Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'd hoped that our tribeca would come with the tow package, but it didn't.

If it were just a matter of installing a hitch, I wouldn't both posting... but the rear under-bumper actually has a "hole" in it to allow for a trailer hitch.

1) Do I have to have a hole cut?
2) Is there a hitch that fits under the factory bumper?
3) Or can I just purchase a factory under-bumper for a car with the towing package? Where?

--M

·
Registered
552 Posts
To answer your questions:
1) Yes, you do have to cut a hole.
2) Not sure, Hidden Hitch does list having a Subaru Tribeca fitting hitch.
3) Factory hitch can be purchased from most any Subaru Parts/Accessories website, allsubaru.com, subaruwrxparts.com, subarugenuineparts.com are a few favorites. allsubaru.com also posts pdfs of the install instructions: http://www.allsubaru.com/pdf/trailerhitch.pdf

Also note that the trailer hitch is usually accompanied by a transmission cooler. Not all the sites sell them as a package...usually about $400 for both. If you go with a hidden hitch, you'd probably want to pick up a separate tranny cooler unless you plan on towing no more than 1k lbs. Either way, I'd opt the tranny cooler just for the added protection it offers your transmission:tup:

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you have any mechanical aptitude and have worked on cars before, the oem hitch is fairly easy to install. Dealer quoted me about 7-8 hrs and I took my time and installed it in about 3 hrs. On the inside of the bumper cover is an outline of where you are suppose to make the cut. Just take your time on cutting the hole. There is a trim piece that covers the edge of the hole you cut.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I don't have any reason for the hitch, but the tranny cooler could be a good idea when I have some money to burn.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Search hitch in here and you will find my install of a Hidden Hitch. I modified it so it will tuck up high but you can install it as it comes and it fits below the bumper. The factory hidden hitch is about $375. The aftermarket hitch is around $135. Easily installed just don't get frustrated with threading the wires attached to the bolts. Be sure to retighten after using the hitch. The tranny cooler is an easy install as well. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts