Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
thurklunk

just also be advised I had the same issue... If by chance you encounter the noise when turning either direction towards full lock on the steering wheel, it also can be caused by the front mud guards tearing loose from and rubbing against the wheel... i had both instances...

on a side note... i've also had my dogbone and firewall bracket welded 3 times reference a squeaky crunching noise... it has been 3 months since my last welding and it has to go back again... so not happy right now... at 58,000 miles and yea...:tdown:

·
Registered
26 Posts
and it starts again

... as the cold weather is back the noise came along. Will have it checked again. I'll keep a look regarding the mud guards. With the winter tires, I guess it increases the chances.
M

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hate to sound ignorant, but what is the dogbone? Turns out my bushings are allegedly fine. I haven't found out if they've checked the endlinks or not.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Clunking

I too had this issue and VanBortel Subaru replaced the bushings for free even though I was just slightly beyond 36months. Noise is gone now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After them saying I was wrong about the front bushings, didn't know what it was, looked at it again, got a second opinion and it WAS the front sway bushings. They said it was also the rear lower control arm bushings, so I took it to another place to get the fronts on and rear inspected. As I thought, fronts fixed the problem and nothing wrong with the rear. $16 parts, $50 labor, lots of headache over places not listening to the customer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good news

The good news is that the replacement part was redesigned and should not have this issue down the road.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just got back from the dealership they replaced the front swaybar mounts due to the front end sounding like it was about to fall off and realigned the tailgate. All covered under warranty... WOW she is a whole lot quieter on bumpy roads now!!! (06 Limited 7pass with 42K)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Our is making the same front noise clunking again. Sway bar bushings were replaced about a year ago and it fixed the problem...new ones are doing it again. Car has 44,000 miles...do you think Subaru/dealer will fix it again since it was documented and fixed a year ago? I would be shocked that it would be fixable under powertrain warranty. Bumper to bumper warranty has expired.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would think they will its still under the 5/60 and I believe if its within a year it holds its own warranty even if you are out of the factory....I am not 100% on that but I think that what my dealership told me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
mstinger2003 said:
I would think they will its still under the 5/60 and I believe if its within a year it holds its own warranty even if you are out of the factory....I am not 100% on that but I think that what my dealership told me.
I wonder if it is covered in the extended warranty. I have the Gold 100,000. I'm currently at 66k

·
Registered
35 Posts
My dealer said it is covered under 3year 36,000 warranty but service manager is going to take care of it since it was in 12 months ago for the same thing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Should be covered under the Gold warrant. I am pretty sure I saw it in the list of items covered. But my dealership covered it under the 5/60 because I never was charged my deductible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for this thread.

I had this same problem since november, so I had gone to the dealer in town to get the clunking resolved, but didn't mention anything about the bushings...of course they said everything was ok with the supension and sent me home! After enduring a long winter with the annoying clunking noise :confused: I happened on this thread and lo and behold it sounds like my problem!
I just came back from the dealer and after I mentioned to please check the bushings I am happy to report that I am now clunk free! On top of it since it was the same problem reported months ago they did it for free even though I have 41k miles on the car! Thanks to all of you for the great information!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Whats the odds this is with an 08 as well

I am having a clunking noise from my front end. But when the dealer looks, they find nothing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
anyone with an 08 having this problem

thanks- I am trying to figure out if it is a problem from the factory- cars built between August and October

·
Registered
28 Posts
Peaty said:
This info I gleaned from another scooby site, the author (Ben) works at a subaru dealership. I thought it might be of interest:

Begin Quote:

Just as a FYI I have just come acrossed my 5th 06 Tribeca that has what seems to be a bad front strut. In reallity it is the front sway bar bushings that are the problem. The old ones are streached out quite badly compared to the new ones. Replacement p/n is 20414XA00A X 2.
End quote:
Had knocking sounds from front suspension going over small bumps in low speed in my 06. Had the front swaybar bushings replaced, now sound is gone. The old bushings were "hard" and had minor cracks in them, seemed to be worn out and of bad quality.

Thanks for great thread!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 08 tribeca and it's in the shop has been since friday due to a clunking sound when i break and the car lurches forward. THe car has 24K on it and is still under warranty. The car also didn't stop when i hit the brakes a week ago and had to hit it twice to get the car to stop. Thank goodness i was only pulling into my driveway. My family is a subie family and both my husband i have subies. His 09 wrx has been in the shop 2 times since he bought it. What is going on with subies??:confused:

21 - 40 of 78 Posts