Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 06 when the B9 was released and I saw there was a tranny cooler kit for it I was very interested. I managed to get a copy of the install procedure and it was way more involved than I cared for. It entailed removing the whole front bumper and all sorts of other crap. Now it seems they have revamped the procedure and it looks a lot easier. I ordered one today and will do a ScoobyMods page after I get it in. I should have it early next week. I don't plan on towing anything but I always thing a tranny cooler is a good idea for the extending the life of the tranny itself.

·
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finished doing the install a little bit ago. It's not really hard, just a lot of those plastic fasteners to undo which can be a pain. I'll do a write up soon and post a link.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I installed a transmission cooler on my 09 Tribeca today. I encountered a couple of things which appear different from Peaty’s prior installation.

First, on the 09 Tribeca, the foam on the driver’s side is already perforated at the factory so you know exactly where to cut it.

Second, and more importantly, I got confused by the striping on the cooler hoses and the Subaru instructions. The instructions (at diagram 9) tell you to connect the blue-striped hose to the lower cooler line and to connect the white-striped hose to the upper cooler line. Later, the instructions (at diagram 12) tell you to connect the “Yelow” [sic] hose to the lower trans. line and to install the “Blue” hose to the upper trans. line. However, the striping on BOTH hoses at the ends where they connect to the trans. lines is yellow. After staring at the instructions for way too long and then reviewing Peaty’s excellent installation photos, I determined that the blue-striped hose which connects to the lower cooler line also connects to the LOWER trans. line – not the upper line shown in diagram 12. In fact, if you try to connect the blue hose to the upper trans. line you will find it difficult to stretch that far.

Does anyone know if reversing the fluid flow through the cooler would cause any problems? I am perplexed by the Subaru instructions/hose striping.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ok, I think I've got this thing figured out --

At the bottom of Peaty's installation instructions you will see it is "Issue B," "Date 2005/03/31."

At the bottom of my installation instructions I find "Issue A," Date "2005/01/10."

In Peaty's diagram 9 the hoses are labeled Blue (bottom hose) and Green (top hose).

In my diagram 9 the hoses are labeled Blue (bottom hose) and White (top hose).

In Peaty's diagram 12 the hoses are labeled White (top hose) and Yellow (bottom hose).

In my diagram 12 the hoses are labeled Blue (top hose) and Yelow [sic] (bottom hose).

I am thinking that the Issue A instructions are incorrect and were replaced by Issue B. In which case, my lines are connected properly (e.g., bottom cooler line to bottom trans. line). I may need to flip my top hose end over end so that the White-striped hose end connects to the trans. line instead of the cooler line -- which makes sense to me, because I had to contort (but not kink) it slightly.

So, in short, if you have the "Issue A" instructions, be careful.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I was almost ready to tear it back apart to double check my hoses. They fell right into place with no tweaking, however, so I'm pretty sure they're right. The one thing I did find odd, and still do, is that I went to add more tranny fluid after the install and initial warmup, but there wasn't any more required as the dipstick read in an acceptable area. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I flipped the upper hose end-over-end so that the green-striped end attaches to the cooler (where, coincidentally, there is a green paint mark) and the white-striped end attaches to the upper trans. line. It fell right into place. To heck with those Issue A instructions :)

I checked the fluid (hot) and, like others, found that the level fell within the acceptable range without adding more fluid. The cooler is fairly small, so I was not surprised.

During installation I caught the small quantity of fluid that drained from the hoses in a clean container and returned it to the tranny via the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
311 Posts
AVK I just had the factory hitch added to my car at the dealer. I was thinking of adding the tranny cooler even though the hitch will most likely carry bikes. Anything new to add to what has already been said? What version were your instructions? I would think they are up to at least version C by now.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The instructions in the kit were correct regarding the color coding of the hoses, and the cooler lines were also marked with paint. The M6 bolt was missing from the kit. It still takes time to understand the pictorial with no text. One thing to be aware of is that the fins are soft and very easy to squish. I bent them in one little spot just by slightly touching the surface with my knuckles while gripping the top pipe to attach the hose. Nothing to worry about if it happens, just a reminder that the cooler has to be handled carefully. It's best to attach the hoses before hanging the cooler on the bottom brackets, and that's actually what the instructions seem to call for, but again, there aren't any words. I would also suggest to have spare push fasteners in 10 mm diameter. New ones go in much easier, because the old ones are spread out.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks AVK I ordered my kit today. I plan on installing it next week. I will pick up some 10mm push pins. More to come.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a generic tranny cooler that I bought years ago for a car I don't have any more.
I would assume that if securely mounted all I would need to do is plumb it into the loop and I'm pretty much good to go.
Any cooler should be better than no cooler.
Another project.c

·
Registered
311 Posts
I agree Jim. Now that I have the accessory cooler it is obviously custom designed to fit. A generic cooler would work if you plum it in and secure it properly. Any cooler is better than no cooler I would agree.

·
Registered
746 Posts
You have a tranny cooler stock. The towing package just has a bigger cooler.
There's no stock ATF cooler (oil to air) on US models. The inlet and outlet lines are short-circuited with a curved piece of hose. The single-pass cooler on the right side, in between condenser and radiator, is for fluid in the steering system.
http://opposedforces.com/parts/b9_tribeca/us_w10/type_5/cooling_system/engine_cooling/illustration_2/
The same catalog for Euro models shows a cooler there, most likely identical to the one sold in US/Canada as an accessory:
http://opposedforces.com/parts/b9_tribeca/en_w10/type_11/cooling_system/engine_cooling/illustration_2/

·
Registered
168 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts