Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I dropped the pan on our old (long gone) 99 Sable when I changed the tranny fluid at ~70K. The car was mostly driven by my wife, not a lead foot at all.
There was enough crap in the bottom of the pan to justify dropping and cleaning it out.
The Tribeca now has 97K on it, so I'm sure there will be junk in the botom of the pan.
I'll do it for piece of mind.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think the Ultra Black is going to do better for you in this case. since you are not dealing with crankcase pressure and higher temps ,the Ultra Gray is a much stronger RTV .but harder to apply and less pliable .also it cures very fast ,i heard some people use the Honda Bond since is a little cheaper that the Subaru stuff ..Regards

·
Registered
168 Posts
Tomorrow I'll be installing the tranny cooler and changing the fluid and filter.
Here's a few pics, maybe you can get the fluid directly from the Idemitsu distributer. The phone # is in the 3rd pic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tranny cooler necessary?

A pretty old thread here I know but if I'm hauling just a bike rack or a light trailer w/ a couple kayaks...will I be ok w/out a transmission cooler?

'09 Tribeca Limited

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue. Your transmission *does* have a cooler, the OE accessory or aftermarket ones are just larger with more capacity. I think they say if you go over 2,000lbs, get the extra cooler, you should be well under that.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I pull a 4'x8' trailer with all my rafting gear over long distances over the rockies and through the hot Utah desert.

No aux cooler on my transmission.

Tom

·
Registered
311 Posts
You will be fine. I just installed one hoping to add life expectancy to the tranny. I never pulled anything, just kayaks and bikes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just installed a Curt receiver from etrailer.com. (free shipping and arrived in 2 days) They have a step by step video of an actual Tribeca install.

Although I had the advantage of using a pit to stand in it was a fairly easy job.

Only had to remove the spare tire. I didn't have to remove any of the bumper cover clips. It actually helped to rest the hitch on the inside of it while I started the nuts.
They advertise it as not interfering with the bumper cover but I did have to trim it just a little.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts