Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

Tranny fluid drain and fill

27K views 45 replies 24 participants last post by  Flat6er 
#1 ·
I'm gonna attempted this when it gets warm. How many liters will I need? Also has anyone changed the filter and do you really have to take off the front bumper?

#5 ·
Tranny Filter instructions

ATF Filter​
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

18.ATF Filter​

A: REMOVAL​

1) Remove the front bumper. <Ref. to EI-21, REMOVAL,

Front Bumper.>
2) Using the ST, remove the ATF filter.
ST 498545400 OIL FILTER WRENCH​

B: INSTALLATION​

1) Apply a thin coat of ATF to the oil seal part of

new ATF filter.
2) Install the ATF filter. Turn it by hand, being careful
not to damage oil seal.
3) Tighten the ATF filter using ST.
Calculate the ATF filter tightening torque using following
formula.
T2 = L2/(L1 + L2) × T1
T1: 14 N·m (1.4 kgf-m, 10.1 ft-lb)
[Required torque setting]
T2: Tightening torque
L1: ST length 78 mm (3.07 in)
L2: Torque wrench length
Example:
NOTE:
Align the ST with the torque wrench while tightening
the ATF filter.
ST 498545400 OIL FILTER WRENCH
4) Fill ATF.
5) Inspect the level of ATF. <Ref. to 5AT-26, Automatic
Transmission Fluid.>
6) Install the front bumper. <Ref. to EI-22, INSTALLATION,
Front Bumper.>​

C: INSPECTION​

Check for rust, hole, ATF leaks or other damage.

Replace the part if any damage is found in the inspection.​

Torque wrench length

mm (in)
Tightening torque
N·m (kgf-m, ft-lb)
100 (3.94) 7.7 (0.79, 5.7)
150 (5.91) 9.0 (0.92, 6.7)
200 (7.87) 10 (1.0, 7.4)​
AT-03251

#10 ·
NatetheSkate said:
ive read elsewhere on this forum that the tranny filter is not to b replaced unless damaged.
We know that.
The question is has anyone done it and how was it done.
Anyone?
As someone that cuts his used oil filters apart to inspect them after every oil change, I don't trust them to last until it becomes damaged externally.

#14 ·
just did a drain and fill yesterday on my 2010 beca limited.....took 4 quarts to fill.....used Idemitsu ATF HP....dealer wanted $10.00 a quart for Subaru ATF and I got Idemitsu from CarQuest for $6.35 per quart........will say that I was surprised how dirty the fluid was at 30K miles.....it was brown, not red.....will run this another week and do another drain and fill and see what the fluid looks like then before I do a third time.......will do this again at 60K and change the filter then.......very easy to do......

#18 ·
Contrary to what your owners manual says, they have retracted the use of any tranny fluid other than Idemitsu-HP or Subaru factory transmission fluid. I am going to attempt to pull the driver side headlamp assembly out and change the filter now. Dont really want to take the bumper off but i'm having serious issues with tranny.

#19 ·
steelers8625 said:
Contrary to what your owners manual says, they have retracted the use of any tranny fluid other than Idemitsu-HP or Subaru factory transmission fluid. I am going to attempt to pull the driver side headlamp assembly out and change the filter now. Dont really want to take the bumper off but i'm having serious issues with tranny.
let us know if the headlight capsule gives you access or do we have to pull the bumper to change the filter?/
thank you

#20 ·
Ok, the headlight capsule will not come off without taking the bumper off, however there is an easy solution to getting to the filter. Simply take out the battery and it will give you access to the 2 bolts holding the bracket for the tranny filter on. take these 2 bolts out, and then follow the line down and unclip them and pull the bracket, filter, and lines out. Once i figured this out it's about a 10 minute job at best. You will need a vise and pipe wrench if this is the first time the filter has been changed, they must torque the heck out of it when they initially install it.

#30 ·
My drain only gets out 3 quarts by putting it up on ramps cold and letting it drain for 10 minutes. I'd rather get 3 out than 4 if it means I can be done faster. If the bottom bolt is left off of the headlamp assembly, you can just pull it forward to access the filter...super easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.