Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you for having such a wonderful sight! I have read for hours but I don't seem to find an issue like mine.
Started having issues with no warning no symptoms on our 07 with 69k miles. She backed out of the garage, switched to Drive and the Tribeca wouldn't move forward. Gave it a little more gas and it clunked into gear and moved forward. Same thing in Reverse. It doesn't seem to be going into park either, the lever moves to park and you feel the drivetrain release, but it will roll forward. No transmission codes, no lights (using Snapon Solus). Fluid looks good and is at the right level. This is probably a coincidence but when I turned the key on to check for codes, I heard a weird humming. Took a minute, but I found it is coming from the Throttle Sensor. I got excited when I found the battery was only at 25% capacity, but after charging on the charger, it didn't make any difference.
Not sure where to go now.......help!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
alternator is original? There the aftermarket alternators claim they work with the H6, but they don't work correctly.

Fluid looks good, so it's been changed recently and replaced with subaru ATF-HP, the preferred fluid for our transmissions? Check it running, after full warm up?

I would also check grounds.

Any recent service to the car? Any reason the engine was pulled? Seems like a pump pressure issue...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alternator is original and putting out proper voltage.
Fluid was changed approx 30k ago. Looks, smells ok.
Grounds all seem good, cables and connections are clean.
Had a remote start (aftermarket) installed about a month ago through a reputable shop, but no issues that I know of related to that.

·
Registered
548 Posts
i really have no idea, but lets try a few things that might point us in the right direction.

When you move the lever, does the combination meter show correct gear position selected?
Have you tried it in manual mode? Does the car move?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to get the whole car jacked up and confirmed that it doesn't seem to be in park....I can spin all 4 wheels.
Tires and rims are stock size and equal wear.

The display DOES show the correct gear as you shift the lever. I have only had my Snapon Solus for about a month and I know not all of the Subie PID's might not work, but the Solus is showing it is in 1st gear, until I switch to manual...then it will show 2nd if I change it.....but again this is on the Snapon.

Is there a way to make sure the gearbox is engaging?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok....quick update! It does react the same using drive or by manually changing in sport mode. Here is the interesting part! The scanner is showing that the "Front Wheel Speed" is anywhere between 6-14 just sitting while in gear. Then it will drop to 0 and the car will move. I start up the drive (Driveway is an incline) and the front speed goes up again, car starts going backwards until it hits zero again.
The wheels speed sensors seem to be reporting correctly. I am guessing there may be other speed sensors....Gonna google the sensor locations now.

If I look at the 4 wheel sensors at the same time, they match. Does anybody know if the tranny has a front/rear speed sensor?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I was able to confirm it is the front vehicle speed sensor on the transmission. I am starting a new thread to see if anyone has been able to change one at home. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
548 Posts
The rear speed sensor is at the back of the transmission on the outside, near prop shaft. This one could be serviced relatively easily.
The front speed sensor is inside the transmission.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are the second person to point that out so maybe I am looking at this wrong? I am going by the dealer diagram pulled up with the vin. Sorry for the auction picture, but this is what they say should be replaced...the entire harness. I circled in red the part I removed and am calling the front VSS. The 2 brown and gray plugs are on top of the tranny toward the front where the tranny meets the gearbox. The all black sensor that immediately follows it the first sensor toward the front....am I seeing this wrong, it isn't the front VSS?

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts
i'd follow PlainOm's advice over on the outback forum, raise wheels and start turning to see where it doesn't work mechanically.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, still need a little more drive time before I am 100% confident, but it seems to have all been caused by the front drivers side CV not staying locked in place. When the CV slid out, the VSS saw the change in speed and did some crazy stuff!
Thanks for all the help guys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts