Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone attempted to change their trans fluid and/or rear differential fluid? We're almost at 40k and I'd like to do this done Friday before we take a long trip to upstate NY.
I've never done an automatic flush myself, only the 6 speed on my STI. With the STI, it was as simple as pulling 2 plugs, letting it drain out and then re-filling. Is it the same for an auto, or is there more to it?

As for the rear diff, I haven't looked at it so I don't know what I'm getting into. My STI has a diff temp sensor in one spot and a drain plug in the second...just wondering if the Tribeca is similar (don't have the car here to look at myself btw).

Rear diff is going to be filled with Amsoil Severe Gear 75-90, however Amsoil doesn't make a trans fluid so that would have to be OEM Subaru fluid.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
changed the diff on our b9 in under an hour with amsoil synthetic. odd thing is that the car shifts are a lot smoother now. a tip unscreww the filler hole first then the drian plug. this is best pratice in case you cant get the filler plug out. it becomes very clear once all the oil is drained and you cant fill it up.

·
Registered
192 Posts
DubyaSTI said:
Has anyone attempted to change their trans fluid and/or rear differential fluid? We're almost at 40k and I'd like to do this done Friday before we take a long trip to upstate NY.
I've never done an automatic flush myself, only the 6 speed on my STI. With the STI, it was as simple as pulling 2 plugs, letting it drain out and then re-filling. Is it the same for an auto, or is there more to it?

As for the rear diff, I haven't looked at it so I don't know what I'm getting into. My STI has a diff temp sensor in one spot and a drain plug in the second...just wondering if the Tribeca is similar (don't have the car here to look at myself btw).

Rear diff is going to be filled with Amsoil Severe Gear 75-90, however Amsoil doesn't make a trans fluid so that would have to be OEM Subaru fluid.

Any help would be appreciated.
If you are not sure, just take it to the dealer. Its worth it anyway as if anything goes wrong later, you can blame them! :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
yea my B9 is about to hit 30k and I am needing to get the service done...

Trans Fluid/Filter change
Radiator Coolant Change
And over all inspection thing they do

I try to do everything myself, but with this as being a "new car" I am afraid to dig into it with the tranny fluid and filter change.

I was just wondering what to expect when I take it to the dealer, like how much the stealership is going to charge me for a service including all the stuff mentioned in the list??

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up doing the diff before our trip. I used Amsoil Severe Gear 75-90. The only issue was finding a bit that fit into the hole of the drain and fill plugs. I ended up borrowing it from my neighbor, IIRC it was a 10mm hex bit that I attached to a breaker bar. The fill plug was much tougher to pry loose then the drain was. Nevertheless it ended well, but I don't notice any difference in how the car feels, it's just good to know there is fresh fluid in there.
Up next, trans flush (dealer will be doing that), radiator flush, and brake fluid change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel stupid asking this but dosent the Tribeca have a front diff as well as a rear one? On my 06 Outback, there was both however I only see reference to the rear on this post.

·
449 Posts
Yes the Tribeca has a front diff. The tranny filter (located in the left side fender well) is not something subaru says you need to change unless it gets damaged. And, while it looks like a motor oil filter it's not. It's specific to the tranny.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I changed the rear diff myself. And the book easily tells you how to do it. The front has the transmission, but also a front differential gear box - filler wire gauge located on the low rear passenger side of the engine/tranny.

How do you change the front diff? Book doesn't show a drain plug, or fill plug, I assume you fill at the filler wire gauge hole? I am changing with Royal Purple max gear 75/90.

I am also changing the trans fluid using Royal Purple MAX ATF. I am just going to drain, refill, run for a little, then drain again and refill.

·
Registered
118 Posts
msieg080 said:
How do you change the front diff? Book doesn't show a drain plug, or fill plug, I assume you fill at the filler wire gauge hole? I am changing with Royal Purple max gear 75/90.

I am also changing the trans fluid using Royal Purple MAX ATF. I am just going to drain, refill, run for a little, then drain again and refill.
The consensus is to do a drain and fill only on tranny. no need to stir up any gunk.

Here is some info on the front diff:

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts