Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

Transmission issues or not and about what mileage ?

• 90,000 miles or under - NO Problems

Votes: 48 43.2%
  • 90,000 miles or under - YES Problems

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • 110,000 miles - NO Problems

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • 110,000 miles - YES Problems

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • 130,000 miles - NO Problems

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 130,000 miles - YES Problems

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • 150,000 miles - NO Problems

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • 150,000 miles - YES Problems

• 170,000 miles or above - NO Problems

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • 170,000 miles or above - YES Problems

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am strongly considering getting a tribecca, I am stepping away from Chrysler, I have always respected Subaru. Here is my question as Chrysler is known for there lukewarm transmission reliability, I worry about the Tribecas 5EAT transmission, I have heard it has reliability issues. I have also heard in 2008 it was revised to solve such problems. If there is anyone who could enlighten me to what specific changes they made to the transmission I would love to hear it.
From everyone though I would humbly submit that you share with me your experiences on this transmission. Please submit the following;

Miles on transmission
any problems, and whether minor glitches or major problems
any rebuilds

thank you..........

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have posted regarding my problems with the 2008 Tribeca transmission.
My dealer witnessed the problem. But Subaru could not fix it, and in fact refused to admit there was anything wrong with the car.
There is a definite problem which has been there since the car was new, and in fact my dealer has admitted he has had two other Tribecas with the same problem.
I would be VERY suspect of purchasing any Tribeca.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My '06 Tribeca hit 106,000 miles and the check engine light turned on which was suddenly accompanied by weird shifting. The dealer said the speed sensor needed to be replaced. When they went to replace the part, I asked for a tranny service as well. When they took of the tranny pan, they found a bunch of metal debris and say the car shouldn't be driven and they also cannot replace the speed sensor either due to the fact the tranny could possibly damage the new speed sensor somehow. I was told they could open up the tranny but I will have to pay around $1000 just to have it diagnosed!!! What pisses me off the most is the car is only 6000 miles out of warranty and then this happens!!! Its like the car was made to die when the warranty is up! Subaru corporate isn't really offering any real help which is shocking considering I am a 4 time Subaru owner who has been very loyal to the brand. However, if SOA can't get us help soon, we may walk from the vehicle and the brand entirely and this is HUGE to anyone who knows me and my love of Subarus. Tomorrow, I am speaking with SOA corporate again and if I can't get them to come up to bat for me, I am likely done with them forever.... :censored:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have written to the CEO in Japan about my issues. I am DONE with trying to get anywhere with Subaru of Canada. They have denied there is anything wrong with the car although the technicians here insist there is.
Hope you have luck with SOA. Keeps us posted!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well... my Tribeca has been repaired and is awaiting my pickup. The issues I have right now is lack of funds and a ride to dealership. Hoping my check arrives today. Subaru corporate and Irvine Subaru wound up being very generous and understanding and helped me out quite a bit. However, I cannot divulge what deal was worked out. As for the actual problem, they did a tranny teardown and upon opening it up they found the intermediate shaft was in rally bad shape. They replaced the intermediate shaft, soft parts (gaskets/seals/bushings, etc), and the speed sensor which they say was somehow damaged by the metal debris. I hope to get it back today because our backup car (Saturn Relay van) really sucks to drive! With the 6 days of steady heavy rain we just had out here, I was really missing my Subaru as I hydroplaned many times in the van! We are also expecting more rain Christmas night and the day after... :eek:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Serious?

@HB DAD: 100000 miles out of a tranny and your this upset, I think thankful is the appropriate respose? Then you can't divulge their deal? Ya, Ok.:bs::wtf:

·
Registered
6 Posts
grandv8 said:
I am strongly considering getting a tribecca, I am stepping away from Chrysler, I have always respected Subaru. Here is my question as Chrysler is known for there lukewarm transmission reliability, I worry about the Tribecas 5EAT transmission, I have heard it has reliability issues. I have also heard in 2008 it was revised to solve such problems. If there is anyone who could enlighten me to what specific changes they made to the transmission I would love to hear it.
From everyone though I would humbly submit that you share with me your experiences on this transmission. Please submit the following;

Miles on transmission
any problems, and wether minor glitches or major problems
any rebuilds

thank you..........
I have an 08, I did a trans service at my dealer at 60K, shortly after the shudder at 35mph started. I have 78K now and am trying to get the dealer to rectify.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 08, at 60K I had the dealer do a trans service to avoid damage long term. Shortly after the service the shudder started at 35 mph. I have 78K and nothing has changed. I am dropping it off at the dealer on Tuesday of next week. Now they want $125 to do diagnostics, could be my last Subaru.

·
Registered
21 Posts
transmission problems

Well, Subaru Canada have written and "closed" my case just as the 3yr warranty on my 2008 Tribeca ends. Fortunately for any future purchaser, there is still the 5yr powertrain warranty. I hope whoever buys it keeps up the pressure, I am tired! Which is what Subaru Canada wanted.
The problem with my transmission started when new. Many visits and two torque converter replacements later, the dealer admits there is a problem he cannot fix, and Subaru insists there is not a problem and refuses to do anything further. Subaru Canada even try to make me believe that the technicians found no problem, when I have written and verbal reports to the contrary.
I have owned many cars, and have NEVER experienced such a problem.
Subaru says it is a "normal shift pattern". If it is "normal" for a car to REPEATEDLY try to change down a gear unsuccesfully, such that the result is a repeated jerking sensation, much like an engine misfire, then Subaru have a point....but then who wants to drive a car that has those characteristics?
Jerking your way up any incline or in passing mode is not what I paid $40k plus for!!
Fortunately my Subaru dealer is also a MB and BMW dealer and I have happily
replaced my '08 Tribeca with a 2011 BMW X5 diesel. \love it! What a difference...!! goodbye and good riddance Tribeca. I expected much more from Subaru, sadly I can never recommend Subaru to anyone.
:tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :wave: SUBARU

·
Registered
164 Posts
There is a big difference between a 2011 X5 and a 2008 Tribeca. I'm still happy with my 2009 Tribeca and haven't experienced the issues you have (knock on wood), but congrats on moving on from your troubled car and into your new bimmer. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks you for your good wishes.
I agree there is a difference between a Tribeca and an X5. However. when I bought the Tribeca in Canada in 2008, the price difference was not what it is today. Tribeca here today sells for about $ 47,000 !
Regardless of cost, a vehicle should not perform as mine did. I bought a Subaru instead of an Audi, MB, BMW etc. because my friends and acquaintances recommended Subaru. (none had a Tribeca). Had Subaru stood behind the car, I would still have it and perhaps have purchased another!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm having Trans problems (Harsh downshift, surges, very hard upshift 1-2 @~20km/h) on my brand new 2011 MY12 Tribeca. This is my first and possibly be my LAST Subaru!

·
Registered
6 Posts
i was able to convince Subaru to pay for one half of the repair on my Tribeca. Still cost me a thousand dollars. The problem is a faulty torque converter on the previous years model. I was under the impression that the redesigned part was being installed on later year models. You are clearly under full warranty so go hard on your dealer to replace whatever is necessary.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Wanted to bring this back to the top and get a new generation of Tribeca owners surveyed. With the exception of this, only report problems on the poll if you have had a transmission issue requiring a repair of over $150. You can post noted shifting issues here but on the poll unless you've actually had a repair don't post it as a problem, just wanting the poll to reflect actual transmission failures or actually needing repairs

·
Registered
1 Posts
08 Tri-broke-a
180,000--complete transmission failure-- had the common shifting problems all its life.
Replaced with a re-manned trans. Still falls on its face between gears. And now it stutters on a load (just before it kicks down)
192,000- engine blew up. Didn't see that coming.. faithful oil changes and well maintained. I 1/2 expected the trans to go, after reading their history, but I thought the Boxer 6 would last forever! Suddenly the '17 Toyota 4Runner ain't so UGLY!

·
Registered
794 Posts
08 Tri-broke-a
180,000--complete transmission failure-- had the common shifting problems all its life.
Replaced with a re-manned trans. Still falls on its face between gears. And now it stutters on a load (just before it kicks down)
192,000- engine blew up. Didn't see that coming.. faithful oil changes and well maintained. I 1/2 expected the trans to go, after reading their history, but I thought the Boxer 6 would last forever! Suddenly the '17 Toyota 4Runner ain't so UGLY!
But after 192K, it suddenly might be!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
"192k - engine blew up."

What caused the failure? Piston, rod, crank? Many of the H6's in the outbacks go well beyond this. Usually people gets get tired of the nickle and diming at this age.

The transmission failure at 180k, was the fluid ever changed? What was the failure? Valve body is most common failure, which requires about an $800 part vs full transmission replacement.

Is the warranty on the re manufactured transmission expired? It's only be 12k!

Just trying to understand the issues, so I can be premptive with my own 08 which I need to last another year or 2.

Tom

1 - 20 of 53 Posts