Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very interesting article. Who knew that the Tribeca would share a platform with a Highlander?

http://www.motortrend.com/features/...duct_sharing_to_highlander_tribeca/index.html

Toyota is studying how to more closely converge its products with Subaru, and might share its next-generation Highlander midsize crossover platform with the Tribeca. The two have similar dimensions, notes a source familiar with the tie-in.
As always with Subaru, the sticking point is how to share a platform that would use a longitudinally mounted boxer engine, in the case of the Tribeca, with a transverse-mounted engine, as in the Highlander. The platform also will have to accommodate a hybrid version of the Highlander, and it's a good bet the system would be adapted to the pancake-engine Tribeca.

Toyota tackles the problem with the upcoming FT-86 rear-wheel-drive sports coupe by going with a Subaru pancake engine -- the STI's 305-horsepower, 290 pound-foot version of the 2.5-liter turbo four, our source says. Earlier reports had the FT-86 launching with less-powerful Subaru engines. Toyota's development costs have ballooned, however, and the FT-86 is now seen as a mid-$20s car rather than a sub-$20,000 car.
Subaru's version of the 086A, as the project is known, is still scheduled for 2013 model year introduction and will likely be sold with all-wheel drive only, as part of its differentiation from the Toyota.

Subaru is leading development of the 086A, while the converged crossover platform looks to be more of a Toyota project. To accommodate both types of engines, the platform could be the same from the A-pillar back, but would need a different floorpan from the firewall forward. Subaru's flat engines require specific solutions for crash standards.
As for the crossover/utility vehicles, both the Camry-based Toyota Highlander and the slow-selling Subaru Tribeca are due for replacement in the 2014 model year.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I understand economics and using the same platform for several cars etc, but how much longer will it take before Subaru will really be nothing but a Toyota.....Toyota's are good cars, but I bought a Subaru..... if I had wanted a Toyota I would have bought a Toyota instead of a Subaru....I am not sure I like what is coming down the pike......glad I have my 2010 Tribeca, which is a true Subaru, and it will be a long time before I need another car...

just my two cents......

·
Registered
308 Posts
I agree, they will need to keep the Subaru-ness in it, or they will lose current Subaru customers (though they may gain more new converts than what they lose, which is likely the route they're heading).

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I told my gf who loves her B9. She is disappointed it will take that long for a new Tribeca to come out and that it will share parts with a Highlander.

She really hopes it looks and performs like a Subaru.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I don't think Subaru would let that happen to their cars, esp. after all their recent success, they know what we want.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Profit margins will decide the course to take.
I saw the new highlander at the TOYOTA dealer the other day, not bad.

If Subaru believes they will sell more cars with a combo vehicle, they will build it as a TRIBECA. I HAVE A tundra TRUCK AND THE 09 TRIBECA AND I SEE ALLOT OF SIMILARITIES already in the shape and build of the doors.
Frame is whole different ball game. Give me a Subaru frame over TOYOTA.

If they weaken the frame AND REDUCE THE SAFETY FEATURES, it will no longer be a SUBARU.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.