Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to one and all ! I am a new member and this is my first posting, I hope I got this right :rolleyes:
My wife and I currently have a 2002 Forester, bought new and soldiering on with only 175,000 kms or so. Still runs well after a cash injection for repairs every so often, but after 12 years the eye does wander over to other sexier new vehicles . . . One of them being a late model Tribeca perhaps. I've talked to my mechanic about what to expect with Tribeca's re maintenance and repair, but one thing I still wonder about is the driving range on a tank of gas? We get about 450 kms or 10 kms/litre with the Fozzie. What do you folks get here in Canada with Tribeca's?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
It's the one true downside of the car as far as I can tell. We get something like 280 miles to the tank, 250 kms and about 20 miles to the gallon (8.5 kms/liter). The tank size claims almost 17 gallons, but we have never had the guts to go over 300 miles before refilling.

Tom

·
Registered
738 Posts
The tank is small for an SUV. Only 16 gallons, same size (if not same tank) as on Legacy and Outback.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
From cars101.com:

Fuel tank capacity 16.9 US gallons. Tank is safely located under middle seat. Low fuel light comes on with app 3-3.5 US gallons remaining

Great site for all subaru specs.

So if you go full to light on, you get 268 miles @ 20 mpg. Might be as low as 240 miles.

We tend to fill up right around 250 miles per tank though...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Since daily driving habits, topography, gasoline quality, etc. can vary, YMMV... literally.

But I have an 04 Forester and a 07 Tribeca, so roughly the same boat as you as far as comparison. The MPG and range between both are materially different... my Forester has been, generally, about 15% better on both metrics.

On average, I would say I get 275-290 miles b/t fill-ups with the Tribeca, and about 310-320 on the Forester. MPG averages 22 on the Forester and about 19 on the Tribeca.

Having driven from Winnipeg to The Pas several times via MB-6/MB-60, I know exactly how important range/reliability can be in the Great White North. FWIW, I'd be comfortable making that drive straight through in either of my Subbys.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I average around 12l/100km (20mpg US) in mainly highway driving on hilly roads. I fill up when my low gas light comes on, which takes 50l (13 gallons). Which makes about 420km (260 miles).

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
What's crazy to me is that the 2010 Legacy then got an 18 gallon tank. When you're getting 33ish MPG (I've seen as high as 35 hwy) that's almost twice the range.

I mean, I'm guessing Subaru kinda engineered the gas tank last and ran out of room for it, but 20 gallons would have been nice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your feedback . . . it looks like around 400 kms between fill ups on average. Not a whole lot less than we get now with the Forester.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Hmmm...I'm not sure how to square the 'not a while lot less than the forester' comment. It sure felt a lot less than our 05 XT outback. I have a 2010 LGT, yes, huge tank, long driving range, very nice.

But honestly, the tank is not a reason to pass up the car, I just want to remind you that most folks complain about the range of a tank.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i cannot get my MPG AVG above 17.9 MPG on my 2006 3.0 Beca .i am using premium Fuel only. i do mostly city driving .still love the car :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would rather have a larger gas tank than those silly seats called the 3rd row.

·
Registered
547 Posts
larger tank would also add weight, so range may be extended but average MPG would most likely be lower. I think 255 wide tires are one big hit in MPG, going to switch to 235 and see if it gets a bit better. also lowering the car generally helps, so do flat skidplates that create smoother underbody.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I would rather have a larger gas tank than those silly seats called the 3rd row.
A larger gas tank would have been possible with the long wheelbase. The engineers sacrificed it for the must-have 3d row of seats, to compete with 3-seat offerings from other makes. The 3d seat design they produced was still behind the competition, which likely contributed to the Tribeca's demise.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
No spare on an SUV? I think people would revolt. The one thing I actually miss about the grand cherokee that my wife had before - full size spare. I think all cars should have that.

larger tank would also add weight, so range may be extended but average MPG would most likely be lower. I think 255 wide tires are one big hit in MPG, going to switch to 235 and see if it gets a bit better. also lowering the car generally helps, so do flat skidplates that create smoother underbody.
True, those wide tires aren't helping MPG. I was thinking 235s for our Winter tires, although the type of tire will probably negate that advantage. The '08 we have has some plastic panels underneath to smooth out the bottom. If my wife gets a different car (I've got her sold on the idea of a Crosstrek in a few years) and I slide into our Tribeca, I'd probably lower it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm fine with the capacity of the stock tank, it's just the mileage the thing gets. The weight really hurts it and the other day I was underneath it and noticed the upper control arm in the rear looked to be cast iron. I couldn't believe it. And then you look at the weight of the stock wheels and those 255 tires aren't light either. Those are bigger than the tires on my f-250 and e-350. They are older ones, but still..
I am going to do some aero mods involving blocking off the air going in the front through the fog light grills and the insides of the wings. There is plenty of air going through the center grill and the bottom. I doubt it will be a huge difference, but it can't hurt. When mine needs tires I may look at the 235 route and I would love to find some lighter wheels that I like. I really like the look of the stock wheels, but abhor the weight.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Keep em stock IMO. There aren't too many of these cars around. Value will increase in time...if you're in for the long haul. I can totally see the stock 06-07 headlight lens prices going crazy.

But then again, the SVX is/was a pretty sweet car. Very fun to drive...and even with only 14k of them being sold in the USA, they apparently are NOT desired collectable cars. Go figure.

·
Registered
738 Posts
No spare on an SUV? I think people would revolt. The one thing I actually miss about the grand cherokee that my wife had before - full size spare. I think all cars should have that.
The aternative is run-flat tires. They're stock, for example, on AWD Toyota Sienna where room for a spare wheel could not be found.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts