Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,
1st post in here and I hope this is not the last. I'm currently leasing a 2007 Outback Touring 4EAT (which I REALLY like) and I want to trade it for a 2008 base Tribeca. I have to find somebody who will be willing to continue my lease first tough.

My wife and I are planning to buy a camping trailer (19 -21 feet) and the Outback is only rated at 2700lbs. We're not very interested in a pop-up... My son is 4 years old and I'm a comfy type of guy...

Since the Outback is more ''truckish'' than a Legacy, I'm under the impression that the difference between the Outback and the Tribeca wouldn't be too big. Anybody here, have had an Outback before owning a Tribeca? Aside of power difference (170HP/170 pound-feet vs 242 HP/250 pound-feet), what can you tell me? (handling, breaking, comfort, road noise, etc)

As for the towing part, I'm confident it'll do the job. 19-21 feet camping trailer weighs around 2800 to 3100 pounds (unloaded). I figure I'll be very close (if not a little bit over) to the 3500 pounds limit once it is filled with our stuff, but it should do the job. I do not recall seeing a Tribeca pulling a camping trailer last summer...

Thanks!
Gilles.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Good luck on the purchase. If I'm correct, you'll need the tow package with the transmission cooler to tow the weights you are looking for.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you are getting the 08 tribeca, you will definately enjoy the larger 3.6 engine with a much better torque rating, which will help you for towing that camper. In addition, you will save a bit of gas as the 3.6 takes regular gas compared to the recommended 91 octane for the 3.0. and since you live in Montreal, I am sure you are paying close to $4.75 a gallon.

I have an 97 outback and an 06 tribeca... and you will definately notice a big power difference. Even though the tribeca weighs a lot, it has more get up and go than the outback.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife and I just traded in our 05 Outback for the 08 Tribeca. We like the added room and HP that the Tribeca offers. We most likely would have bought a Tribeca if it was offered when we bought the Outback in '04.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's been 1 month (that I advertised my lease) and got only 1 call. We finally decided to buy a pop-up camper and pull it with the Outback. When the lease will be over, we'll reconsider the Tribeca and maybe a bigger travel trailer.

For those of you who are familiar with pop- ups, we bought a 2006 Rockwood, model 1950. 10 foot box, toilet, shower, hot water tank, heated mattress, outside grill etc... It is in an immaculate condition. It weighs ~1650# (dry weight). Loaded, I'll be close to the Outback limit, but not over. The Outback has a 2700# tow rating. We'll go get it next saturday and we're excited.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you have excellent credit and your current ride is in excellent shape, your friendly Subaru dealer will be happy to help you swap your lease. Been there done that after leasing an Impreza for a year. It all is a matter of how much money you want to add into it. You take a financial hit but there are deep discounts on the Tribeca to offset that right now (especially on a lease).

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I've never leased; only bought. We tend to keep our cars for 5-7 years easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts