Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally my traction control works fine. I have one problem with it. In the snow, if I'm fully stopped and about to pull out onto a street or something I have to shut it off. Why? Well if I don't, the TCS registers no traction to any wheel if they are all slipping and provides no power to any and all wheels, this is especially noticeable if plows have come through on the street leaving snow piles on the side of the road. I start pulling out, all wheels slip, no traction, TCS disables all wheels, and I'm not moving. If I turn off the TCS, all is fine. Anyone else notice this? Shouldn't TCS only be enabled at speed?

·
Registered
164 Posts
is it snowing north of the mason dixon already!? ...or is this an issue that was noticed last winter. either way, as far as the tcs is concerned, are you still under warranty? definitely sounds like a faulty tcs control module or something of that sort.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:lol: No snow yet, and last winter wasn't really bad for us in western mass, but the couple times we got snow it was noticed. I'm going to have it looked at next time it's in for service, I just didn't know if anyone else has had this problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So do you keep your foot on the gas and you don't move? or do you lift off the gas? Casue I noticed this as well, but it only delayed the power for second or so then kicked in once it knew the vehicle was stable. Took some getting use to, never had a vehicle with the traction control and Vehicle Stability.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, it's when I'm pulling out onto a main road and have to give it a little extra acceleration. I put on the gas a bit--just enough to not let the wheels slip, but to get into traffic. Then I hit the mound of snow (or am already in it) and no traction. So I figured the TCS was shutting down power to all 4 wheels. I let off the gas and the wheels re-engage, but once was harrowing cuz I was pulling out into some major traffic. It's only happened a few times, and those were always when I was coming out of an unplowed street or parking lot onto a plowed road. Twice was a mound of plowed snow, and twice was just a small amount of plowed snow. I haven't had a vehicle with both traction control and stability control either, so I just learned to turn off the TCS when I'm in those conditions. I got the car in Feb 08, and noticed it shortly thereafter and then again in winter 08-09. In 09 I just got used to turning off the TCS and last winter of 09-10 we didn't get much snow so the couple times I shut it off I didn't even think about it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would suggest you try just leaving you foot on the gas when it cuts the power. I know it's a crazy feeling, I lift off as well sometimes, but the engine will come back on it only cuts for a second. I just bought a Genesis Coupe manual tranny, and it cuts the power too if i'm a little high on the revs in First off the line, the power does kick in after a second.

I turn off the TC as well some times, but see if leaving you foot on gets you going quicker.

·
Registered
152 Posts
wackojacko said:
So do you keep your foot on the gas and you don't move? or do you lift off the gas? Casue I noticed this as well, but it only delayed the power for second or so then kicked in once it knew the vehicle was stable. Took some getting use to, never had a vehicle with the traction control and Vehicle Stability.

Just for reference, this is the EXACT same symptoms when you use lower grade gas and will do it in winter or summer. Make sure you're using premium gas and you might have less of an issue with the TCS in the winter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use 87 octane (as per 3.6L recommendations). It's only happened the few times in the snow that I mentioned. In winter or summer on wet or lightly snowy roads there hasn't been an issue yet. It's only when I pull away from a stop on an unplowed to a plowed road. When I turn off the TCS and just let the awd do its thing I have no problem.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Not to revive an old thread but I thought I might add that our salesman told us we would be wasting our money using premium in our legacy. But after running it on 87 once it ran awful and had a horrible stumble and just felt flat, afterwards we ran it on 93 all the time and never had those issues again. It isn't that much of a difference in a tank of gas, and the premium easily got us 4-5 mpg better than 87.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts