Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This info I gleaned from another scooby site, the author (Ben) works at a subaru dealership. I thought it might be of interest:

Begin Quote:

Just as a FYI I have just come acrossed my 5th 06 Tribeca that has what seems to be a bad front strut. In reallity it is the front sway bar bushings that are the problem. The old ones are streached out quite badly compared to the new ones. Replacement p/n is 20414XA00A X 2.

Ben

End quote:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Is it a noise when the struts top out? Or when they extend very fast? When mine does it sounds like it is very hollow/loose (hard to describe) up front.

·
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't honestly say, I have not heard the sound myself. I'm just relaying what he posted on another site. The sound he said was like a bad strut so I suspect it was a knocking sort of noise. Looking at the bushings on the sway bar may let you know, he makes it sound like it may be obvious to the eye. I'll check with him.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This sounds very much like the problem I had on another car. If it is in fact the sway bar/busings/strut it is an alignment problem, and it will manifest itself as a "groaning" or "crunching" sound when you are turning one way or the other, typically under loading/unloading conditions (think bouncing through a tight corner).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sway Bar Bushings

Been driving the Tribeca a bit more lately and it seemed bouncier than I recalled when new. Has 8,000 miles and brought it to Long Subaru in Oxford, MA and they determined the front sway bar bushings did in fact need replacing. I didn't experience any noise, just a less-than-normal ride with a little extra bounce from time to time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sway bar bushings?

Well, It seems my Subaru has developed the front end noise problem. Over sharp bumps (like frost heaves), the front end sounds clunky. I assume this must mean I need new front sway bar bushings. Given that the closest dealer is now a couple of hours away should I just buy a couple of these at $7 each and install them rather than make a couple of trips to the dealer?

How hard would they be to install?

·
Registered
26 Posts
same issue here... when ever the front right wheel moves over a bump, or dip, or any imperfection it just rattles, and clunks... Assuming its the strut... Its sad too, only 42,000 so far...

·
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it is the front bushing it should be pretty obvious. If it isn't look at the area around the bushing and to see if there are any shiny spots where it looks like it was hitting metal to metal. Here is a scan on it:

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our 2006 Tribeca makes a clunk when the going full lock with the steering wheel. Is this this issue or something else? It does it pretty regularly...mostly right after starting up the car is when I notice it the most.

·
Registered
196 Posts
DomozitoLK said:
Our 2006 Tribeca makes a clunk when the going full lock with the steering wheel. Is this this issue or something else? It does it pretty regularly...mostly right after starting up the car is when I notice it the most.
Does it come from the right side? Mine does that, too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just had our 06 with 35K in to the dealer for this noise. It sounded like the right stut top was clunking/rattling over bumps. They replaced both the sway bay bushings and links under warranty. My shop inspected the whole front end for loose parts athteh last serivce and we found nothing loose. It appears to be a common problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Noise

We just replaced the Bushings (FW) for our 2008 Tribeca (7,500 mi) as there was a squeaking noise when driving over speed bumps. We replaced the same parts (twice) on our 2004 Impreza OS also for the same reasons.
It seems to be a weakness part of Subaru models maybe due to our winter conditions in Montreal, QC Canada.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Knock or Clunk

I have only 15,000 Miles and have been getting a knock for some time up front. I have been so busy in the books, i haven't checked it out. It only happens when riding over a particular bump.. like jagged or rough type of road. Smooth dipping bumps do not seem to aggravate the problem.
It almost seemed like the sound of a bad ball Joint or CV. Turning/leaning stability has not changed; although the sound does occur now with either wheel, when originally started with Right Wheel at about 9,000 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
greenwood143 said:
We just replaced the Bushings (FW) for our 2008 Tribeca (7,500 mi) as there was a squeaking noise when driving over speed bumps. We replaced the same parts (twice) on our 2004 Impreza OS also for the same reasons.
It seems to be a weakness part of Subaru models maybe due to our winter conditions in Montreal, QC Canada.
I had this done on my '08 Tribeca also Mid February... purchased it at Manchester Subaru and live in Toronto, ON.... I had about 7,200 mi at the time....interesting to read that it's a common occurance.... lately I've been hearing a similiar 'clunking' again... thinking i'll have to take it in again

·
Registered
24 Posts
Knocking in Front Suspension

DomozitoLK said:
~There is a wheel lockout bump stop posistioned on the control arm/hub area. So the driver does not over extend the steering radius and also allows Rack & Pinion / C/V not to seperate. This can occur at any time (wrm/cld).
This sound can become louder with the amount of force used to turn the steering wheel. Slow Rotation = some thud, including Feedback Felt
Faster Rotation increases the thud as well as the Feedback thru the wheel.
~Do not forget, when in Lock Posistion..try not to hold more than a few seconds as it puts strain on the pump (goes for any vehicle using a hydrolic/electric pump/unit).
~Learn the amount of rotations/or feeling before lock out occurs and try to use as much steering radius obtained before locking the wheel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Posted on other thread but should be informative...

FYI - I had the same issue with my front sway bar bushings - both sides. Mileage-29,500. It's covered under warranty - but it makes me wonder if they went bad this early, is it going to be an on-going problem???

I sure hope not.:confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
B9 Endlinks Clunk

Should also check endlinks, if these keeps reacurring. They work together. You can upgrade to most of the Solid type endlinks as they are much the same. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Took Tribeca to Subaru, Wakefield, MA. Noise over bumps from the right strut area and vibration at the highway speed while breaking. Under warranty they've replaced stabilizer links and sway bar bushings and cut rotors second time in 15K miles and balanced wheels. Common issue with B9!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Should this really be common...

Subaru so quick to change over their 06/07 wide faced B9 models, took no time at all. However to Diagnose and Solve a Simple Bushing/Endlink Problem.. will take how long..? Let us count the days......
Anyone know if the Hardened endlinks & Urethane Sway Bushings from another model fits..
~What is the size of the OEM Frnt SWy Bar off hand..? Or i'll measure this weekend. I would like to swap out to Urethane and hardened Links.

I think the Front Bar is 25mm? I am going to swap over my WRX adj. Endlinks and find some 25mm bushings online this week.. Any help on the bushing will help this move a bit faster and would be greatly smiled upon.
I really don't expect much improvment in overall handling.. but, it will keep me sane for the remainder of my B9 Tribeca ownership! ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great info guys. I just bought an 06 with this same problem. I took the front wheels off yesterday trying to see if anything was loose and didn't notice anything. I just got off the phone ordering my bushings. YEA!! I'll be happy to get rid of that clunking noise.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts