Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where the heck is the transmission filter on a Tribecca!!!!! (2008) After a weeks worth of research on this site and other places, I have been unable to find any diagrams, notes or posts on this. I know it is a spin on and the closest I have come is a post about the Legacy that says for that model it is tucked into a nook in the fender wall. Did they try to make this the most difficult car in automotive history to work on? You can't even find a repair manual except for the Subaru shop manual which I am sure pleases them to no end. $$$$$$$
Can any one help me?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok once again information on the Tribecca must be classified with the CIA. The previous link which shows a service manual for the 5AT tranny,(which took three weeks of net searching to find) is indeed the tranny in the mysterious Tribecca, however, the location diagram of the transmission filter (for those incredibly brave souls who attempt to service this vehicle themselves..gasp) is incorrect. It must once again be for a Legacy or some other model. It is in the same general area. Located under the battery stand. Probably the most inconvenient place they could find to put it. Looks like I will either have to disconnect the lines and unbolt the filter bracket and fish the whole assembly out through the top, or take off the driver side wheel and remove the fender liner to get at the filter directly. This is why labor costs so much at the dealer folks. "Let's see if we can make this car as labor intensive to work on as possible! Even for something simple!" - love, Subaru

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did you ever find/replace the transmission filter? Bought a new filter for our '08 yesterday and can't seem to find where it mounts. I downloaded a FSM from subaru and it says to remove the front bumper to gain access. Seems kind of ridiculous to have to go thru that to change a filter.

If you were able to change it pls share the secret. :) Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
The easiest way to get that filter off is to remove the driver side headlight, no need to remove the bumper.

To remove the headlight there are 3 screws holding it at the bottom, you will need to access it through the fender well from the bottom then use a long philips head screwdriver to remove, you will then remove the top 2 screws and unplug the connector by moving the wiper fill tube.

I've remove the headlights before so I know where the filter is located at.

·
Registered
184 Posts
changed transmission filter- no big deal

pull out the plastic pins around the edges of the plastic bumper cover to allow you to pull it out like a flap for access.

filter is on tight!

i frettted over doing this , but i saw a utube video and a wrx bumper cover and the tribeca is about the same.

I think I could do this job again in about 1/2 hour

transmission filter was $35 at the dealer

this is great that you dont have to drop the pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
clogged,filthy "lifetime" transmission filter

Ok answering my own question here. Finally found complete service manual for 5AT tranny. Everything you would ever want to know about it. Filter on pg. 54 Though it says the filter is maintenance free, nothing is maintenance free, especially after 100'000 miles or so. Anything can plug up!!! http://bethnrayndogs.com/car_docs/Subaru/Legacy_OB/Transmission/5AT_Automatic_Trans.pdf
jerry : you are right.
I cut my filter open at 143k- this thing is clogged and filthy. I wouldnt delay replacing. its easy to do

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is the location for the AT filter the same for the '10 year? I keep getting AT temp flashing light. Went to check the code and it said it was missing oil. Added two quartz first and it went away then came back 5 days later. Added another quart went away for about 2 weeks and yet again. I see no leaks though, I'm wondering if its the temperature sensor? I'm going to do the oil change on it, since I'm guessing the previous owner neglected to do so. Last time i changed the spark plugs and they're were horrible. Also I need tiny hands haha.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yes its behind bumper cover over drivers side fog light

·
Registered
703 Posts
You have to remove the bumper. Unless you have hands the size of a 5 year-old, the dexterity of a seasoned mechanic and the arm strength of a lonely college male.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Weird I removed both headlights and fog lights to re-seal them but don't recall seeing the filter
Here is the location of AT filter for 2009 Subaru Tribeca. Just remove the driver-side Tire and remove driver side fender liner. It was easy to access. Please see the attached photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Noob question here.
How much tranny fluid did you lose throughout the switchover? Is this only done while replacing all the transmission fluid?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Noob question here.
How much tranny fluid did you lose throughout the switchover? Is this only done while replacing all the transmission fluid?
When opening the filter, less that half a liter of oil drained. However, I changed both the AT oil and filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info! I followed and changed the filter. But it was so tight, I ended up cutting the filter open with reciprocating saw before could take it off. Put new one on and torqued to Subaru's suggestion, which is tight. Hopefully will never need to change again. Mine is at 89K miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts