Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In May I am planning on towing a U-haul double axle trailer for about 1300 miles. U-haul's max weight for the trailer and load is rated around 3000 lbs.

Anyone been on any long trips with a heavy trailer in their B9? If so what was your experience?

I have the towing package with the tranny cooler :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I don't think anyone here has had a towing experience to speak of. Especially not at the max recommended B9 trailing weight.

·
Registered
151 Posts
do you have an 06/07 or an 08?

is your trip filled with hills and mountains or is it relatively flat?

Is the tribecas max allowable towable weight 3000lbs?

If the total weight does not exceed 3000lbs and I sure Subaru has built in a safety buffer when calculating its max towing weight.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Max weight listed for my 07 is 3500 lbs. So 3000 shouldn't be a problem. 08s would probably do better with the added HP/torque. I have the tow package, but haven't towed anything yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hawker thanks for the link to the towing review. Just what I was looking for.

After I make the trip I guess I should post the experience.

Since I have had my B9 I regularly tow a small utility trailer. Sometimes light loads and sometimes heavier loads. The B9 has always performed beautifully.

I also drive the B9 for what it is a SPORT utility. Subaru built the B9 as a clone of the X5 according to some of the car mags when the '06 first hit the streets in '05. I usually have the tranny in sport mode and my right foot buried. Considering it is a 2 ton vehicle with high ground clearance it performes magnificantly thanks to the low center of gravity afforded by the boxer engine. It has it's limits but then all cars do. The only thing I could really ask for is better brakes.

Has anyone noticed how much the B9 looks like the P. Cayenne? I always get a kick when I park near a Cayenne. Sometimes there are 2 or 3 in the parking lot but only one B9. What a dead common car - LOL!

Given the way I drive I am very pleased with the 18 to 19 mpg that I get. I always use premium fuel. Just as in the link to the towing review I have found that different brands of gas deliver different gas mileage. I stick to the better grades of fuel and avoid the discount brands to help keep the milage up.

Sorry about being off topic but I must admit that I love the sophisticated styling of the B9 and the fact the it is a fairly exclusive ride that can be functional while being fun.

Joseph

2006 Mahogany Red Pearl

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Gang! I have 06 with tow package. I tow 19 foot boat on the trailer which is pushing it just a hair over 3500 pounds. I tows just fine. I usually shift manually when I tow. Just be careful with breaks! Subaru has very "soft", somewhat inadequate breaks for such a large vehicle and when you add additional weight you really want to give yourself extra room infront of you. Good luck!

·
Registered
552 Posts
You also get the requisite wiring harness too for trailer lights.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hitch with Subaru plastic cover, coupler with Subaru logo on it(no ball), tranny cooler, wire harness - thats it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How'd it go?

I am a newbie interested how the towing trip went in May. I read the post on the NASIOC page & was happy to hear how well it went. I am looking to tow our pop-up on a few camping trips this summer & am trying to gather as much info as possible. Anyone tow in the mountains? At least one of our trips will have us driving into the Sierra Nevada Mountains (Hwy. 80 near Donner Summit) from the SF bay area. Any tips or suggestions?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Not much help on the towing experience, but since you'll be towing up in the mountains I would give the owner's manual a once over. The towing section has info on the warning lights and what to do. There is even a tranny overtemp light (if I recall), that is not one of the usual warning lights.

·
Registered
107 Posts
mamadino said:
I am a newbie interested how the towing trip went in May. I read the post on the NASIOC page & was happy to hear how well it went. I am looking to tow our pop-up on a few camping trips this summer & am trying to gather as much info as possible. Anyone tow in the mountains? At least one of our trips will have us driving into the Sierra Nevada Mountains (Hwy. 80 near Donner Summit) from the SF bay area. Any tips or suggestions?
I have towed my boat on several occasions in hilly terrain/ small mountains in New Hampshire. Out of my personal experience I did not like the breaks on my 2006. They are inneficient/soft for even tribeca itself not to mention 3500 added pounds. Give yourself PLENTY of head distance, plan ahead for emergency stopping, put gearbox into sports mode and "help" to break down with engine. Expect to hear hi rpms of engine when you are climbing the hill and lots of proper gear "searching" by the gear box. I just put in manually into 3d and and make a decision depending on the grade of the hill. And last but not least - always watch out for idiots who wanna race with you or cut you off when you tow. People do not understand that towing is difficult/demanding for both vehicle and driver. Hope this helps and have a safe trip!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have been towing a Pop-up for about a year. Fully packed it weighs about 2700# and has breaks. The break controller really helps with that soft feel with the Tribeca breaks. The controller allows the driver to fine tune the sensitivity of the trailer breaks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been reading different websites that say a 1.25 receiver isnt good for towing. I want to tow my motorcycle and dont know if the receiver is adequate. any suggestions

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 08 tribeca with a hitch i put on myself. I made a 1500 mile move from breckenridge co, to seattle wa. I had no problems at all. This was driving through the mountains, hills, everyting. The reason the tribeca has that towing capacity is because of the shocks that come on it from what i have been told, you put to much wieght on it, drops the butt of the becca and you will rub your tires.

U-haul also tried giving me flac for it, and i told them that the way my subaru was set up was the reccommended towing for that trailer online. so hope that helps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts