Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ugh!!!

:( I'm not sure but the Subaru dealership just gave me my car back and said they can't reproduce the sound that my brakes are fine. Ok but that doesn't solve the problem with the sound it makes. I think they should have checked my transmission it sounds weird. Any suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
630 Posts
yeah the 08s are differnt they have diff bushings and they dont know what the sound is but i wish you much luck...as for my B9..it seems they cant figure mine out either..well not that they tried..i assumed it was the bushings so i guess back to the dealer..joy. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hahaha well they used the excuse they couldn't duplicate it. Well my husband told me what the problem was. It is not the brakes however, it's when it downshifts from 50+mph and when it hits 15 mph it's a harsh downshift and i said bring the service manager to ride with me and he will feel it because I know what the problem is. So the service manager rode with me and he felt the harsh downshift. So after giving me back my tribeca last night, it's back in the shop and they CANNOT use the CANNOT DUPLICATE EXCUSE. hahaha i'll post after they call and tell me what's going on.

·
Registered
630 Posts
i belive my problem is the struts..not the bushings...well bushings were replaced but the front strut is making the noise..i didnt know that there was a differnece between strut and bushing..so back to the dealer =]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Man we should start a back to the dealership party. They have 2 more tries at this before our state's lemon law kicks in and i have to one get a refund of the total contract price or a new or comperable make and model :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
hahaha
nice, lucky you. i belive mine is just the struts now and i hope you get a new car ! haha :) or they fix yours ofcourse..i dont seem to have anything as major as your problem

·
Registered
70 Posts
new part #?

Someone mentioned that there was a new version of the bushings....is there a new part # as well?

As far as I know the original part # is 20414XA00A

Thanks

·
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well I was driving the wife's Tribeca the other day (rare occurrence for me) and I can hear some clunking over bumps. I have not looked but I'm pretty sure it's the swaybar bushings. I gave Ben* a call at Hodges Subaru and ordered the bushings today. They are cheap enough:

List price is $8.85ea, your price is $6.64ea P/N 20414XA01A

and as stated they have been re-designed to prevent the noise or at least last longer. I will do a scoobymods page when I do the install. It's still cold here so it may be a little while depending.

*Ben Sabelhaus (AKA HondaSlayer)
http://www.hodgessubaru.com/248-547-8800

·
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Just finished doing the bushings, it was pretty simple to do. I took some pics and will do a write up but I have to say it made a difference. The old bushings looked fine but the opening was worn to a larger diameter. Not to mention the bushings were hard as rocks. The replacements are softer and the opening is a lot smaller. Half hour to 45 min job tops.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sway bar bushing replacement

Had the sway bar bushings (all) and the front clunk went away...the car feels solid again. Highly recommend this fix.

·
Registered
96 Posts
fjcinss said:
Had the sway bar bushings (all) and the front clunk went away...the car feels solid again. Highly recommend this fix.
Yup, that's what they just did for our '08 at the 30,000 mile check.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Awesome write-up as usual Peaty! I just noticed mine started clunking a bit so I'm gonna order some bushings too. Looks like an easy enough DIY.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just changed 'em and all is good

I just changed both sway bar bushings on my '06 this past weekend, following Peaty's excellent writeup. The noise was very pronounced before the change, but now is gone.

A few additional thoughts:

• On the plastic cowling that Peaty recommends removing the two plastic retainers in the wheel well, I found it also beneficial to remove the single 12 mm bolt smack in the middle of the part. It gives a little more wiggle room and you will already have the 12 mm socket for the bushing clamps.

• As Peaty suggests, be sure to have the car as absolutely flat as possible. A level would be a good idea in this regard. Any tilt of the vehicle will result in one side of the sway bar being lower than the other. In my case, I had to manhandle the right side back into position because the right side of the car was slightly higher (maybe 2") due to a very gradual pitch in our driveway.

• I would suggest also marking the midpoint of the bushings on the clamp before removing the old bushings. Per Peaty's suggestion, you should be marking the front the clamp anyway, so you will already have the marker in hand. This is the small protrusion on the bushing that faces more or less downward when the bushing is installed. It will help align the new bushings in terms or orientation and getting the flat on the top of the bushing to align with the flat on the vehicle body.
Also when I had one clamp off it was very evident that the sway bar was loose in the other original bushing. I would guess that there was 1/16 to 1/8" play, and I could easily jostle the shaft around and make a quiet version of the dull thud that is heard while driving. This was further confirmed when the new bushing was installed on the other side, as it was nice and snug. And, of course, the noise is gone.

The part number for the replacement bushings is: 20414XA01A, which is the revised version of the original and obsolete P/N (20414XA00A). Cost is about $13 for two.

Total repair time for me: less than an hour

Thanks again for the great forum and articles!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks for the additional advice! I got mine this week and will be replacing them this Saturday.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Finally replaced my bushings this weekend. Thanks to all for the tips...especially the eye protection, definitely would have gotten some sand in the eyes otherwise:) The clunk is gone so it was worth it:tup:

I did have one bonehead moment though. When putting the clamp back on, I mistakenly picked up a bolt for the plastic cowling. I struggled trying to get it back in for like 25 minutes (same size but shorter) before I realized it was the wrong bolt:headwall: :censored: Got the second one done in about 10 minutes:eek: Otherwise, it would have definitely been less than 1 hr start to clean-up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I stopped by the dealer after work and picked up the two front bushings and replaced them when I got home. The clunk is gone and it feels like new again, I can't believe the difference!!! Very quick and easy fix!
2007 with 50K miles

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finally! An answer!

Thanks very much for the great posts everyone, especially Peaty.

My '06 Tribeca has developed a wicked narly creak (like jumping on old bed springs) that is now so bad it does it whether I drive over bumps or not. It even creaks now when we get in or out.

The dealer suggested new struts but, after finding this forum, I'm definitely leaning toward the bushings.

I've never done a repair like this before but I think I'll order the parts, enlist some help and give it a go.

Wish me luck and thanks for all the great advice!

41 - 60 of 78 Posts