Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just joined and was led to this forum as I sought info re installation of an aftermarket trailer hitch. I need a Class 3 - 2" receiver hitch to accomodate a new Casita trailer that has a 3500 # max trailer (single axle) weight. Dry weight is around 2500# with a tongue wt of 365#. The Subaru OEM aftermarket kit is a Class 1 (possibly class 2 at best) with a small receiver. We plan to install the transmission cooler.

I have seen some of the posts with installation s where the receiver comes under the bumper but would prefer to use the cut out in the bumper to raise the hitch height. I am disappointed Subaru allows a 3500# towing capacity but only sells the smaller Class 1 hitch which is too lightweight for above. It doesn't make much sense unless I am missing something.

I am impressed with everyone's knowledge and helpfulness and am glad to be a member. If anyone is pulling a lightweight fiberglass trailer with their Tribeca, my wife and I would love to hear of your experiences as we are definitely new at this.

Thanks.

Paul

·
Registered
31 Posts
You will have to modify ( cut and reweld ) a 2" receiver hitch to go through the rear bumper cover. I have a post in here showing my installation, this is about as high as you can get the receiver due to the spare tire location. I believe the max tongue wt. is 250# for the B9. You will definitely notice 300+ pounds back there, especially with the vehicle loaded up with people and gear. There are no air bags available to compensate for the change in rear ride height. Keep in mind the rear axle bearing assembly is really what dictates the rear load weight overloading it will be costly. Good luck and be sure the trailer has functional brakes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts