Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts
It would be interesting to hear from someone that actually changed the filter and see if it can be done without removing the bumper.
2008 Subaru T RIBECA
very simple, just remove the fender cover on the driver's side, it is a plastic that covers the fender on the inside and you will look at the filter, you do not have to remove the fender or headlight

I haven't done it myself (yet, anyways), but workshop that did - they said it is possible, though quite tight fit (or may be they are lazy :D

well. So called "facelifted" 5eat - both filters are "normal" filters, not like early 5eat.
I wonder - what it (crude mesh screen) is supposed to catch then...
Sorry to bring up an old post, but do you mean if you drop the pan on the trans, instead of the flat mesh filter I have seen pics of, there is a spin on the same type as front left engine bay? How does it fit? From pics I've seen it looks like the flat mesh one is just above the pan. Also, since I can't for the life of me undo the trans drain plug, can I just drain by loosening the trans pan, more so at one corner to drain it, remove pan, replace the internal filter, replace pan and refill? I might be having an issue with a solenoid so if I am I might be able to do that at the same time. Thanks mate

no.
1) this is internal filter for TG5D (facelifted 5eat) - JR507E, 5EAT, TG5D7 AUTO TRANSMISSION FILTER for 2005-UP NISSAN, SUBARU 5 SPEED | eBay
2) this is internal filter for TG5C (prefacelifted 5eat) - NA - 5 Speed, 5EAT Transmission Filter
3) this is external filter which was on TG5C present and on TG5D up to ~2010 or 2012 (either way - it was dropped by the end of production) - Subaru Transmission Filter Part# 38325aa032 | Sawtooth Subaru Parts

internal filters are accessible when you remove oil pan.

of course - you can replace fluid by taking off oil pan, changing filter etc etc.
just a BIG reminder - be careful with level of fluid... I think that i was dumb enough to almost kill the transmission with checking level wrong.
remember:
1) proper oil level check is when engine is running
2) look at both sides of dipstick, because of S-shape dipstick tube - one side of it will have atf all over it (which doesn't mean a shit) - other might not be very clear either.
3) WHEN ENGINE IS running - cold = atf temp between 20 and 30degrees Celsius, hot = atf temp is between 70 and 80.

to be able to have at least ballpark level - with engine off and oil not warmed up - your level should read(from my observations) - around 8mm ABOVE HOT top mark!
so - hope you do have proper obd2 adapter to look at atf temps. if not - I can make suggestions, of course. but that is a bit other topic.

good luck. this can be done.
p.s. look around for subaru dealerships - I would highly recommend to do "learning control" after that kind of service. but that, again, is another topic... if you are interested in those other topics - ask :D

@avk, and leave internal one full of crap inside? right where oil pickup is happening?
external filter has valve - if it gets clogged, it opens up and it just doesn't filter. all the remaining operation is still going on.

internal one (strainer) will just close atf supply to transmission... I think it is clear that internal one is "a bit more" important than the first...

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.