the 3.0L, with similar solution here's a thread: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/206889-3-0-engine-tensioner-idler-bearing-replacement.html

No idea why HIDs and LEDs are blowing early. Probably poor overvoltage protection built in to the system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ballast

The number 00040547 seems to be for Korean-manufactured units. The plug looks identical to Hella.
Here's a listing that shows cross-reference:

Thank you. So I checked Hella 2011 catalog and a searched again for 00040547, turns up none. 5DV 009 000-00- show none, but taking out dashes to: 00900000 shows several. I wonder why no cross reference showing Hella compatibility to 00040547?

I would check with my local Subaru dealer but they have none on stock and order only if I want one... at their $354 / each!
Any one order a Subaru part lately and can tell us what Hella P/N is on it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Great pics. I have 3.6L so will compare those pics to mine. When service center said it was alternator, I was suspicious when they did nothing about it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Extreme cold -10 deg F here now and fear HID ballast will go again. So no night driving until I find a compatible, lower cost replacement. Still investigating converting Low beams from oem stock HID to halogen, but if overvoltage is blowing bulbs (already had 3rd brake light replaced with several blown LEDs) then will still blow halogens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts