Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 B9 Tribeca and the gold paint i have noticed there are some swirls..i kinda have ignored it but recently it has bothered me and im realizing i think it is Subarus freaking paint. i love my car but the paint is annyoing..i contacted Subaru about this problem. I want the car repainted, is it expensive? and does it hurt re-sale value? I certaintly dont want to pay for this either. thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
What kind of swirls? You may just need a really good detail to buff out the swirls. I've heard of the gold paint ghosting, but that is totally different then your paint description.

Everytime you wash your car or wipe it down with a towel, you are introducing tiny swirls/ scratches. Only a good detail will get them out, but you def don't need a fill repaint.

Take a look at what I do when I do a full detail. I'm able to get out most paint imperfections.

http://www.sb9t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632&highlight=paint

Feel free to ask any questions.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ohhh ok thanks. I hope your right... I'll put pics of the swirls b/c I'm not sure exactly what " ghosting" looks like. So a a wax job would solve the problem?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Not just a wax. If you have swirls, you'll need the finish to be buffed/ polished out. Basically polishing takes a small layer of clear coat off the car to reveal a fresh finish. Takes time, but it comes out nice.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks..how do you upload pics on this site, i took pictures of the paint and wanted to post them but i cant?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Well, all those pics are wayy to small except for the last one. It's really hard to tell what the imperfections look like. I can't tell if it's ghosting or just a reflection of something else.

Are those "leopard" prints the issue? Or are those just reflections/ shadows?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea sorry the pics had to be small in order for me to post them, i think im going to edit them and make them the size of the last one

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok here are bigger pics...my gut feeling is that its ghosting..i talked to someone that went to the dealer and had it repainted, even without warranty, and it came out good so i think im going to go to my dealer and my dealer as well..but let me know what you think of these if you can see them, they seem bigger then b4..

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Yeah looks like ghosting. There are a few people here that had the same issue and repainted by SOA.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i talked to someone who went throught it and this one dealer in Flemington took care of them and didnt charge them or anything..when i go to my dealer next month ill have them take pictures and send it to SOA

·
Registered
405 Posts
hope they repaint it for you, that looks like ghosting.

I saw a new 09 limited Tribeca in show room with same on only one door panel. Pearl white.

I looked at it from different angles and same look, first I thought it was dust.

I didn't say anything to dealer, cause at the time I was there to pick up one I bought. I don't think it is paint but paint application process.

THEY NEED TO GET THEIR PAINT QUALITY CONTROL IN ORDER, that is for sure!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea people said its not the paint its the primer? and yeah i heard the new white ones have issues. i think they will repaint, ive talked to a few people who went through the process

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay-just heard word they are going to cover it 100%

Keep hounding them. I called SOA again earlier this week, and my rep said (of the 50% offr)-wow you must be delighted given you have 90000 miles on the car!

Obviously that was the wrong thing to say (after 4 months of being dicked around)

So round and around and around we went again. Dealership told me that the factors that had worked in my favor were

I bought the car new
I bought an extended warranty
I did all the major services at the dealership

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
finally good for you! but doesnt the extended warranty cover you till 100,000 miles so you shouldnt have been jerked around??? i have two of what you listed...dont have extended warranty..

·
Registered
405 Posts
Tribeca_06 said:
finally good for you! but doesnt the extended warranty cover you till 100,000 miles so you shouldnt have been jerked around??? i have two of what you listed...dont have extended warranty..
SOA knows about ghosting cause when I was looking at new car and asked about gold and previous ghosting, they stated that they had SOME cars of the previous gold color that they had to repaint due to ghosting.

DID YOU talk to someone in C.S. at S.O.A. and show them your pics via e mail, and even other examples of same car?

This is a factory paint issue, there is plenty of documented cases if you search for examples to make your case.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah lol im going to contact them in a week, and also see my dealer, but im going to do what you said and contact SOA first then dealer

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
whitey1 said:
Okay-just heard word they are going to cover it 100%

Keep hounding them. I called SOA again earlier this week, and my rep said (of the 50% offr)-wow you must be delighted given you have 90000 miles on the car!

Obviously that was the wrong thing to say (after 4 months of being dicked around)

So round and around and around we went again. Dealership told me that the factors that had worked in my favor were

I bought the car new
I bought an extended warranty
I did all the major services at the dealership
hows your repaint process coming??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts