Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( My wife's 06 B( has a strange shifting concern. Driving up a medium grade around 45 MPH, the trans will shift down to 4th and the car gains speed. Even with a steady throttle at the top of the hill it doesn't shift back to 5th. I have to go to sport mode and force the upshift. It is pretty consistant on the same road every Sunday after picking the kids up from Sunday school. I called the dealer and I'm going for a ride with a tech tomorrow, hope I can duplicate it. Anybody else have something similar?

·
Registered
552 Posts
The 06/07 trannys have some pretty crappy programming. I believe others have had success with the dealer programming a new shift map. Others just "deal" with it or use the sport shift. Supposedly for 08 Subaru completely revamped the tranny programming.

I know in my experience the tranny hunts between gears when going up hills. It usually forces me to hit the gas a little more to force the down shift (sometimes I get going faster than I should be though:rolleyes:) or use sport mode to do it myself.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
snork said:
The 06/07 trannys have some pretty crappy programming. I believe others have had success with the dealer programming a new shift map. Others just "deal" with it or use the sport shift. Supposedly for 08 Subaru completely revamped the tranny programming.

I know in my experience the tranny hunts between gears when going up hills. It usually forces me to hit the gas a little more to force the down shift (sometimes I get going faster than I should be though:rolleyes:) or use sport mode to do it myself.
Is there a way that the dealer can reprogram the shift map for our 07? I also experience the odd gear hunting/ changing but I just live with it for now.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I really think that the problem with the 3.0l models is a mis-match of gearing and engine power. No amount of remapping will change that. Top and fourth are too high for such a heavy car with so little torque.
Our '07 model will not hold top up a long incline unless speeds are over 100mph; even then it is happier on fourth. Try to maintain 70mph up a steep incline and it is changing into third. There is a huge gap between third and fourth so this means another jerky shift and a screaming engine - not ideal in an otherwise pretty refined car.
I'm getting used to driving around it but I imagine that the real difference on the '08 model has little to do with shift mapping and more to do with the engine having enough grunt to pull the gearing.
The overall ratios are the same as the 3.0l Legacy (with a final drive adjustment to take account of the larger wheel/tyre combo) which is a much lighter and more aerodynamic car. They really needed to drop fourth and fifth by 10% for the B9 application.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a update, went for ride with technician and could not duplicate concern in 45 minute test drive. I asked if there was an update or flash and he said he didn't think so but would check. Service manager came back and told me they were flashing the computer with an update. So far we haven't noticed the problem, but only about 20 miles since. I'll post with update.

BTW, the tech did tel me that 42-47 is the normal up/down shift point for 4th/5th and the trans may hang a little longer than normal depending on driving conditions.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another update, My wife has put about 150 miles since the flash update and it appears the shifting concern is corrected. Hope this helps some one else that may be having odd shifting concerns.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
swootton said:
Just a update, went for ride with technician and could not duplicate concern in 45 minute test drive. I asked if there was an update or flash and he said he didn't think so but would check. Service manager came back and told me they were flashing the computer with an update. So far we haven't noticed the problem, but only about 20 miles since. I'll post with update.

BTW, the tech did tel me that 42-47 is the normal up/down shift point for 4th/5th and the trans may hang a little longer than normal depending on driving conditions.
Can you tell me what update I should ask the tech for?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They didn't specifically tell me what the update was and the technician wasn't aware of it until he logged into Subaru with our VIN#. It appears to be a remap of the shift schedule. If you have shift concerns, bring it in and if they don't find anything, ask them if there is a reflash or update for the transmission.:tup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just call me silly :)
~ Was the Update (Flash) stated on you RECEIPT with all the jobs done on your Tribeca when serviced? However, if the remap was not stated on the Receipt /Bill... they were just politely calling you crazy and sending you on your way ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Being a technician, I was wondering the same thing, but I do personally know the Service Manager and the technician seemed to be straight up about what they were going to do. I did not get a copy of the paperwork as there was no "payed" work performed,my bad. The transmission does shift fine now, has not had one hiccup since the flash.

·
Registered
552 Posts
swootton said:
Being a technician, I was wondering the same thing, but I do personally know the Service Manager and the technician seemed to be straight up about what they were going to do. I did not get a copy of the paperwork as there was no "payed" work performed,my bad. The transmission does shift fine now, has not had one hiccup since the flash.
Any time work is done on your car you should demand paperwork, even if done under warranty/no pay, they should give you a print out of actions taken, even if it's just a description (ie: test drove with customer, remapped transmission) and a $0.00 dollar amount. If the problem ever appears again (especially after the warranty period) this will be your proof of previous issue and may get it done for free as good will warranty work.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
snork said:
Any time work is done on your car you should demand paperwork, even if done under warranty/no pay, they should give you a print out of actions taken, even if it's just a description (ie: test drove with customer, remapped transmission) and a $0.00 dollar amount. If the problem ever appears again (especially after the warranty period) this will be your proof of previous issue and may get it done for free as good will warranty work.
I bet he could still get the report. At Honda, the dealer keeps service records by VIN's for one rolling year. So if they did input the "service" in the system, they should be able to retrieve it for you. I want to check in with my dealer, but I would like to know what exactly they did for you. If you could find out, that would be great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
snork said:
'Snork' is absolutely right! This not only provides adequate proof for you when picking up/inspecting your vehicle..but, also for future reference. Service Managers/Techs are 'Shady'... Beleive me when I tell you. I lost my love to wrench for a living, due to working for 3 Dealerships & 1 garage that could not uphold an honest business. I have seen $ jobs go to $$$$, just because...! Yep.., Thats right.. "Just Because!"
I also have found No 'Service Bulletein' in regards to Re/Flash. I will call my local Guys tomorrow...as they usually call me when senario's like this arise. If it does exist.. I will spread the word like FIRE!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Getting back to shift issues; in my 07 when I am in Sport mode on the highway it will stay in 4th up to around 80 mph or so until back off the throttle. Most of the time it will up shift and sometimes it won't. Most of the time I just pop it back over to regular auto mode. Does anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
hawker800mech said:
Getting back to shift issues; in my 07 when I am in Sport mode on the highway it will stay in 4th up to around 80 mph or so until back off the throttle. Most of the time it will up shift and sometimes it won't. Most of the time I just pop it back over to regular auto mode. Does anyone else notice this?
I only throw it into sport when I need to pass someone in the highway. Once that is done, it goes back into standard mode.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
swootton said:

I checked in with my service manager about this flash update. On our 07, he hooked it up to the computer and said there were no flash updates available. At any rate, I've been putting premium back in her vs. 89. She runs pretty damn smooth now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mulitple people have mentioned that there is one available. We'll just have to keep diggin to find out. I want to get an updated and until I produce some bulletin number or something, my dealer will keep telling me they can't reproduce it. Of course not, I only notice it when I'm going 70-80 out in the boonies...something their test drives certainly won't notice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is no new Trans. map for 06/07 B9's

Just to clarify the issue of there being a new /revision map for 06'/07' Tribeca and their sucky Transmission mapping/hardware. I am afraid there might be one, but, no one admits to understanding the issue. Having descent resources for here in NY, I drove out today to get my Front Bushing/Endlinks replaced at North Shore Subaru in Glen Cove (Big Weekend Race/Rally Group Guys) and have confirmed this. I was just BS'n while I waited for my 'Beca to get done.. When I received an email on my phone from SB9T.Com/Reply.. It reminded me to ask. They just laughed at the whole thing and said they would check and found there might be one and will find out and to give them 3-5 days to figure if remedy the common Lagg issue. On, the way home I called 3 parts/service reps that I deal with in the Queens/Brooklyn area and all Confirmed, No, but appears they may have been one issued and to get back to them at an earlier hour as it was to late to go into detail.

Seriously, If there was a new map.. then there would be a BULLETEIN and there appears to be one.. see POST (below this one). The average person doesn't notice this laggy transmission or has not been shown to reflect on safety, so Subaru has not chosen to address this as a recall. So until my lease is up and my fiancee continues to drive this B9.. I will just sit back and dream of the late 09' model to come.

Not, to get off topic.. but, I saw some BadA$$ 08' STi today.. and drove 08' Forester XT and Me Likes :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
DizzyV6P said:
Mulitple people have mentioned that there is one available. We'll just have to keep diggin to find out. I want to get an updated and until I produce some bulletin number or something, my dealer will keep telling me they can't reproduce it. Of course not, I only notice it when I'm going 70-80 out in the boonies...something their test drives certainly won't notice.
"Multiple People have metioned it"..
Are they SUBARU Service Techs/Service Writer? I have searched and have others helped search for me in Canada and Cali. dealers, they all said the same that there is nothing for my specific issue. There is a Learning Map/Curve for when a Transmission is serviced and that is it - cold there possibly be more to this: See link below

:) Please see link for 2007 tribeca bulletins: http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/ixSearchKwBu.jsp?model_year=2007&vehicle_line=B9+Tribeca&transmission=&engine_size=&drive_train=&publication_type=16&text_keyword=&keyword=&bulletin=3

Automatic Transmission Learning Control Procedure (299.11 kb)16-72-07 >
Click the Link and then Click Question Mark Icon Folks , (not this one).. the one attatched to bulletin. That will give you break down of the bulletin.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.